December 19, 2014, 04:47:31 PM

Author Topic: NEW ___ Sell Your Gear - Beta Test  (Read 5657 times)

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
NEW ___ Sell Your Gear - Beta Test
« on: August 05, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »
Those interested in testing a beta photography equipment selling board may contact me to signup.  This is for test purposes only, and only the first 15 who have 30 or more posts will be accepted.  If you do not have at least 30 posts, you will have to wait for a later test, or for the final implementation.

The Beta has been extended for about 2 months, because a major revision to the forum is in the works and its wise to test on that  before any firm implementation.  I typically give members a two month trial period, but can extend it on request.

I'll  let those who are accepted know, and post a update here when the beta is full.  I don't know when the beta will be ready to start, we have had some very preliminary tests with the moderators and three members.

If all works out, then the site owner (Craig) will decide on giving a ok to open it up to a wide group of users.

The Beta will have its members removed from the new selling board (Not from CR) before it can move to production, this is a limitation of the subscription based software.

The Production Version will likely be available only to members who have a significant number of posts. It is also planned to charge a fee (TBD) via PayPal to use the service.  The fee will probably be $15 for a 90 day period, but its not determined.

Canon Rumors is not responsible for any scamming or failure of purchased equipment to meet your expectations.  We merely put you in touch, but from that point on, you must accept the risk.

Using PayPal can reduce the risk, you must use it properly.

Anyone caught misusing PayPal by violating or flaunting their rules will be permanently banned.  For example, PayPal rules do not allow asking buyers to pay surcharges.

"4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions."

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:02:52 PM by CR Backup Admin »

canon rumors FORUM

NEW ___ Sell Your Gear - Beta Test
« on: August 05, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »

JumboShrimp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Forum Beta Test
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 03:47:14 PM »
Huh?

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 04:01:20 PM »
Huh?

I'm assuming that Huh is for why only members with 200 or more posts.  On that accord, I 2nd your Huh?

???   ???

I've personally never encountered a restriction based on posts but after all -- its a beta site, ergo 200+ posts qualifies you as a beta tester.
6D, 5DMKII, Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, 24 1.4L, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »
Awesome news
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

JumboShrimp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 05:43:50 PM »
My "huh?" was because I did not understand the original post and what the message was. Perhaps someone could translate ... ?

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
My "huh?" was because I did not understand the original post and what the message was. Perhaps someone could translate ... ?

In essence, the post is saying that the (owner of CR) is closer to making a decision on providing a classified (buy/sell) section on CR, so that CR members have an outlet to buy and/or sell photographic equipment and that PayPal will be the mechanism to handle transactions between buyer/seller. 

But first they want to test (beta) and gather some data on how this will work before making the feature widely available.
6D, 5DMKII, Samyang 14 2.8 IF ED UMC, 24 1.4L, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 04:47:47 PM »
Huh?

I'm assuming that Huh is for why only members with 200 or more posts.  On that accord, I 2nd your Huh?

???   ???

I've personally never encountered a restriction based on posts but after all -- its a beta site, ergo 200+ posts qualifies you as a beta tester.

The reason for 200 posts was merely to keep me from having to deal with hundreds of requests.

I'll open it up to requests from those with 30 or more posts, I have to manually add each person to the test forum, so I did not want too many asking to try it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 04:47:47 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 04:51:10 PM »

In essence, the post is saying that the (owner of CR) is closer to making a decision on providing a classified (buy/sell) section on CR, so that CR members have an outlet to buy and/or sell photographic equipment and that PayPal will be the mechanism to handle transactions between buyer/seller. 

But first they want to test (beta) and gather some data on how this will work before making the feature widely available.

Yes.  That.   Thanks lilmsmaggie:)

Think of it as a way for the powers that be at CR to offer a service to those that frequent the forum often and contribute consistently.  Up to now, any post that discusses selling has been against the rules for a variety of reasons and was pulled with a warning to the member.  CR is considering trying to relax that restriction a bit but not so much that a lot of scams occur.

For instance, when I want to sell an expensive L lens, it would be nice to toss out a quick sales notice to CR members who I already communicate with often and give them a chance to buy it.  They already understand its value and there is a level of trust based on familiarity.  Heck, I may have bought the lens originally because of CR discussions in the first place!

I don't think CR wants to become another eBay, FredMiranda or CraigsList site for photographers.  They are simply trying to help out and give back to CR members that have demonstrated integrity and whose contributions raise CR above other sites.  Unfortunately, a buy/sell section is a lot of work along with liability which is why it hasn't happened before.  Plus, to do it well, it requires software that CR doesn't currently have.

I think it's great that CR is willing to take a few risks and put forth the effort with this beta for the benefit of members.   :D
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »

Exactly, there is a lot of concern among the moderators that buyers and sellers will have issues with scams or just not getting what they expected, or getting equipment that has problems, and sellers can be scammed as well.

This will cause a lot of extra work for the unpaid volunteers.  The small fee that will be charged is intended to pay them a little or give a Christmas bonus or gift.

While I suggested using your credit card via PayPal as a relatively safe way to do business remotely, its totally up to the buyer and seller.  They can use bitcoin or any other way that they agree on to do business.  We are out of that loop.

JumboShrimp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 12:15:40 AM »
Thank you all very much for clarifying the post and my "Huh?" response. I now understand ...

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: NEW ___ Sell Your Gear - Beta Test
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »
Only a small handful of users have asked to try out the buy and sell forum, at this point, I'm wondering if the effort already expended was time wasted.

Has anyone sold anything or received questions?

polarhannes

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »
Well, I'd like to sell my Sigma 35 ART and my two California Sunbounce reflectors, but I obviously do not qualify for your beta test.
Maybe others feel the same way I do?
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »
I am backed up but do have a few things I'd like to list this week, one of which is a 1VHS with only 38 rolls of film through it and every bit of packaging and paperwork you got with it. I am already accepted for posting so I hope you keep it open at least a while longer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »

IgotGASbadDude

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »
I am backed up but do have a few things I'd like to list this week, one of which is a 1VHS with only 38 rolls of film through it and every bit of packaging and paperwork you got with it. I am already accepted for posting so I hope you keep it open at least a while longer.

Ahh, man, I need to be included in this beta because that is EXACTLY the camera I have spent all summer searching to purchase on Craigslist. I can find an occasional copy but it's always in a different state.  :-\
1DX less than 2 weeks away! 5D3, 400 5.6 L, 70-200 L, Sigma 50 1.4 Art, 40 pancake, 70-300
And about a million miscellaneous photo items!

lilmsmaggie

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »
Only a small handful of users have asked to try out the buy and sell forum, at this point, I'm wondering if the effort already expended was time wasted.

Has anyone sold anything or received questions?

A lot of people could be on vacation, holiday.  Depending on where you live, kids could be still out of school for summer break, or now that summer break is over, parents are scrambling with back-to-school activities.  Could be not enough people interested had enough posts to qualify.  Could be a lot of reasons.

I debated selling some of my film gear to KEH this past weekend since they were in the S.F. Bay area but considering what KEH would have offered plus the 4 hrs of driving I would have to and from the Bay Area just wasn't worth the effort.  I have stuff just not sure if anyone is interested.  Also, if there are any astrophotography buffs out there, I have stuff they may be interested in as well -- NIB stuff.

Not advertising -- just saying.   ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »