October 01, 2014, 08:38:51 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announces the PowerShot SX520 HS & SX400 HS  (Read 4556 times)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Re: Canon Announces the PowerShot SX520 HS & SX400 HS
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 11:45:19 PM »
This is sad.

More PowerShots?

Does anyone else not think Canon is fully asleep at the wheel?

I'm a 1DX owner for goodness sake. Where is high MP? Where is innovative mirrorless? Where is any innovation at all?

Please spare me the "it's coming" hooey. There is very little coming. They are in turmoil internally selling into their installed base and ignoring the competition.

Don't worry, they'll come soon enough.  If you can't wait, feel free to switch to Nikon.  You might want to try 6D first for the meantime.  It's not as high-DR/MP as the D810 but it's the best Canon can offer if you're looking for IQ/MP.

The 6D? what the hell?

Yup.  I've said it.  It's not 5D3 nor 1DX.  That is if you're not considering AF.  If you're shooting stationary (to very slow moving) objects @ apertures not bigger than F2.8 then 6D will give you the best IQ (Moire excluded) among Canon FFs.  You can swear a lot more but that's the reality.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 11:45:19 PM »

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 02:59:41 AM »
What I find most disturbing is the deliberate nerfing. I do appreciate Canon's (admittedly sound) business strategy to tier their products to reach maximum market spread, but sometimes the iteration deltas are too small (650D to 700D case in point).

These cameras should have at least gotten the Digic 5.

drmonkey

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 03:57:52 AM »
All Canon is rebadge old products and call them new! They have got to release new stuff at some point. It seems competitors are coming up with more new stuff. But I guess just beacuse it's new doesn't mean it's better.

The 30x zoom formula of SX500 and SX510 has finally gone due to HX60/SX700. Now all they have done is put a bigger zoom on it and increased the MP, and of course removed the wifi???? I was hoping SX5xx range was dead now SX700 is out.

SX400 is just a SX500 without any of the manual controls, and somehow it's more expensive???

My future predictions are SX60 with all the bells and whistles, and some sort of SX45 which will be a version with all the controls taken away. SX530 will have wifi and that's it.

chmod

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 11:23:52 AM »
Don't worry, they'll come soon enough.  If you can't wait, feel free to switch to Nikon.  You might want to try 6D first for the meantime.  It's not as high-DR/MP as the D810 but it's the best Canon can offer if you're looking for IQ/MP.

I think I said I own a 1DX. Why would I want to downgrade? You may love the 6D, but it's already out of date.

My 1DX is very, very close to being out of date for the simple reason of Canon wishing to sustain their professional channels. This is their prerogative.

They could have a new high MP unit in the channels NOW. They could have an innovative mirrorless body in the channels NOW.

Instead, they announced new PowerShots? A lame cloud storage system? A partnership with MS? A new iteration of DPP?

You may be happy with these new announcements, and that is your right.

I am not.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:51:01 PM by chmod »

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 02:42:10 PM »
If you think 'Hell' is swearing, the Puritans want their hat back.
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 02:08:32 AM »

I think I said I own a 1DX. Why would I want to downgrade? You may love the 6D, but it's already out of date.

My 1DX is very, very close to being out of date for the simple reason of Canon wishing to sustain their professional channels. This is their prerogative.

They could have a new high MP unit in the channels NOW. They could have an innovative mirrorless body in the channels NOW.

Instead, they announced new PowerShots? A lame cloud storage system? A partnership with MS? A new iteration of DPP?

I am not.

For the record, 6D, 5D3 and 1DX isn't out of date.  Your skills will determine mostly if something is out of date or not.  And photography is not all about MP nor AF nor DR.  If you want the latest tech, maybe you should wait till photokina.  Who knows, Canon might make you happy, finally...

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/07/canon-to-make-a-big-splash-at-photokina-cr2/

plam_1980

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 03:19:01 AM »

I am not.

For the record, 6D, 5D3 and 1DX isn't out of date.  Your skills will determine mostly if something is out of date or not.  And photography is not all about MP nor AF nor DR.  If you want the latest tech, maybe you should wait till photokina.  Who knows, Canon might make you happy, finally...

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/07/canon-to-make-a-big-splash-at-photokina-cr2/
[/url]

Too bad it turned out it is a photo competition by Canon India :) (an Update to the same news)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 03:19:01 AM »

Lightmaster

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »
Quote from: chmod link=topic=22001.msg419395#msg419395
Please spare me the "it's coming" hooey. There is very little coming. They are in turmoil internally selling into their installed base and ignoring the competition.

what competition?
They are in turmoil internally

do you make this nonsense up yourself or do you read it somewhere? ???

McTomCat

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 05:44:22 PM »
Nice mirrorless offerings.

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »

Why do you think they don't?  Bear in mind that Canon has the best-selling and most-profitable DSLRs right now.  In light of that, what specific reasons might Canon have for their lack of high-MP body?  Have Canon shooters been flocking to Nikon D8xx bodies?  Or to Sony?

Why do you assume that?  Perhaps we're just realistic.  Nikon has demonstrated that a high-MP body is not as profitable as what Canon is selling now.  Sony has demonstrated the same for mirrorless.  Canon does not want to sell your perfect DSLR just to people like you, they want to sell a popular and profitable body.

It might do you some good to pick up an introductory business textbook.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »