December 11, 2017, 02:35:00 PM

Author Topic: Studio lighting advice for a newbie  (Read 10458 times)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
Re: Studio lighting advice for a newbie
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
check out the cyber commander manual PDF from the buff website. lots of nice features. the metering was one of the benefits i really liked - single lights or groups, ambient, etc.

will be taking the commander off camera to do the metering and adjustments, then putting it back on hot shoe for shooting.
It definitely looks cool and I already have the CyberSync Trigger so I'd be able to leave that in the hotshoe and just use the Commander for metering and adjustments off camera.
CPS Score: 111 points, those 0 and 1 point items really add up

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 08:31:31 AM »
i ended up with 1 einstein e640, 1 matthews medium maxi steel kit stand, 1 matthews 10lb. boa bag, 1 buff omni reflector, 1 51" PLM soft silver & diffusion fabric, and the cyber commander with the newer receiver for the e640 chassis. total was around $1050 inclusive.

In Europe, were some US brand may be not available or easy to find, I found a good choice to be the Elinchrom "To Go" sets. For example the DX-Lite RX 4/4 To Go comes with two 400W/s units, stands, 66cm softboxes, one 90° reflector, wireless transmitter (also able to set unit power) and bags to store and carry everything.  Looking around I was able to find it below €800 (RX-One 100W/s and RX-Lite 200W/s units are cheaper), and also Elinchrom offers some cheaper "entry level" kits for softboxes, umbrellas and reflectors/grid.
Anyway, they use the same mount of other Elinchrom products, and compatible ones.
These are good versatile starting kit and not overly expensive,  if one is really interested in studio lighting,  and cover a good range of needs from product/still life to portrait.

MonkeyB

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »
i definitely looked at the d-lites but found some build issue reports with the units and also the trigger for the camera shoe (skyport issue in general). didn't notice a battery option either. i'd rather go with the bowens gemini myself, if in europe.

also found it better to go my own path with stands and mods, instead of the kit - but for the price the d-lite to-go is a great value.

also saw that phottix has announced a portable mono with battery and TTL/HSS at 500w for around $1300 for october release. maybe another option for those who want the modern tech.

Canon 6D  /  24-70 f2.8 L II  /  PCB Einstein

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
i definitely looked at the d-lites but found some build issue reports with the units and also the trigger for the camera shoe (skyport issue in general). didn't notice a battery option either. i'd rather go with the bowens gemini myself, if in europe.

The units are manufactured in India to keep the price relatively low, but I have no issues with my set. The actual D-Lite RX looks better built than the previous IT model. The stands are also economical models, but they support the units well, and I can also use the with a Manfrotto boom without issues - just added a sandbag.
They come also with the newer Skyport Speed. The good of the Skyport is it's very small and light, the downside is it's run by a button cell, if it's almost depleted it could work erratically, better to keep a spare around because it's not a common type.
The system is also compatible with the USB controller that allows units to be configured from a Windows or OSX PC. There's no portable battery option if you need it, probably not to eat into the Quadra product.
Sure, you can get build a better kit buying separate items, but for a beginner this is a simple comprehensive and versatile solution.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »