Canon Rumors General > United States

Broken tripod collar

(1/4) > >>

sheedoe:
Hi all...

So my wife accidentally dropped my Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II lens (in its case) and broke the knob off of the tripod collar. Is there any way to get this fixed besides getting a new one? I can't seem to find the original anywhere. Although there is one seller on ebay who just posted it but the item has heavy signs of usage which I don't like. My lens feels naked without it and I would hate to put in a non-canon ring on this beautiful lens. Please help!!

awinphoto:
why dont you try a drop of epoxy in the hole of the broken knob (gosh that sounds wrong)... and give it some time to dry with then affixed?  Dont put enough to spread/leak onto the casing (in which your knob would be nothing more than a permanently attached paper weight)... just a drop with a qtip?  Other than that send it into canon and have them fix/replace the part?

sheedoe:
Thanks for your input. I will probably try the second option since I can't find the other smaller piece of that knob and it would just look weird without it.

dougkerr:
Hi, s,

Here's a non-Canon replacement for $8.99 with free shipping:

http://www.gadgettown.com/Tripod-Mount-Ring-Canon-EF-70-200-2-8L-D00465.html

I bought their one for the 70-200 f/4L IS USM, and it is lovely!

Best regards,

Doug

sheedoe:
Thanks Doug. I actually ordered one just like that from eBay as a temporary fix until I either get this repaired or get a new OEM one. It'll just bug me till I get my lens back to its original form.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version