December 21, 2014, 11:16:54 AM

Author Topic: How bad is the AF on 5DmkII really?  (Read 16312 times)

briansquibb

Re: How bad is the AF on 5DmkII really?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 08:47:47 PM »

FWIW, I have one, and I 'trash' it to some extent. 

I didn't say the all people that trash it didn't have one.

If fact not all people that have one trash it as well.

The users that didn't like it are those that want to use the non central points, particularly in low light. The OP specifically stated that he was a central focus point user - there in the context of the question no one found fault with the AF in this thread.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 08:47:47 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »
I have already posted the Kart going 40+ - I think that answers that question

Not really. It's a great shot, but you're panning to follow the car.  I've had plenty of success doing that with manual focus lenses, so to me it says very little about AF capability. Stand at a curve in the track and use your 5DII to shoot an AI Servo burst of the car approaching you at 40+, then show me the keepers from that...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

briansquibb

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 09:03:17 PM »
I have already posted the Kart going 40+ - I think that answers that question

Not really. It's a great shot, but you're panning to follow the car.  I've had plenty of success doing that with manual focus lenses, so to me it says very little about AF capability. Stand at a curve in the track and use your 5DII to shoot an AI Servo burst of the car approaching you at 40+, then show me the keepers from that...

I think it was you that said that it followed well going across the frame - and there is the shot that proves it.

You will find motorsport shooters always take the photos from the side as it gives the impression of speed, so sorry a head on shot is not going to be available.

Kart tracks are tight and twisty and this shot was on the exit from a corner. Not really possible to pan on the angle using manual focus. Here is the exit of the corner from the entrance side - the other shot was taken from trackside of the exit of the corner. I was tracking all through the corner on servo.

(this shot was taken with the 1D4 - just here to show you where the other shot was taken coming out the corner rather than along a long straight)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:05:16 PM by briansquibb »

briansquibb

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 09:18:28 PM »
This is the only wa photo of the track that gives a better view of where the kart was (sorry about the quality) - showing how I had taken it coming stright on and kept it locked in focus. Look for the RENAULT boarding on the right which is behind the kart in the first picture. For the first picture I was standing by the first pole and took the picture as it was past the apex (just moving away from me) To get that picture it is clear that the AF was locked on through the corner when the kart was coming straight on to me.

I think that answers the question about the AF locking on with real evidence.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:21:25 PM by briansquibb »

briansquibb

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 09:24:11 PM »
I think the OP has his answer then - not bad at all

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 09:24:33 PM »
thats in good light though I think the AF achieves lock in good light fine even on the other 8 points not in the center. The issue I have is in low light it just doesnt happen.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:31:56 PM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 09:26:54 PM »
OP said: "How bad is the AF on 5DmkII really?"

My questions would be, how does the 40D (which I own) perform next to a 5DII in regard to AF? I have heard they are very similar, is this the case?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 09:26:54 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 09:30:53 PM »
OP said: "How bad is the AF on 5DmkII really?"

My questions would be, how does the 40D (which I own) perform next to a 5DII in regard to AF? I have heard they are very similar, is this the case?
I have a 40D as well - I went to a 5D and then the5DII and I dont remember the AF having any differences

briansquibb

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 09:36:56 PM »
In my experience low light AF from the 5DII is  good just a bit slow.

Perhaps this article might help you

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/System/Search.aspx?TcmUri=tcm:13-607862&SearchType=3

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2011, 09:41:24 PM »
I think it was you that said that it followed well going across the frame - and there is the shot that proves it.

It was, but it doesn't.  It wasn't the 5DII's AF that was tracking the car, it was you panning the camera, as the background blur attests.  That shot very clearly demonstrates your skill as a photographer, but doesn't demonstrate effectiveness (or lack thereof) of the 5DII's AF system.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 09:45:24 PM »
This is the only wa photo of the track that gives a better view of where the kart was (sorry about the quality) - showing how I had taken it coming stright on and kept it locked in focus. Look for the RENAULT boarding on the right which is behind the kart in the first picture.

I think that answers the question about the AF locking on with real evidence.

Looking at the signage along the side of the frame, it appears that the DoF is rather deep...so, again, I'm not convinced that this is evidence of AF tracking performance.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 09:46:52 PM »
In my experience low light AF from the 5DII is  good just a bit slow.

Perhaps this article might help you

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/System/Search.aspx?TcmUri=tcm:13-607862&SearchType=3

Is that center point only or have your outter 8 points managed to get lock in low light?

LOL at the link
yeah thats why i use back button focus focus lock recompose shoot, works ok with the center point and if the model isn't walking toward you and shooting with wide aperture it would be nice to be able to achieve that initial focus lock with at least 1 of the other 4 surrounding points that sit near where the subjects eye will be in the composition (less movement require in recomposing) the extreme outer 4 points I dont really care actually. Even just making these 4 points around the middle and the center point high sensitivity in future would be  massive improvement
APS-H Fanboy

jaduffy007

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »
I think the question is..."5d2 AF compared to what?" Compared to, say a Nikon D700... a 5d2 in good light, on slow moving subjects it's "B-".  In low light, a C-.  In a studio, shooting portraits... B+.  So for landscape and studio shooters, the 5d2 is a fantastic value.  Throw in video...all the more so.  For PJ and sports?...unfortunately, it's "spray and pray".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 10:24:08 PM »
...and the slow 'spray' means LOTS of 'pray'!

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »
I cannot afford anything in the 1 series, so that leaves me with a 5DmkII or a 7d... 
I keep reading that the AF on the 5 is really pathetic...
I am primarily shooting sports, but those with linear/predictable motion and a fairly big target (e.g. running races, bike races)

If you are primarily shooting sports, you need the right tools. Let's get this straight. The 5DII delivers almost unrivalled files. But it ain't a sports camera. With the budget you mentioned, if you must buy new, the 7D (with a grip) and f/2.8 or faster lenses is the way to go.

But think outside the square for a moment. You clearly need a 1-Series body. The astonishing shots run in Sports Illustrated from the 2004 Summer Olympics were most likely shot on a Canon 1DMkII. Fast forward a bit and you get to the almost legendary 1DMkIIn, a body which I still own and occasionally use. It's as responsive and quick as my MkIV.

Fast forward a little further to the MkIII. The early copies may have had some AF issues but pick yourself up a late MkIII and you have got yourself a VERY respectable sports camera.

Don't worry about a well kept older 1-Series as far as reliability goes. They are carved from a solid lump of Unobtanium. My 1DMkIIn must have over 500,000 actuations and still looks like new and purrs like it did when new. And for shooting action it will beat the pants off any 7D.

Paul Wright

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:50:33 PM by pwp »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »