June 19, 2018, 08:47:32 AM

Author Topic: NEW ___ Sell Your Gear - Closed  (Read 33111 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: NEW ___ Sell Your Gear - Beta Test
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 02:18:40 PM »
My understanding is anybody can buy from the listings, you only need to be pre approved for posting.

But I'll have it up in the next couple of days, I actually have two of them, one with 36 or 38 rolls (I forget but it is recorded in the camera) and one with less than 60, the second one spent a few years in my bag as backup so has a few rub marks, the first is very clean.

If you want to PM me then feel free, don't worry Backup Admin I won't cut CR out of anything.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 02:18:40 PM »

infared

• EOS 5DS R
  • Kodak Brownie!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 02:56:16 PM »
Only a small handful of users have asked to try out the buy and sell forum, at this point, I'm wondering if the effort already expended was time wasted.

Has anyone sold anything or received questions?
I have had a lot of lookers, but no questions and no buyers. I think my item is priced right for what it is. I have it listed on eBay, too (for sale, not auction), so I am not sweating it and in no real hurry to sell. The lens is definitely high-end specialty item...so I have to find just the right buyer who wants to save some money.
5D III +BG, 5D IV +BG, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Rokinon 15mm f/2.4,  Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 35mm f/1.4L II, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f/1.2L,  Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II & 1.4x III

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 04:32:21 PM »
Well, I'd like to sell my Sigma 35 ART and my two California Sunbounce reflectors, but I obviously do not qualify for your beta test.
Maybe others feel the same way I do?

Why Don't You qualify??  It is not obvious to me.

"Those interested in testing a beta photography equipment selling board may contact me to signup.  This is for test purposes only, and only the first 15 who have 30   or more posts will be accepted.  If you do not have at least 30  posts, you will have to wait for a later test, or for the final implementation.
"

RustyTheGeek

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 05:09:34 PM »
I suspect there are several reasons...

1.  It is likely that many folks just don't know.  If possible, I think it would be a good idea to have another heading at top of the site next to the existing 8 topics (CanonRumors, Forum Home, Help, Search, etc...) that simply says something like "Selling" or "Trading Post" perhaps.  It would be a HUGE advantage if a number could update next to it showing new or total items listed so folks would always know things were being listed.

2.  I agree that this time of year, a lot of folks are simply offline a lot, out of town, on vacation, busy with family, getting ready for school or out shooting pictures.

The overall problem with large forums is that things get buried, hidden, etc because the threads and topics are a top-down design and new stuff is only seen if the tree is navigated.

So overall, I think a lot of folks either don't know the beta Trading Area exists, they are unsure how it works, they have forgotten or they are offline anyway.

Rusty
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

DominoDude

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »
I'm on the wrong continent, otherwise I would be more than happy to sell items on here. If I had enough money I would even trust a few of you enough to buy gear from you.

Vivid Color

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 07:27:04 PM »
I have at least one lens I'd like to sell. If the beta test is still open, please add me. Thanks!

Vivid

celltech

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 07:36:22 PM »
I actually have several lenses I want to sell...please add me to this test.

I love this idea...I feel people on this forum understand how a lens actually works and will not cut off communications when told there is actually a speck or two of dust in a pumper :-)
Bodies - 5D3, SL1, EOS M  Primes - 135 f/2 L, 85 f/1.8, 50 f/1.4, 40 f/2.8, 22 f/2  Zooms - 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L, 24-70 f/2.8 L II, 17-55 f/2.8, 10-18 f/4.5-5.6 IS, 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 07:36:22 PM »

TexPhoto

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »
Sign me up please.

Gareth

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »
I had to go through the forum list twice to find the "For Sale" forum.  Since the actual forum name is just "Cameras and Lenses" and the header is grey text against black (so it doesn't jump out at you).  That, and it's named "Photography Equipment Sales", so it's the third word in before you see "Sales".  Consider renaming the forum name to "For Sale: Cameras and Lenses" to make it easier to find.

As a buyer, I'd be looking to pay a little less than eBay prices, figuring the seller is saving 6-10% on eBay fees (plus 2.9% for PayPal, but that would probably still be paid), and I know eBay has my back if a transaction goes bad.  In general, I want to save at LEAST 20% buying used, preferably 25-30% or more.  If the sellers are only asking 10-15% less than new (as a couple of these listing are), I'll either buy new, refurb'd, or find somewhere else to buy used (especially if the eBay prices will save me another 10% or more).  It's the same reason I don't buy a lot of photography equipment on Craigslist; Sellers are asking too much.

Now some sellers might list high intentionally with the expectation to negotiate, but if you list too high, buyers might be put off and thus there would be very little contact/activity.  Or, sellers might just be waiting for that one buyer willing to pay (which, quite frankly, is what I do on Craigslist sometimes, but I fully expect it might take weeks, if not months to sell an item that way).

Act444

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
Cool idea!

Is this fee going to be a one-time fee or a monthly subscription type fee?

KeithBreazeal

• EOS 5DS R
    • Keith Breazeal Photography
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 11:57:44 PM »
Great idea and good timing.  Might see a lot of 7Ds & 5D Mark IIIs hitting the boards.  It's fair to charge for the service- somebody has to do all the "background work".  Hope this takes off and people play fair.
Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 5DS, 5D Mark III, Canon M5, 7D, SL-1, Canon 300L 2.8, 100-400L IS, 70-200L IS, 24-105L, 10-22mm, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • EOS 5DS R
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 11:35:05 AM »
We now have 10 signed up to try it, room for 5 more.

The test is going to expire in October.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • EOS 5DS R
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »
I had to go through the forum list twice to find the "For Sale" forum.  Since the actual forum name is just "Cameras and Lenses" and the header is grey text against black (so it doesn't jump out at you).  That, and it's named "Photography Equipment Sales", so it's the third word in before you see "Sales".  Consider renaming the forum name to "For Sale: Cameras and Lenses" to make it easier to find.

As a buyer, I'd be looking to pay a little less than eBay prices, figuring the seller is saving 6-10% on eBay fees (plus 2.9% for PayPal, but that would probably still be paid), and I know eBay has my back if a transaction goes bad.  In general, I want to save at LEAST 20% buying used, preferably 25-30% or more.  If the sellers are only asking 10-15% less than new (as a couple of these listing are), I'll either buy new, refurb'd, or find somewhere else to buy used (especially if the eBay prices will save me another 10% or more).  It's the same reason I don't buy a lot of photography equipment on Craigslist; Sellers are asking too much.

Now some sellers might list high intentionally with the expectation to negotiate, but if you list too high, buyers might be put off and thus there would be very little contact/activity.  Or, sellers might just be waiting for that one buyer willing to pay (which, quite frankly, is what I do on Craigslist sometimes, but I fully expect it might take weeks, if not months to sell an item that way).

Everyone has their theory.

Some feel that buying from a actual photographer who knows and cares about his equipment is worth something.  Some are just looking at price, and that's fine too.  Make a offer to a seller if you think his price is more than the going rate.  I'm sure that Photographers would rather their equipment go to a buyer who is experienced as well.

One of the reasons CR is only opening the forum to those who have been here for a while is to let buyers look at previous member posts and form their own opinion.

CR is not going to set prices or mediate arguments, so you do have to consider that. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 10:43:31 PM »
Personally, I think it's a win/win if good gear can be transferred from one dedicated owner to another who have a working familiarity with one another thanks to the forums.

Personally, I think it's a win/win if good gear can be transferred from one dedicated owner to another who have a working familiarity with one another thanks to the forums.

(Sorry Admin, I couldn't resist "copying" you!)  ;D
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Haydn1971

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • UK based, hobbyist
    • My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 09:51:35 AM »
Just a thought, if this goes live, perhaps if there are sufficient posts per week, a split into country / regions might be useful - I may be interested in buying a lens in the UK, but not so one in the US for example
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M6, EOS M,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 35mm f2.0 IS, M11-22, M18-55, M18-150, M55-200, M22mm, Lensbaby (lots), EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 09:51:35 AM »