November 23, 2014, 11:13:11 PM

Poll

When you've shot for a short time (~5min) in medium rain with the 6d...

nothing happened, the sealing seems to have worked
23 (34.8%)
buttons malfunctioned, but it worked again after drying
4 (6.1%)
the camera broke and needed to be serviced
2 (3%)
(see results) I only use my 6d in good conditions
17 (25.8%)
(see results) I don't have a 6d or never experienced bad weather with it
20 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: August 14, 2014, 02:37:19 PM

Author Topic: POLL: 6d weather sealing experiences & warning  (Read 7130 times)

androiduk

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: 6d weather sealing experiences & warning
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2014, 11:28:41 AM »
I was shooting in New York a few months ago and got caught in a sudden rainshower. I went into an office building for cover and noticed they had this unit dispensing free wet umbrella bags. They're great for protecting your camera in a pinch, even with a long lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2014, 11:28:41 AM »

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »
Hi dgatwood.
I think the electronics are the easy bit, but a tide line in the lens might show up if the water gets in the lens. Similarly water in the viewfinder or shutter box would be a problem, high speed burst might splash it around a bit!  :D

Obviously the lenses would have to be similarly sealed if you wanted to actually use it underwater.  Either way, just ensuring that the electronics won't corrode if your camera falls in the pool is the difference between a $600 repair and (at worst) a $100–200 cleaning bill.  And if you design it with drain tubes so that if water does get in the wrong places, it can drain into the lens mounting area in front of the mirror box, you could typically clean it yourself by flooding the camera with isopropyl alcohol, draining it, and letting it evaporate.  (Just use silicone seals; rubber seals would degrade in isopropanol.)

Please also bear in mind that your $5 watch has no user interchangeable parts that make a seal and maintaining the seal guarantee requires battery replacement by an authorised service agent costing $4 so you bin it and buy another!

There are two main reasons for those requirements:

1.  The battery compartment isn't separately sealed, and the main seal isn't designed to stay in place when you remove the back.  This is a cost-cutting measure in a watch that's really cheap and doesn't require you to change batteries every day....

2.  Rubber seals had to be replaced periodically.  With modern silicone gaskets, the operational life can be as long as 50 years, so that shouldn't be much of an issue unless you tear or dislodge the seal.

Both are readily avoidable through proper design.

Reiep

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Pierre Pichot Photography
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2014, 09:11:57 AM »
I used mine last week-end in a large cave with an underground glacier while a violent storm was happening outside => 200% humidity in the air ;D It got its shower while climbing back and I used it with my hands covered in mud, it still lives.

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
I try to cover my 6D if it is raining, as Canon do not seem confident in their communication of the 6D's weather sealing capabilities.  While I believe it is more robust than the sealing on a Rebel SL1, I am betting it is significantly below the level of a 1DX.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2014, 12:20:11 PM »
I used mine last week-end in a large cave with an underground glacier while a violent storm was happening outside => 200% humidity in the air ;D It got its shower while climbing back and I used it with my hands covered in mud, it still lives.
I've never taken a camera into a cave, but used to do a lot of caving (or spelunking for others) and can't remember when I've been more covered in mud & sweat.  I'd be scared to take a 1D X in a cave...so if the 6D can survive that, I'm very impressed!

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2014, 03:12:44 AM »
Fyi all: When my 6D was at Canon service, it obviously self-repaired so that's was the reason why they didn't charge me anything :-p. They did a perfect job at cleaning the camera inside out though and replaced the top dial plate that had fallen off, so I'm a happy camper.

Conclusion: Even if your camera is "broken", it might still be worthwhile to let it dry even for a week before deciding to have it serviced if you have to pay for it yourself. The moisture obviously is very quick to get in, but takes a lot of time to get out.

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 03:42:35 AM »
The moisture obviously is very quick to get in, but takes a lot of time to get out.[/i]

That's the worst part of inadequate sealing. There is an answer though; get an original 5D. The moisture is quick to get in but comes out just as easily  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 03:42:35 AM »

CookieMonster

• SX60 HS
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 04:01:08 AM »

I shot some pics at a festival where the weather was so hot the firefighters constantly used their hose on the crowd. The 6D went through, like the 135L even though it was not sealed. Hid it under my soaked shirt for one hour, between two shots :)
6D | Fisheye 8-15L | 24-105L | 135L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 04:01:08 AM »