December 17, 2014, 09:51:38 PM

Author Topic: Is there something wrong with my 5D Mark III?  (Read 2130 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Is there something wrong with my 5D Mark III?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 03:41:18 PM »
Also, WB is only one part of the WB control, Tint is the other.

When I shoot tethered I can do an in camera custom WB and it looks good, if I then go into DPP whilst tethered I can re WB that image with the additional Tint control and it shifts, sometimes quite a lot.

But the tint issue in AWB is one I never really did get my head around, if WB just does blue to yellow, then tint, with green to magenta, is every bit as important, particularly for things like stadium gas lights and fluorescent lamps and the multitude of colours they now come in.

Yes, tint is important.  The in-camera Auto WB applies both a color temperature and a tint value.  For example, an image open in DxO on my desktop right now and taken in mixed lighting (tungsten with daylight from a large window) shows As Shot values of 4298 K for the temperature and –27 for the tint (a bit green-shifted, the slider runs from –100 green to +100 magenta).

As far as I can tell, Canon's DPP doesn't show the tint value for RAW images or allow you to edit it...but it's recorded as part of the AWB saved in the RAW metadata.  RAW converters that are more functional than DPP allow you to view and adjust the tint as well as the color temperature.  Just one more reason I don't like DPP...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 03:41:18 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
I suppose the newer cameras with a WB target on a colour wheel are much better than the older cameras that only allowed you to dial in WB on the Kelvin scale. On my 1Ds MkIII's when I put in a personally selected ºK value I get a zero tint value and no in camera way to change it. That's progress for ya.....  :)

Lightroom also displays the camera derived Tint value.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 03:57:05 PM »
I must say that I NEVER use my Canon 50mm F1.4 at apertures larger than F1.8, it is admittedly low contrast and low sharpness.

Whereas Nikon 85mm F1.4 costs at least three times more expensive, it is quite obvious that it will have better picture than Canon 50mm f1.4 when used wide open.

Yes, AWB Canon misses a lot and tends to orange colors. So I also NEVER use AWB.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:09:45 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 04:40:10 PM »
Irrespective of the difference in resolution and WB the Nikon D810 clearly records the model smiling and the Canon records frowning. I'd be much more concerned about this than WB. If you're shooting in raw WB can be corrected in post.

shivac77

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »
My answer may be armature. But if you are trying to know whether your camera is doing rgt or not, then rent a canon 5d and use the same lens with same settings for a static objects. That will clear your question by comparing apples to apples.

zlatko

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 04:51:06 PM »
Granted the white balance is off, but otherwise you are stupefied that a camera with 50% more pixels on the same sensor size and mounted to a lens that frame the subject 50% tighter gives you more details? Now I'm stupefied...

I agree.  Apart from the white balance, the problems are multiple:
  • The D810 resolves more to begin with.
  • The 85/1.4 is a better, costlier lens ... sharper wide open ... as most 85's are sharper than most 50's.
  • The 85 frames the subject tighter, resolving more detail.
  • Reducing the 85mm image to match the 50mm increases the apparent resolution of the 85 image.

Yes, these results are typical when you stack the deck in this way.  Considering the four points against it, the 50/1.4 did rather well!

One can see the same comparison on The Digital Picture (mouse over the image for the 50/1.4):
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=732&Camera=614&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=115&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Also, not sure which 85 that is.  If it is the 85 G from 2010, then it is a much newer design than the 50/1.4 which came out in 1993, early in the EOS era and before the DSLR revolution.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:52:38 PM by zlatko »

kram7211

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 05:03:30 PM »
Does the AWB value change based on whether you use liveview or OVF? My camera is consistently warmer when using the viewfinder. Is this true of all Canon bodies? The only difference in the first two images is one was taken with live view and the other thru the OVF. The first image was 3800k with tint +4, the second was 4300k with tint +6, using the WB dropper in lightroom gave 2900k with tint +6 which is what I usually keep the camera on when shooting in the house.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 05:03:30 PM »

ewg963

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 06:10:52 PM »
You've demonstrated that Nikon's 85/1.4, which is among Nikon's very best performing lenses even wide open, is sharper than Canon's 50/1.4, which is not a particularly sharp lens, particularly wide open.  You make no mention of performing an AF microadjustment/fine tune, which can be critical for sharpness with fast primes shot wide open.

You've demonstrated that Canon's AWB is poor...something most of us know already (although it's better on the 1D X than any other Canon camera I've used).

I'm not convinced you've learned anything beyond the obvious...
+1
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 06:10:52 PM »