December 20, 2014, 08:17:52 AM

Author Topic: Lens setup for wedding photography  (Read 3365 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Lens setup for wedding photography
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 02:40:07 AM »
10-22
50mm
70-200mm
Speedlite for af assist and use little flash.

Enjoy the wedding and don't jump in front of the paid photographer.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:42:50 AM by RLPhoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 02:40:07 AM »

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 06:16:07 AM »
10-22
50mm
70-200mm
Speedlite for af assist and use little flash.

Enjoy the wedding and don't jump in front of the paid photographer.

+1 - flash will be useful in the evening or to fill if there are lots of shadows on a sunny day.  Have fun!
Canon 1D, 5D, 5DIII, 70D, 60D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM,
 Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM,  12-24 DG HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

kevl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 10:27:48 AM »
Not the official photographer?
Then just the 50, be everywhere while staying out of the way.

+1

This is exactly the best advice. The couple is paying a photographer (who may well be brining a team) please don't make their job harder.

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 04:27:55 PM »
I would suggest the 10-22, 50 and leave the 100mm in a bag unless you are very far off the bride and groom during speeches, in church etc. I wouldn't take the 70-200 as it isn't an IS lens and it is massive and very conspicuous. I'd leave the kit lens at home and focus on the wider angle shots. The 50 will be perfect for getting some nice shots of various friends etc. Take the flash but leave it in the bag with the 100mm if you can.

As for the official photographer, there are two ways to really go about it. First and best solution is to have a friendly chat with him (or her) and say you want to get a few photos of the evening but that you will stay out of the way. Second is to just stay out of the way and not draw too much attention. A rebel with a 10--22 or 50 1.8 will not draw attention but if you stick the 70-200 on it will. As for flash, just use the pop up flash, it will work pretty well for some light fill.

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »
Hi,

I will attend to a wedding ceremony on the next weekend. However I'm an unofficial photographer I would like to use the right gear to optimize my work. I have the 700D body and the following equipment.

• EF-S 10-22
  • EF 50 f/1.8
  • EF 70-200 f/2.8L
  • EF-S 18-55 IS STM
  • EF 100L macro
  • Speedlite 430 II

Considering I would like to spare weight, what combination would you use?

Thanks for advice

Given you are not the paid photographer, I would  take the 50mm f/1.8 only.  And if you really must take another lens, the 100L macro.  Leave the flash at home.    My opinions, of course.

JonAustin

• Canon 70D
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 07:00:30 PM »
I wouldn't be an official wedding photographer for any amount of money ... too much pressure (for me), and too many amateurs with P&S cameras or cellphones flashing away over your shoulder.

That said ... I'm an enthusiastic unofficial photographer at many weddings I attend. I'll only take one body and one lens, either a standard zoom or a fast prime in the 85-100mm range.

I keep my camera at the ready, but only shoot during the ceremony (from my seat) if others are, as well. If no one besides the official photographer is shooting during the ceremony, then I don't either. However, if there are P&S and cellphone cameras clicking and flashing throughout the audience, I'll take my shots without guilt (and without flash).

During the posed shots after the ceremony and during the reception, I'll shadow the official photographer discretely, and only take my shots (with flash, as appropriate) if / when he gives permission after he has gotten his shots. If he doesn't allow it (or ignores everyone else), I let him go about his business unmolested.

Never had an issue, and have come away with some great shots. I always send a disc of processed images to the newlyweds, some of which have been preferred over the official photog's offerings.
Photographic equipment

cellomaster27

• EOS M2
  • Capture the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »
Not the official photographer?
Then just the 50, be everywhere while staying out of the way.

+1...let's the pro does his/her best.

Although I would love to have a capable "photographer" at every table/group if possible.  There are many moments that are missed because there is only so much one or two pros can cover.

I remember placing those disposable 35mm film cameras at each table when my wife and I got married.  I was expecting a lot of shots to be bad, but I wasn't expecting THAT many shots to be bad.  I'm pretty sure it was not worth the cost of those disposable cameras and the cost of processing the film for what we got out of it.  Cell phone cameras are a lot better than those crappy disposable cameras, but a lot of those shots are still no better (as observed  from all the FB links from a recent wedding we attended).

I was attending a wedding recently.. did not take my camera but what I saw was disturbing.. 24-105, 24-70 F4, 16-35, on both wedding shooters.  Then I saw an audience attendee with a nikon D4s and a 70-200 2.8 (hopefully saved the day).  And just by observing the wedding photographers, no offense, made me very worried as to if they will get many usable shots.  The moments, which I would consider important (kissing, putting on the ring, etc), they were shooting at the sides or far down the aisle with those lenses.  yikes.   Since you're not the official photog, you don't need all that gear.  But if I were you, I would take the 50 and the 70-200.  The 70-200 is definitely a large lens but allows you to stay back and snap some shots.  Maybe take the wide angle?  Definitely not the flash if you take the 50.  Spare batteries and most importantly, enjoy the wedding.  cheers

The important thing is, did you see they carry any flashes?

To get sharper images, most wedding pros prefer to shoot with flashes indoor. 

Well, the wedding was outdoors so no need for flashes at that point.  But I mean one photographer with the 24-105 was way down the aisle when the bride and groom kissed (not paying attention) and the other was taking photos of the wedding party from the sides with a wide lens.  I was so disturbed.  Plus you could hear the shutter going spray mode while the photographer(s) was moving..  Yikes.  I was so distracted. 
They did have some flashes setup for the indoor reception in various strategic locations. 
100D, EOS M, EF-M 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, EF-M 22mm f2, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM f3.5-5.6, EF 28mm f1.8 USM, EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro USM, EF 40mm f2.8 STM, EF 85mm f.18 USM, EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 430 EX II, kata 3n-1 22, triggers, lighting, stands, remotes, etc...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »