September 17, 2014, 12:03:59 PM

Poll

Which do you prefer, pick just one.

Do you prefer the large thumbnails (770 X 770) with 6 attachments allowed
47 (59.5%)
Do you prefer the small thumbnails (200 X 200) with 10 attachments allowed
9 (11.4%)
Do you have a fast internet, more than 6 large thumbnails per post is fine?
16 (20.3%)
I don't care either way is fine.
7 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Voting closed: August 14, 2014, 12:32:06 AM

Author Topic: Small or Large Thumbnails - Poll  (Read 2906 times)

nineyards

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • nineyards photography
Re: Small or Large Thumbnails - Poll
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 11:24:32 AM »
The poll was a good move
Personally, I have a super fast internet so the bigger the better for me, but that doesn't help those who have to wait unacceptably long for downloads off this site
However, I am thinking a lot of good shots might be passed by from viewers because of the relatively small size of the thumbs, if I click on a photo here, it's because I saw some detail or aspect that jumped out at me and made me want to investigate further
The smaller the thumbs, the greater the chance of me just passing it by
Also I believe if you hit the quote button directly from he post you are reading instead of hitting "reply" then referencing the post you will be able to reply without the repetition of the image, correct me if I am wrong
Vincent
the times you feel most like quitting are often the times you can least afford to

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 11:24:32 AM »

DominoDude

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 06:43:39 PM »
Great poll, indeed!
I prefer the bigger thumbnails.
I have to admit that Im guilty of replying by quoting posts with a full amount of photos in it at times. Kicked myself afterwards for the repetition of information that wouldn't make anyone happier. I do see the benefits of small thumbnails for a lighter load and speedy rendering for those with slow Internet connections, but it looks more professional with bigger shots and it invites me to look at them. I promise I will do my best to not add redundant information by having others photos quoted in my replies, if you keep the big thumbnails.
Yesterday I tried to toss an egg on someone against the wind. Today the yolk's on me.

Joe M

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mayer Photography
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 11:31:49 AM »
My preference is to see larger thumbnails.  Personally I hate having to click on "img.jpg" to see a larger size.  At the same time though, I think the number of images should be limited.  My connection speed is more than enough to handle the content but it can sometimes be tedious to scroll endlessly past a post full of images to get to the next one in line and read the replies and so on. 

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
At this point, it looks to me to be a clear majority want the larger thumbnails.

I'm going to revert to them immediately, but leave the poll open.  As a compromise, I'll allow 8 images and see what happens.  I've not been able to find a way to remove the image links from a reply to a post. 

Also note:

I also have the ability to turn off the thumbnail and show images full size.

While I was fooling with the image controls, I noticed a option that is checked to show the thumbnails as PNG format images.  I did a little research, and the Simple Machines Manual says that's a higher quality setting.  It just might be responsible for the frequent reports of poor colors and artifacts noted in uploaded images, so I will experiment with turning it off to see what we get.  It is also possible that showing the image full size might improve the quality, the resize option is turned on now.  I definitely don't want to bring down the forum by playing with the options too much, but it might be interesting to try settings for a few minutes to see what happens.

I'll first try turning off the png.  Generally, the changes only apply to new posts and are not retroactive.

Anyone who wants to compare send me a PM and you can try a before and after.

Ed

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 06:42:22 PM »
At this point, it looks to me to be a clear majority want the larger thumbnails.

I'm going to revert to them immediately, but leave the poll open.  As a compromise, I'll allow 8 images and see what happens.  I've not been able to find a way to remove the image links from a reply to a post. 

Also note:

I also have the ability to turn off the thumbnail and show images full size.

While I was fooling with the image controls, I noticed a option that is checked to show the thumbnails as PNG format images.  I did a little research, and the Simple Machines Manual says that's a higher quality setting.  It just might be responsible for the frequent reports of poor colors and artifacts noted in uploaded images, so I will experiment with turning it off to see what we get.  It is also possible that showing the image full size might improve the quality, the resize option is turned on now.  I definitely don't want to bring down the forum by playing with the options too much, but it might be interesting to try settings for a few minutes to see what happens.

I'll first try turning off the png.  Generally, the changes only apply to new posts and are not retroactive.

Anyone who wants to compare send me a PM and you can try a before and after.

Ed

Thank you  ;D
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 07:04:26 PM »
Thank you Ed !   :)

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »
700 wide seems like a comfortable size for a laptop, I haven't tried a mobile device yet though.  As an aside, am I the only one to see threads with pages which wouldn't load?  I had a look at the "we the photographers" thread and about half the pages only came up blank - no content but no 404 either.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 03:48:54 PM »
I like big thumbs...

I beg every other users for pardon as I often did reply to post with images without removing them. Most of the times I reply while leaving images, it is because editing a quote from my not so smart phone is a bit of a pain in the ... well, you know.

What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 06:13:05 PM »
700 wide seems like a comfortable size for a laptop, I haven't tried a mobile device yet though.  As an aside, am I the only one to see threads with pages which wouldn't load?  I had a look at the "we the photographers" thread and about half the pages only came up blank - no content but no 404 either.

Jim

I tried setting multiple sizes, and by trial and error, I found that 700 pixels wide was the maximum width without the system adding a scroll bar at the bottom.  That's where it sits now 700 X 700.  I could make it taller, but did not to do too much at one time.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »
I like big thumbs...

I beg every other users for pardon as I often did reply to post with images without removing them. Most of the times I reply while leaving images, it is because editing a quote from my not so smart phone is a bit of a pain in the ... well, you know.

I understand.  It would be nice if everyone could remove the linked images, but it would be nicer yet if they were removed automatically.

I'm still looking for a beter solution

tolusina

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 07:01:59 PM »
..... As an aside, am I the only one to see threads with pages which wouldn't load?  I had a look at the "we the photographers" thread and about half the pages only came up blank - no content but no 404 either.......
I found the same on the Cars cars cars (and some bikes) thread.
I tried to back up one page to 15, got a white page. Tried clicking through from page one, got as far as page 10, can't see anything between 11 and 15.
40 on 6

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 08:10:31 PM »

Jim

I tried setting multiple sizes, and by trial and error, I found that 700 pixels wide was the maximum width without the system adding a scroll bar at the bottom.  That's where it sits now 700 X 700.  I could make it taller, but did not to do too much at one time.

Current view is better than tiny prev. However, it still looks dull at 700x700. Can you increase to larger size?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:15:52 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Besisika

• Rebel T5i
  • 1DX, 5D III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 08:15:41 PM »
I think it would be a courteous thing to remove images from replies, in the image galleries. It causes unnecessary repetition and wastes screen real estate. Can this be enforced in some way? Does anyone see any advantage to this?

+1
+1 and small thunbnails

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 08:15:41 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »
..... As an aside, am I the only one to see threads with pages which wouldn't load?  I had a look at the "we the photographers" thread and about half the pages only came up blank - no content but no 404 either.......
I found the same on the Cars cars cars (and some bikes) thread.
I tried to back up one page to 15, got a white page. Tried clicking through from page one, got as far as page 10, can't see anything between 11 and 15.

Thought this was an issue with my Computer, so I'm finding the same issue as others, Blank Pages across most of the threads I've looked at.

The issue with the Images being left in the "reply" can be solved by someone putting together a small advice page on how to delete the Images from your reply, it's not exactly difficult, most people do this, some don't, perhaps because they are simply not aware you can, delete any part/parts of the Post you are replying to.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »

Jim

Current view is better than tiny prev. However, it still looks dull at 700x700. Can you increase to larger size?

700 X 700 is as large as the forum allows.  after that, you have to scroll around to see it.  Might as well click on the thumbnail as do that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »