September 18, 2014, 07:50:04 PM

Author Topic: How resistant are L lenses against the shocks/vibrations?  (Read 2721 times)

DominoDude

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: How resistant are L lenses against the shocks/vibrations?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 07:00:10 PM »
I have not tried to say that I'm careless with my gear, but S___ happens at times. Also, I haven't tried to state that gear survives all shocks or rough rides. In my case I took a calculated risk and it backfired, I had enough luck to have a decently working lens afterwards. I only wish I had enough money to be able to have it properly serviced and patched.
If someone has problems with my posts I hope they have enough guts to tell me so.
Yesterday I tried to toss an egg on someone against the wind. Today the yolk's on me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 07:00:10 PM »

Shootitalready

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 10:40:10 PM »
I just finished dropping my EF17-40mm and EF24-105mm, simultaneously, from a height of 1,50m and both are done for!  :o

My EF100-400mm on the other side landed (from the same height) on its mount and I am happy to report that it still works, BUT is stuck in the 135mm position!  :'(

The new Zeiss I recently bought bounced of the tree I threw it at and, apart from minor cosmetic damage, works without any problem. That's GERMAN quality for you!

Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing from the rest of you guys  ::)

No it isn't, it is the luck/back luck of the specifics of the impact. I have damaged L lenses comparatively easily and I have failed to impact my 50 f1.4, a lens with an internet reputation for being more fragile than a badly formed egg, hard enough to ever have to send it in to Canon despite spending over ten years in my bag and having been around the world several times.

The problem with heavier metal lenses is they have more potential energy and they dent, lenses with engineering plastic tend to be lighter and although they deform at the instant of impact they return to their original shape instantly. Many of the newer L lenses have a lot of engineering plastic in them.

Well, TELL THAT TO THE TREE!  ::)

Shootitalready

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 10:48:43 PM »
I comforted myself with the thought that it looked a lot more "pro" with all the scars.

Now we're talking!! That's the spirit!  ;D

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 11:31:48 PM »
I just finished dropping my EF17-40mm and EF24-105mm, simultaneously, from a height of 1,50m and both are done for!  :o

My EF100-400mm on the other side landed (from the same height) on its mount and I am happy to report that it still works, BUT is stuck in the 135mm position!  :'(

The new Zeiss I recently bought bounced of the tree I threw it at and, apart from minor cosmetic damage, works without any problem. That's GERMAN quality for you!

No it isn't, it is the luck/back luck of the specifics of the impact. I have damaged L lenses comparatively easily and I have failed to impact my 50 f1.4, a lens with an internet reputation for being more fragile than a badly formed egg, hard enough to ever have to send it in to Canon despite spending over ten years in my bag and having been around the world several times.

The problem with heavier metal lenses is they have more potential energy and they dent, lenses with engineering plastic tend to be lighter and although they deform at the instant of impact they return to their original shape instantly. Many of the newer L lenses have a lot of engineering plastic in them.

No, the tree already demonstrated it to you.................
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Shootitalready

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 01:31:49 AM »

No, the tree already demonstrated it to you.................

Cut off me legs and call me shorty, but I have no clue as to what you mean by that  :o
Anyway, I hope you do realize it was all just silly banter and that I didn't really threw my brand new Charley Zeiss against a tree...  ???

Cheers!

aekurth

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »
I've been told that sports photographers sometimes find that the vibration from constant air travel will loosen screws on their lens mounts.  I've had this problem frequently with the screws holding on the hot shoe of my Canon cameras.

AcutancePhotography

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 02:17:35 PM »
I've been told that sports photographers sometimes find that the vibration from constant air travel will loosen screws on their lens mounts.  I've had this problem frequently with the screws holding on the hot shoe of my Canon cameras.

You sayin' that Canon shooters often have a screw loose?

I knew it!
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 02:17:35 PM »

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 02:43:13 PM »
I don't mean if lens drops down on the floor. :)  I mean how resistant are they against the shocks let say while driving on a really bad road. Assume that lenses are stored in a padded camera bag. Are those vibrations critical for any kind of  glass displacement inside of lens?

I have wondered about the same thing. But wouldn't you think that the camera and lens would sustain far more shock and vibration while you carry it around your neck than it would inside of a padded bag? At least when I carry it for hikes it moves around bumping my chest and my hip.
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

Legalese78

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 02:56:19 PM »
One night when I was out of town, my pit bull decided she was into my 16-35 f/2.8 II...which means that she pulled it off a shelf that is four feet off the ground, and used it as a chew toy.  I was sure that this was the end of the lens but, honestly, it works perfectly, cosmetic damage aside.

RobertG.

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »
From my own experience the Canon L lenses are quite resistant against vibrations and shocks. Earlier this year I was hiking in northern Thailand's mountains. During a short stop I put down the backpack to take a closer look on one of the wild orchids. Unintentionally I hit the backpack, which started bumbing down the mountain. It were about 50 meters. Half way down the tripod flew out of the backpack and during some bumps the backpack flew up to one meter or more. It finally stopped in the valley of a dry brook. It took me about a half hour just to climb down the steep mountain to retrieve the tripod and backpack.
Nothing was broken and all of the equipment still works fine. Included in the backpack were: a 5DII, TS-E 24 mm II, TS-E 45mm, Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8, TS-E 90mm f2.8 & EF 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 L, a carbon fibre tripod, a dozen filters, my tablet PC etc. Only the ball head and panorama plate got some scratches and a screw was lost. Of course the backpack collected a lot of dust and dirty during its journey. The backpack is a 5-year-old Lowepro Primus AW.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 03:16:31 PM by RobertG. »
5DII | TS-E 17 mm L | TS-E 24 mm II | EF 35mm f1.4 | TS-E 45mm | EF 50mm f1.4 |
Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 | EF 85mm f1.8 | TS-E 90mm f2.8 | EF 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 L

AE1Pguy

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »
Each model of lens is different. Cruise on over to lensrentals.com and look at the reports for individual models. They just tested the new 16-35  f/4, and say it will likely be much more reliable over time than the old 16-35 f/2.8, which can apparently survive a pit-bull attack. I guess maybe the new f/4 will be able to handle a Great Dane?

Anyway, the point is that each L lens model is different, and some are more delicate than others.

archiea

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »
One night when I was out of town, my pit bull decided she was into my 16-35 f/2.8 II...which means that she pulled it off a shelf that is four feet off the ground, and used it as a chew toy.  I was sure that this was the end of the lens but, honestly, it works perfectly, cosmetic damage aside.

Yes except now its a Sixteen to Thirty-Slime lens!!! LOL!!  HA  I kill me..  I'm here all week people..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »