October 20, 2014, 07:56:20 AM

Author Topic: Critiques  (Read 1892 times)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Re: Critiques
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 09:41:52 AM »
If you're into nature photography, there's a good site/forum that offers genuine critiques that I can recommend - here's a link to their critique area:

BirdPhotographers.net - It Ain't Just Birds

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 09:41:52 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »
If you're into nature photography, there's a good site/forum that offers genuine critiques that I can recommend - here's a link to their critique area:

Thanks mackguyver for sharing.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Besisika

• EOS M2
  • 1DX, 5D III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 10:25:35 AM »
I would much rather get critique from people I personally know have experience, knowledge, and ability that goes beyond a post count on some internet forum.
I wanted to create a portfolio last year and I asked an experienced friend to help me. Among my 50 000 photos I brought to him my best 14. He looked into them and after 2 min he asked me if I have some more. It took me two weeks to shake it off.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. If you want to advance in photography you have to be able to take critiques. Just be ready, remembering that you cannot please everybody.

I like the idea of having a special thread. Whoever puts something in there will be ready. I could learn from people critiquing others. When I am ready I would drop some of mine as well. I need just to import some strong stuff from Africa first.
Maybe we need some sections, something like for advanced and newbie, or tough guy vs Mr. nice guy. Just a thought.
I promise not to critique BIF nor Air Show. I have no idea how to shoot those, among others.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 10:41:58 AM »
I like real criticism from a source that I value.
i.e. I have to know, and respect the source.Its ok to have something to ponder on the next outing... ...and even at that its all relative anyway.

Funny small town story.
  There was a local photographer that had won a contest with or had  an image published locally..can't remember exactly...but anyway..he had a image that got praise. 
He went to a little art store (yeah, they are all gone) on the main drag where he had been asked to hang images in the window, but there was only so much room. The proprietor, who did not know of the notoriety of the above image perhaps,  past it over and requested other images of his to be hung. Upon which the photographer got very annoyed that she had not chosen his "prize-winning" image for the window, she must be a fool and gathered up all his work and left in a huff.

Criticism is a dicey prospect.  I found that it was very brutal on me when I was young and new...
...but now if I like one of my images I don't give a Flying F what anyone has to say...  LOL!!!!
They can enjoy it or enjoy not enjoying it.   :-)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:14:20 AM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

benperrin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Perrin Photography
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 07:16:37 PM »
The advantage of posting an image for critique on the Internets Tubes forum is that anyone can give their opinion on the quality of the image.

The disadvantage of posting an image for critique on the Internets Tubes forum is that anyone can give their opinion on the quality of the image. ;D

Getting critique from strangers about whom you know little about is of questionable value to me.

I would much rather get critique from people I personally know have experience, knowledge, and ability that goes beyond a post count on some internet forum.

This is so true. I've seen a lot of terrible critiques over the years. A lot of people just re-hashing what a professional said once without taking into consideration the context. To be honest you have to know who to ignore and who's statements should be carefully considered. It's about taking your ego out of the equation and asking yourself "is their advice valid"? Some people want to put all photography in a nice little boring box.

This is where I really like the idea of the SLR Lounge (or more recently fstoppers) setup. People create their own portfolios that are attached to their user profiles showing off only their best work. That way when someone gives a critique you can check out their portfolio to see if they really know what they are talking about. Of course even a newbie can give valid critique but I'm a lot more likely to listen to someone who is already creating what I want to create.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:56:28 PM by benperrin »

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 07:47:06 PM »

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

... or makes you crippled.
FF + primes !

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 08:20:42 PM »
The advantage of posting an image for critique on the Internets Tubes forum is that anyone can give their opinion on the quality of the image.

The disadvantage of posting an image for critique on the Internets Tubes forum is that anyone can give their opinion on the quality of the image. ;D

Getting critique from strangers about whom you know little about is of questionable value to me.

That pretty well sums it up, but a photographer can also benefit by a critique given by a stranger as long as he is honest and polite about what he thinks.  The issue may be that we do not create photos for other photographers, but for a customer or the general public.  They often have 180 degree views, hence the million dollar photographs that photographers criticize.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 08:20:42 PM »

nineyards

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • nineyards photography
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »

Great site, which also includes great post processing tips
Good call on the recommendation Mackguyver
Vincent
the times you feel most like quitting are often the times you can least afford to

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 11:58:06 PM »

That pretty well sums it up, but a photographer can also benefit by a critique given by a stranger as long as he is honest and polite about what he thinks.  The issue may be that we do not create photos for other photographers, but for a customer or the general public.  They often have 180 degree views, hence the million dollar photographs that photographers criticize.

IMHO - Posting images for others to critique is more about the photographer posting and asking for feedback than about the myriad individuals offering their opinion.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.  If you don't like the song, turn off the radio.  Otherwise, put on your big boy pants and be prepared to take what comes, good, bad and in between.  Some advice is too nice, some is too harsh and some advice actually aims to help.  In truth, it's ALL helpful because the poster learns the different reactions his work generates from others.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 11:58:06 PM »