October 24, 2014, 06:29:13 AM

Author Topic: lifespan of IS motor?  (Read 3377 times)

Maiaibing

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
Re: lifespan of IS motor?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »
Lensrental is probably the only place to get good stats on this and they have written that IS lenses fail faster and more often than non-IS lenses.

I have only once had a lens repair (lucky me I guess). My 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L ii - and it was expensive.

I shut off IS when I can because then no IS has to settle.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 10:56:50 AM »
Your IS is not really off when you turn it off, it's just in a different mode. The floating IS element is powered up and being held steady by it's little magnetic actuators.

I had a 70-200 f2.8 IS II have it's IS go bad.  It was flicking 2-3 times a second up and down.  Turning it off did not help. I asked Canon how to turn it off and they said I could not turn it off, it had to be repaired.

So I don't think turning it off will prolong it's life.  At least it will not not reduce it's "run time". 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:58:27 AM by TexPhoto »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »
Hello, I've recently purchased my first lens with IS on it. Do to guys leave IS on all the time even when not needed such as a scenario with lots of light and high shutter speeds or do you guys turn off IS? To be more specific, I have the 70-200 IS ii and  I guess I'm trying to "prolong" the life of the IS if possible because I'm sure it's not cheap to fix.

Funny I worry about a lot of my gear a lot of the time but I have absolute confidence in the IS/AF/electronic aperture system. Most electronics last longer than you would expect. FWIW the AF and electronic aperture in my 03/1988 MkI 50 mm f/1.8 still work like a charm.

No pun intended, but if you worry about your IS breaking maybe you should shoot primes wide open too and in permanent live view mode using an electronic shutter so you don't wear out your:

IS
AF
Aperture
Mirror
Shutter
Zoom mechanism

So what I mean to say is, please stop worrying and enjoy your fabulous 70-200 and remember, it's a pro lens and these are built to last.

Disclaimer: Use, but don't abuse your gear like some pro's do ;)

5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 01:14:04 PM »
Most people accept that their car may not be trouble free for less than 5 year. Why do people expect their camera and lens to do better than that???

md7204

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 01:32:47 PM »
I bought my EF100-400L new in Jun 2010.  I just fedex'd it to canon this morning for a suspected bad IS motor.  It was doing the 2-3 times a sec jumping thing mentioned above.  Never been dropped, no scratches or marks on the body, no "rough" handling, etc.  Ironically the problem is worse when IS and AF are switched to "off".  I will post the repair cost when canon evaluates the lens. I have 3 other canon lenses with IS (EFS 17-85, 24-105L & 70-300), all owned longer than the 100-400L, and none of them have had a problem with IS (yet).

vulie504

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 10:27:17 PM »
Lol, i really appreciate the comments and some of them were quit humorous. Especially the comment of wearing out my shoes. I guess i am worrying over stupid things and i should go ahead and just enjoy the lens. Thank you everyone for your comments. 

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 03:54:39 AM »
Most people accept that their car may not be trouble free for less than 5 year.

That's why I don't have a car and go by bike and public transport (it's easy to do around where I live).

Why do people expect their camera and lens to do better than that???

I guess for amateurs it's wishful thinking because the price for a good dslr kit is very high in comparison what you could do with the money for other recreations like travel... so it has to last, doesn't it?

Thus one interesting question is avoided: Wouldn't it be more clever to by Rebel cameras with cheaper 3rd party lenses, and when they break simply upgrade to the better current model? Certainly not an option for professional use, but less worry about gear damage, theft or wear and for most purposes about the same result :-.o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 03:54:39 AM »

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 04:42:29 PM »
Why do people expect their camera and lens to do better than that???

I guess for amateurs it's wishful thinking because the price for a good dslr kit is very high in comparison what you could do with the money for other recreations like travel... so it has to last, doesn't it?

Thus one interesting question is avoided: Wouldn't it be more clever to by Rebel cameras with cheaper 3rd party lenses, and when they break simply upgrade to the better current model? Certainly not an option for professional use, but less worry about gear damage, theft or wear and for most purposes about the same result :-.o

That is an intersting thought. However, the Higher level  DSLR do have more feature than the Rebel. If the Rebel has enough feature to satisfy you, by all means, go for it.  I have a 20D for 5 years and a 40D for 4 years. Both cameras have the shutter releas button failed. Fortunately, I can fix them with alcohol(Thanks for the instructions from You Tube).  If I cannot fix them, they will be goners.  As for the lens, my 17-40 L holds up very well even after 9 years.  For me, I have got more than what I have paid for. But I start to question the focusing accuracy of he 28-135 Canon lens after 6 years.  I do not have any experience with the third party lenses.
Since I want to travel light, I have just switched to the EOS-M system.

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 10:42:40 PM »
Most people accept that their car may not be trouble free for less than 5 year.

I expect my car to be trouble-free for at least five years, too.  I've never had a DSLR that didn't still work after 5+.  The only lens I've ever had fail (ignoring the shattered filter threads and scratched front of one lens that I dropped) was my original Digital Rebel kit lens.  It died after only 9 months.  In hindsight, it was probably under warranty, so I should have had Canon fix it, but the thought didn't even occur to me at the time.

Of course, I didn't really care enough about that lens to bother with shipping it to Canon to fix it.  The day it failed, I borrowed a 20mm prime from one of my coworkers and used it to shoot all day.  I was so shocked at how much sharper the photos were that I ordered a 17–85 and never looked back (except to swap out the bad ribbon cable with a part from a broken copy of that lens just to have a "safe for use at the beach" lens).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 10:42:40 PM »