December 21, 2014, 11:02:31 AM

Author Topic: Canada Post Thefts Halt Lens Rentals Canada Service  (Read 4884 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canada Post Thefts Halt Lens Rentals Canada Service
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »

*UPDATE*

We’ve re-opened with a few procedural changes. We will implement these changes on an order-by-order basis.

Original Story

This story pretty much only affects Canadian customers of Lens Rentals Canada, though it has started to make its way around the web.

I own Lens Rentals Canada and have been dealing with the theft of our items while they’ve been in transit with Canada Post. We have only been telling our customers about the issue and had a splash screen on our web site explaining we weren’t taking any new orders. We are doing our absolute best to honour reservations already in queue. We never released this information to the media. However it hit Reddit, and well… that was that. It’s all over the place now.

I did a little interview with CBC here in Canada, although there’s not much I know about the situation at hand. We do hope to have a resolution one way or another in the coming week or so.

There have only been a few instances where I’ve crossed over LRC and Canon Rumors, but I figured I’d answer to the emails I have been receiving from readers that know I wear both hats. I thank all of our customers for their kind words and support, it has been a stressful few weeks for everyone at Lens Rentals Canada and we’ll do our best to do what’s right for you.

Read more about Lens Rentals Canada at CBC

cr

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:00:08 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canada Post Thefts Halt Lens Rentals Canada Service
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canada Post Thefts Halt Lens Rentals Canada Service
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 05:01:59 PM »
I sincerely hope CPC gets themselves squared away and makes you good on your losses; I enjoyed renting a lens from you recently and having mail as an option (over the flakey local couriers) was a distinct perk.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

DominoDude

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 05:25:17 PM »
Oh, that sucks.
I really hope that gets sorted out and solved, before it gives anyone an ulcer. In the best of worlds some of those items on the loose will turn up with their serial numbers on the web so they can be returned to the right owner.

Come on Canadian police officers! Find those thieves!
Perfection - it's ok to strive for it, but never make it your primary goal.

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 08:20:13 PM »
Oh, that sucks.
I really hope that gets sorted out and solved, before it gives anyone an ulcer. In the best of worlds some of those items on the loose will turn up with their serial numbers on the web so they can be returned to the right owner.

Come on Canadian police officers! Find those thieves!

The Mounties always get their man!

In all seriousness though, I really hope that CPC reimburses you for the lost gear.  Ideally you'll get a brand new fleet of rental equipment!  Although that won't make up for lost revenues.

I'd imagine based on the fact numerous parcels were lost, the broken link in the CPC chain is closer to you.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 08:27:41 PM »
I had to stop sending parcels to Canada via the mail a few years ago, too many disappeared or arrived empty.  They were not expensive items, but customers were very disappointed when they receive a empty box.

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 09:41:07 PM »
I ship a small product by Canada Post as well. I have had several shipments not received by my customers. NOW I know why!
It's run by the gvt, so it figures

Joe M

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mayer Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 09:49:26 PM »
I've never been a customer but have the website bookmarked in case one day I should need something.  In any case, it's very disheartening to hear when CPC screws something up and in a case like this, they should be ashamed of themselves and a big "thanks" too for making Canada look bad.  A mail system is supposed to be a national institution but it's slowly becoming a joke and now this fiasco on top of it.  Nice. 
I've rarely had issue sending via CP myself (I send wedding albums to brides and grooms who came to the Niagara for their destination wedding) though those packages aren't worth thousands nor are they of any value to anyone but the bridal couple.  LRC might have to start thinking of using Purolator or someone else.  Purolator has always been good to me too.  I won't mention the other guys who I won't recommend. 
In any case, even though I've not been a customer yet, I hope LRC can remain in business and that this doesn't jeopardize their ability to stay in business or make them second guess staying in business.  It's a shame really to see this happen to anyone. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 09:49:26 PM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 10:14:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about your problems.

I haven't trusted the Royal Mail in the UK for years: increasing competition has created a race to the bottom,  where Royal Mail and the private couriers have driven out costs by hiring temps and subcontracting deliveries. Like you state, it's about trust -but where's the trust between a company and staff that it won't even commit to employing?

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:25:59 PM »
Everything about Canada Post is a joke. I'm sorry this is happening, but it's no surprise considering how it run.

Every year the service gets worse; if they aren't cutting services to Canadians, their employees are stealing property.
Cameras: 1DX, Canon M. Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,  Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon EF 2X III, Tokina SD 16-28mm f/2.8 FX, Canon M 18-55mm IS, Canon M 22mm. Flashes MT-24 580EXII

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear this.  I, too, am not a big fan of Canada Post, but I am sorry to hear both about the thefts and the loss of a valuable service.  It's always a shame to me when something good is spoiled by idiots.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

amejat

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 04:41:21 PM »
removed by moderator

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 09:21:31 PM »
Hi dstppy.
I was really trying not to say that, though that was my first thought too!

Hi Orangutan.
I forgot about Lens Rentals, I have once or thrice recommended reading one of Rogers blog posts for information as I think they are great and easy to read. Perhaps that was where  the confusion arose!

Cheers Graham.

That is the NICEST way of saying **** ***, *** ****** ******* ****** *******.  Which is what I was going to say.  ;D
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 09:18:51 AM »
LR USA is really good.  If I've bought a lens in the last to years, chances are Roger gave it a glowing review.

Hi dstppy.
I was really trying not to say that, though that was my first thought too!

Hi Orangutan.
I forgot about Lens Rentals, I have once or thrice recommended reading one of Rogers blog posts for information as I think they are great and easy to read. Perhaps that was where  the confusion arose!

Cheers Graham.

That is the NICEST way of saying **** ***, *** ****** ******* ****** *******.  Which is what I was going to say.  ;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 09:18:51 AM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 09:25:15 PM »
Craig, totally bummed out to hear about your business loss. I hope the Police nail whoever is responsible for the thefts.

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 09:27:14 PM »
Craig, totally bummed out to hear about your business loss. I hope the Police nail whoever is responsible for the thefts.

I guess they'd have run a...

(wait for it)

Sting operation?

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 09:27:14 PM »