October 23, 2014, 04:57:14 PM

Author Topic: What is your Least Used Piece of Gear?  (Read 11596 times)

Tabor Warren Photography

• EOS M2
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
Re: What is your Least Used Piece of Gear?
« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
Human eye

Field of view

The approximate field of view of an individual human eye is 95° away from the nose, 75° downward, 60° toward the nose, and 60° upward, allowing humans to have an almost 180-degree forward-facing horizontal field of view. With eyeball rotation of about 90° (head rotation excluded, peripheral vision included), horizontal field of view is as high as 270°. About 12–15° temporal and 1.5° below the horizontal is the optic nerve or blind spot which is roughly 7.5° high and 5.5° wide.

Link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_eye#Field_of_view

Either I'm misunderstanding the use of angles here, or this cannot possibly be right. A horizontal field of view of more than 180º would mean I can see stuff that is behind me without turning my head... that's simply not true. I wish it were, because that would be kind of cool.

Alas, with rotating my eyes, I'll grant 180º. Staring straight ahead at a fixed point, with both eyes open, I feel like 120º is a good estimate. With one eye open... 90º?

I think you may be misunderstanding one of the two. If you place your hands on your temples and extend your arms straight out away from you, this is *approximately* 180°, if you wiggle your fingers while looking straight ahead, you should be able to see your fingers on both hands. Not all of us will, but most of us should. If you then keep your head straight and rotate your eyes left your right, you will indeed see past your hand, essentially behind you. If you begin to take your arms backwards, you will notice how far we can actually see behind us. I do not reach close to the 45° mark as suggested, however, I would estimate being closer to 30° past my hand, therefore, I would estimate my potential field of view to be closer to 240°.

Oh yea! and my least used lens is the 17-40L, hands down. I also dropped it last June and it doesn't focus properly anymore...

Cheers,
-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x3, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT x2, 430 EX II, and Godox PB960 x2 | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2014, 03:22:06 PM »
Humm, I'm going to say, my Sekonic light meter.

Just recently sold mine (surprised but Adorama bought it)

Now it is the 300F2.8.  I use the longer glass - this is for my wife to use if she wants a mini-great white :)

Phenix205

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2014, 03:55:12 PM »

Now it is the 300F2.8.  I use the longer glass - this is for my wife to use if she wants a mini-great white :)

Man, you've got a great supportive wife. My wife would say "why do you need another lens"?
5D3 | M | 1v
70-200 II | 24-70 II | 16-35 IS | 100 L | 85L II | 40 | 600EX-RT

TeT

• Rebel T5i
  • I am smiling because I am happy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2014, 04:56:26 PM »
Human eye

Field of view

The approximate field of view of an individual human eye is 95° away from the nose, 75° downward, 60° toward the nose, and 60° upward, allowing humans to have an almost 180-degree forward-facing horizontal field of view. With eyeball rotation of about 90° (head rotation excluded, peripheral vision included), horizontal field of view is as high as 270°. About 12–15° temporal and 1.5° below the horizontal is the optic nerve or blind spot which is roughly 7.5° high and 5.5° wide.

Link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_eye#Field_of_view

Either I'm misunderstanding the use of angles here, or this cannot possibly be right. A horizontal field of view of more than 180º would mean I can see stuff that is behind me without turning my head... that's simply not true. I wish it were, because that would be kind of cool.

Alas, with rotating my eyes, I'll grant 180º. Staring straight ahead at a fixed point, with both eyes open, I feel like 120º is a good estimate. With one eye open... 90º?

I think you may be misunderstanding one of the two. If you place your hands on your temples and extend your arms straight out away from you, this is *approximately* 180°, if you wiggle your fingers while looking straight ahead, you should be able to see your fingers on both hands. Not all of us will, but most of us should. If you then keep your head straight and rotate your eyes left your right, you will indeed see past your hand, essentially behind you. If you begin to take your arms backwards, you will notice how far we can actually see behind us. I do not reach close to the 45° mark as suggested, however, I would estimate being closer to 30° past my hand, therefore, I would estimate my potential field of view to be closer to 240°.

Oh yea! and my least used lens is the 17-40L, hands down. I also dropped it last June and it doesn't focus properly anymore...

Cheers,
-Tabor

Can see my left hand fingers wiggling but not my right, probably wiggling them incorrectly.

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2014, 05:28:03 PM »
My least used gear are my Canon DSLRs and lenses.

scyrene

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2014, 08:06:40 AM »
Wait, are people moving their eyes while they do this? I thought we were talking about the field of view of one or other eye. You can move a lens and cover more of the world, but not in one shot!

As for seeing your fingers waggling with arms held at 180º apart - unless my eyes are unusual (and I've no reason to think they are in that sense), no way. 150-160º for the barest movement, but much less to register what it is that's moving. Of course, it's quite unlike a camera in the sense that a detailed full colour image is only made in the middle (at the fovea), getting less distinct towards the edges (with no moving of eyes or head, remember).
5D mark III, 50D, 300D, EOS-M; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, 24-105L, MP-E, 85L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II, EF-M 18-55; 1.4xIII, 2x III + 2xII extenders; 600EX-RT; EF-M--EF adaptor.
Former lenses include: 70-200L f/4 non-IS, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2014, 08:30:33 AM »
Of course, it's quite unlike a camera in the sense that a detailed full colour image is only made in the middle (at the fovea), getting less distinct towards the edges (with no moving of eyes or head, remember).

Yes I have distinct corner softness. In fact I think the MTF is probably still disappointing some way towards the center.
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2014, 08:30:33 AM »

scottburgess

• EOS M2
  • Canonical Canon
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2014, 02:07:58 PM »

Man, you've got a great supportive wife. My wife would say "why do you need another lens"?

I got my wife hooked on photography.  Now she says, "Can we buy another lens?"   ;)

dppaskewitz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2014, 10:51:15 PM »

I got my wife hooked on photography.  Now she says, "Can we buy another lens?"   ;)

I've tried.  I've really tried.  How did you do it?
5Dc; 6D; M; several lenses.  Enthusiast.

scottburgess

• EOS M2
  • Canonical Canon
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2014, 03:01:21 AM »

We would go hiking, except I would end up stopping every tenth of a mile to photograph something for an hour.  She started bringing books along to read while waiting, but that didn't work very well.  I was shooting film at the time and got her to try it with my spare camera, but she didn't like the lack of immediate feedback and asked me to get a point-and-shoot digital.  I got a full featured Panasonic with great zoom range, knowing she's a geek and would quickly outgrow it.  A year later she says, "This won't do what I want it to."  So I got her our first digital Rebel XTi, which made us both happy! 

That was fortuitous for me, too.  I was shooting Brownie Ladyslippers one day and took a couple photos with her camera so she could see...  After I saw the scanned film images side-by-side with the digital, I used up the last of my film and got another XTi.  It wasn't because of resolution--it's that I was so used to compensating mentally for the slide film colors that I was blown away by the color accuracy.  Now I'm in love with the digital work flow, too.

I had done shows for some years, but when she had some good pieces put together I encouraged her to do her first show during a busy Arts Alive weekend--I played crier on the street below the gallery space, sending dozens of people up to see her work.  She had a blast!  We both had pieces in a big regional art show, and it was fun to sit together in the gallery and watch people huddle around our work and listen to what they said.

So basically my wife learned photography in self defense.  But she loves it, and is branching us out into astrophotography and still life, while I go ever deeper into macro.  We love being able to spend the time together, sharing the beauty of nature and turning some of it into art. 

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2014, 04:14:52 AM »
Hi Folks.
We go walking, I stop every tenth to take a picture, I stop just long enough not to get grabbed by the ear and dragged forwards like a mother used to grab a rebellious teen! (metaphorically speaking)
Did you have to tough out this phase to get where you are or are you just that lucky?

Cheers Graham.

We would go hiking, except I would end up stopping every tenth of a mile to photograph something for an hour.  She started bringing books along to read while waiting, but that didn't work very well.  I was shooting film at the time and got her to try it with my spare camera, but she didn't like the lack of immediate feedback and asked me to get a point-and-shoot digital.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2014, 04:51:38 AM »
I would have said my light meter a few months ago and now I can't stop using it. It's very practical.

But my least use piece of kit is my 40 mm panny. It just sits there in neglect in my camera bag as an object used only when I don't use a 50mm.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2014, 09:34:11 AM »
I would have said my light meter a few months ago and now I can't stop using it. It's very practical.

But my least use piece of kit is my 40 mm panny. It just sits there in neglect in my camera bag as an object used only when I don't use a 50mm.
There's definitely a common theme of little love for the 40mm.  It's a great lens for the money, but other than stitched panos and serving as a body cap for some, it just doesn't seem to fit in most people's workflow.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2014, 09:34:11 AM »

scyrene

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2014, 10:32:11 AM »
I might add I don't use my 9-stop ND filter more than a couple of times a year. But those photos are some of my favourites (if a little predictable), so it has to stay (it's also useful for photographing sunspots!) :)

5D mark III, 50D, 300D, EOS-M; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, 24-105L, MP-E, 85L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II, EF-M 18-55; 1.4xIII, 2x III + 2xII extenders; 600EX-RT; EF-M--EF adaptor.
Former lenses include: 70-200L f/4 non-IS, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2014, 10:43:17 AM »

There's definitely a common theme of little love for the 40mm.  It's a great lens for the money, but other than stitched panos and serving as a body cap for some, it just doesn't seem to fit in most people's workflow.

And yet its CR image gallery has more pages than some popular Ls :).
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2014, 10:43:17 AM »