December 19, 2014, 08:08:30 PM

Author Topic: Critiques  (Read 2108 times)

nineyards

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • nineyards photography
Critiques
« on: August 05, 2014, 11:03:46 PM »
On occasion I have read on here that this is a mainly gear forum, but from what I see, posting and viewing photos has evolved into large part of being here also, and it's fun to show your stuff
I wonder if a critique section on Canon Rumors would be welcome or if it would be just asking for trouble, I know some critiques can be absolutely scathing and can lead to some pretty intense dialogue on either sides of the fence, but I have read some pretty heated gear and technical arguments on here that have indeed crossed over into veiled and not so veiled insults and accusations, but after all is said and done all party's have emerged relatively intact, with perhaps one exception of a fellow who I believe was banned but returns sometimes incognito to bless us with his wisdom
Vincent
the times you feel most like quitting are often the times you can least afford to

canon rumors FORUM

Critiques
« on: August 05, 2014, 11:03:46 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Critiques
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 11:26:57 PM »
Whilst I like the idea, it never works. Anybody that offers honest critiques, basically anything other than "fantastic shot _____" or "really nice, what lens/aperture/program mode/shutter speed did you use?", gets pilloried by the posters fan base.

Few want a true critique, most want affirmation of the purchasing decisions, and I see nothing wrong with that in its place, but it leads to boring well done, nice shot style threads.

nineyards

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • nineyards photography
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 11:57:56 PM »
Never thought of that, I guess it could get pretty stale going to the other extreme
Vincent
the times you feel most like quitting are often the times you can least afford to

agierke

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 12:44:14 AM »
A critique to me is an opportunity to tell me what I missed, did wrong, or could do better. It's the probably the best way to improve and grow IMO. What is gained by meaningless affirmation and empty back slapping? Nothing...

There were always two things i hated in critiques. One, if poeple said "i like it" or two, if poeple said nothing at all. Unfortunately I agree with PBD. I think there are too many big and fragile egos on this site to handle an honest critique session and it would most likely devolve into simple affirmations.

But heck...if you desire a critique, throw an image up and see what happens!
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 01:07:54 AM »
In theory, it sounds like a good idea.  You could always just post some photos asking for critiques.  A dedicated section on the site might be interesting, but I'm not sure how productive it will be.   The problem with written critiques is that you lose a lot of communication cues from the reviewer. And despite how much you might want honest feedback, most people only like honest feedback if they're saying how awesome your photo is - human nature is such that we perceive a comment which isn't positive as being negative.  And that means that anyone providing a critique really needs to take time to consider the photo and write their thoughts appropriately.  That takes time and might be difficult to maintain if there is a constant stream of photos.
Camera Obscura

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 01:35:39 AM »
My 2cent. If the OP shares and asks for critiques in his/her photos, then critiques are welcome.

How we write it is very important. Be respectful and choose your words properly.

Good thread by the way :)
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

nineyards

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • nineyards photography
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 02:08:54 AM »
In theory, it sounds like a good idea.  You could always just post some photos asking for critiques.  A dedicated section on the site might be interesting, but I'm not sure how productive it will be.   The problem with written critiques is that you lose a lot of communication cues from the reviewer. And despite how much you might want honest feedback, most people only like honest feedback if they're saying how awesome your photo is - human nature is such that we perceive a comment which isn't positive as being negative.  And that means that anyone providing a critique really needs to take time to consider the photo and write their thoughts appropriately.  That takes time and might be difficult to maintain if there is a constant stream of photos.

I have read some genuinely informative critiques, well written with no hint of condescension whatsoever by individuals with no other desire but to educate and enlighten, ideally this site would need a dedicated team of reviewers specific to the critique section of this site who are qualified and respected (as are the technical gurus in this venue) due to the time and effort a truly effective critique would require, quite an undertaking I have come to realize after reading these replies, and of course, the more thin skinned of us might be chased away from the site by taking offence to any negative reviews
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:16:15 AM by nineyards »
Vincent

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 02:08:54 AM »

benperrin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Perrin Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 02:22:36 AM »
I tend to agree with Privatebydesign. Few want honest critiques and are really just looking for praise/likes. I think honest critiques are the only way to go. As long as people can be honest without being rude I'd love to see some critiques happening. Just don't cry if you learn that you actually can improve. :)

Salomon

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 03:51:28 AM »
I think its a great idea, as long as its not condescending. For me personally, if I'm going to post a picture into a critique thread, I definitely wouldn't expect backpadding, instead more honest opinions and that would be fine, because that's the whole purpose.
Maybe someone moderating would also be a possibility to keep the thread clean of "mean comments" and "fanboyism".

Or something similar to this site: http://www.fotocommunity.de/spezial/agorabilddiskussion-intensiv/18577

The short translation:
You send in 2-3 pictures and give some information about its origin, your thinking behind this, what do you want to know especially and so on. They chose a picture and upload it with their account, so it will be anonymous. You are not allowed to discuss yourself. If you want, you can send another mail after, about what you learned and your opinions on the whole discussion. Also, it's possible to reveal yourself in the end.
Statements like "thats great" are not allowed. Write postive and respectful. Show, what parts you like and dislike. If desired, you can give some tips for improvement.

Policar

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 03:54:27 AM »
Based on this community's response to Gursky, I wouldn't dare turn here for "honest" critiques.

This, like most photography websites, is solely for technical information, not aesthetic.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 04:03:53 AM »
I agree with a Critique section. If someone posts there, he/she knows what to expect.
Plus, it is probably better to bash one's photograph rather than bashing the person for his loyalty towards Canon or Nikon ;)
Craig, are you listening?
EOS 5DIII, EOS 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

Maximilian

• Canon 7D MK II
  • The dark side - I've been there
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 04:56:15 AM »
Hello nineyards!

AFAIK this forum here everybody that is posting a pic and asking for critique is getting honest, good and helpful information and he/she can see what to do with it. (If the thread is not overlooked)
Sometimes people are a bit harsh, sometimes others think they know all. And sometimes some forget that it's all about taste if the technique is okay.

Personally I do not think, that I am good enough to do "real" critique, but if I see something, that I would do better or different, then I tell it. I always try to be cautious and polite and until now I very often got

Maybe your idea of critique section on Canon Rumors is a good one, so everyone posting there knows what might happen. But OTOH it is offering nothing you couldn't now and maybe it will allow or encourage some to be more harsh or offending.

Summary:
I see pros and cons, but not the real need of a critique section.
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 06:22:48 AM »
Critique by nature is biased. Some will like a photo, others not so much but don't let it sink in too deeply. It's all opinion and FM forums is better at critique really.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 06:22:48 AM »

AcutancePhotography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 07:22:34 AM »
The advantage of posting an image for critique on the Internets Tubes forum is that anyone can give their opinion on the quality of the image.

The disadvantage of posting an image for critique on the Internets Tubes forum is that anyone can give their opinion on the quality of the image. ;D

Getting critique from strangers about whom you know little about is of questionable value to me.

I would much rather get critique from people I personally know have experience, knowledge, and ability that goes beyond a post count on some internet forum.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 09:29:17 AM »
Everyone is welcome to critique, praise or ignore my stuff :). Please, don't be shy.
I don't think we need special critique threads. When in normal threads (showing off threads :) ) some stuff is being ignored, that could only mean two things - people are speechless after seeing it, or it may just be kind of boring (no words needed). However, I think that countless comments like "great!", "nice!", "lovely!", "adorable!", "I like number 7" or "I hate you, your amazing images made me G.A.S" etc. are reeaally unnecessary. IMO, we all learn what we like by watching other people work and by comparing it. Every image is a free lesson of good or bad photography, you decide. I'm sharing images just because I like to participate in evolution of photography.
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 09:29:17 AM »