October 24, 2014, 09:02:29 AM

Author Topic: NIKON Releasing a Medium format DSLR 50MP  (Read 12203 times)

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

Re: NIKON Releasing a Medium format DSLR 50MP
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2014, 07:26:26 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2014, 09:36:02 AM »
http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/08/canon-doing-market-research-on-medium-format/

Of course, Canon isn't Hasselblad or Phase One, so like Leica, Canon's market research can't possibly be accurate.  ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2014, 10:22:04 AM »
It's ludicrous and I love how you pull the quote out of context everytime.

Well, here is another quote. This one is from Chris Sandstrom, researcher and public speaker at Chalmers University of Technology and the Ratio Institute. From Göteborg, Sweden, he studies disruptive innovation and technological change and researched Hasselblad for his PhD.

This is the concluding line from his presentation on Medium Format Photography in Decline: "The medium format has been declining ever since the early 1980s and will continue to do so until there’s nothing left."

Of course, I'm sure you know more than he does.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2014, 10:38:56 AM »
http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/08/canon-doing-market-research-on-medium-format/

Of course, Canon isn't Hasselblad or Phase One, so like Leica, Canon's market research can't possibly be accurate.  ::)
Wow neuro this makes you look even dumber. It's a rumor at best, canon hasn't said anything, and why would they enter a market where Leica said there is no sales beyond 6000 units? Oh that's right because they know Leica is full of it and will research it anyway.

Canon didn't take Leicas word for it, because they aren't as dumb as you to keep quoting them. They also aren't saying pretentiously about a number because phase1 and Hasselblad aren't just going to give them exact sales figures.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 10:45:48 AM by RLPhoto »

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2014, 03:28:26 PM »

Wow neuro this makes you look even dumber. It's a rumor at best, canon hasn't said anything, and why would they enter a market where Leica said there is no sales beyond 6000 units? Oh that's right because they know Leica is full of it and will research it anyway.

Canon didn't take Leicas word for it, because they aren't as dumb as you to keep quoting them. They also aren't saying pretentiously about a number because phase1 and Hasselblad aren't just going to give them exact sales figures.

I'm guessing its probably less "mistrusting Leica" and more looking into what kind of market could be created with a system that potentially offers improved functionality and/or a lower price than existing MF.

At present you sacrifice quite a lot of functionality going MF relative to Canon and Nikons best 35mm DSLR's, I remember talking to my second cousin who shoots a lot of pro travel photography and he ultimately sold his Hassleblad system and went with a 1DX for that reason.

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2014, 04:29:39 PM »

I'm guessing its probably less "mistrusting Leica" and more looking into what kind of market could be created with a system that potentially offers improved functionality and/or a lower price than existing MF.

At present you sacrifice quite a lot of functionality going MF relative to Canon and Nikons best 35mm DSLR's, I remember talking to my second cousin who shoots a lot of pro travel photography and he ultimately sold his Hassleblad system and went with a 1DX for that reason.
Exactly what pentax is doing and is a big shift for MFD. Inversely, I sold the majority of my 35mm kit and I'm loving MFD. I would probably drop my 5d3 to an aps-c camera if I was in a pinch but I wouldn't let my Blad go so easily.

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2014, 06:23:07 PM »
Exactly what pentax is doing and is a big shift for MFD. Inversely, I sold the majority of my 35mm kit and I'm loving MFD. I would probably drop my 5d3 to an aps-c camera if I was in a pinch but I wouldn't let my Blad go so easily.

The problem Pentax seems to have is that it really doesn't have the resources that Canon or Nikon would in terms of either offering improved features or building a modern lens line-up.

The 645z has more AF points that most MF cameras for example but there all clustered around the centre because its reusing an ASPC AF system, really not much better than your typical central AF point on other MF cameras. As you've said before it lacks LS lenses as well.

With the lens selection on offer today the 645z to me clearly seems to be aimed at the landscape/macro photographer. The problem I'd say is that whilst the body is much cheaper than alternative MF the lenses are not and these markets are very price dependant, there aren't many amateur or pro landscape shooters who can afford to spend $15,000+ on their setup.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2014, 06:23:07 PM »

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2014, 08:55:48 PM »

The problem Pentax seems to have is that it really doesn't have the resources that Canon or Nikon would in terms of either offering improved features or building a modern lens line-up.

The 645z has more AF points that most MF cameras for example but there all clustered around the centre because its reusing an ASPC AF system, really not much better than your typical central AF point on other MF cameras. As you've said before it lacks LS lenses as well.

With the lens selection on offer today the 645z to me clearly seems to be aimed at the landscape/macro photographer. The problem I'd say is that whilst the body is much cheaper than alternative MF the lenses are not and these markets are very price dependant, there aren't many amateur or pro landscape shooters who can afford to spend $15,000+ on their setup.
That's the thing here, Pentax or anyone who can get the 50mp Sony sensor in a affordable body with LS lenses will shift MFD back into reach of the average professional. I certainly would have bought a 645z and a pair of LS lenses assuming that pentax can also manage to make the lenses affordable too. (Which shouldn't be too hard since you can find there older LS lenses really cheap w/ 1/500th syncs.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2014, 08:55:48 PM »