August 01, 2014, 07:25:20 PM

Author Topic: Lightroom or Aperture?  (Read 9717 times)

prossernoski

Lightroom or Aperture?
« on: November 24, 2011, 08:49:29 AM »
Can users list +/- points of both? I'm on the edge of a purchase :-)

Thanks in advance peeps!

canon rumors FORUM

Lightroom or Aperture?
« on: November 24, 2011, 08:49:29 AM »

lightseeker

Re: Lightroom or Aperture?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 10:05:27 AM »
Personal opinion based on using both on a three year old iMac with 6 GB of Ram. Lightroom is far more stable in that it rarely has an issue that causes the program to stop working whereas Aperture 3 will often crash particularly when brushing in multiple adjustments. I recommend the tutorials on TheLightroomLab.com for getting started with Lightroom in an efficient manner. If you go with aperture there are support forums that will help with issues such as crashing however in my simple mind I would rather avoid such issues in the first place hence my preference for Lightroom.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »
I tried LR and didn't care for it.  I use Aperture, and I've never had it crash (I run it on a 2010 17" MBPro and a 2011 13" MBAir).

Both LR and Aperture offer free 30 day full-featured trials - why don't you just download both and try them?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

daveheinzel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • daveheinzel.com
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »
I've been using Aperture for years, and I love it. No complaints except for some minor frustrations with the watermarking and book creation tools. But otherwise, I love it. I now use version 3 on a 2009 17" MacBook Pro. I have never used Lightroom, but there's nothing about Aperture that makes me want to switch.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 05:02:02 PM by daveheinzel »

SixeL

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:00:30 AM »
I am on Aperture since I am on Mac.

Jettatore

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 11:41:31 AM »
Neither are necessary so its a very personal decision regarding your own preferences.  You can do RAW processing, without missing (or added features that are not actually part of RAW processing) without either software.  Photoshop for example, has a great built in, fully featured RAW importer that works perfectly once you learn how to use it, it even saves out .xmp setting files of your RAW edits and automatically re-loads them if you re-import the same image to tweak your edits.  You can also use them as a default to apply to a batch of RAW files.  Supports camera and lens profile correction, etc. etc., it's all there.  If you are on windows and need a way to preview RAW files and sort them before importing them for processing, this is a simple yet elegant solution
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829

If you prefer the workflow of a Lightroom and Aperture I could understand.  I don't need or use them, not even for editing large galleries.  Also on a side note, there are an increasing number of quality replacements that are professionally viable, or nearing so, to all of these software(s) that we are talking about, from the free and open source communities, especially so if you are using Linux.  By the end of 2012 I plan to be fully Free and Open Source in all my software, and I don't plan on doing this by making a single compromise to what I already have.  I will gladly detail that process once I have it ironed out and thoroughly tested.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:47:23 AM by Jettatore »

DavidM

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »
Go with LR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »

Tov

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • tovergaauw
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 11:47:36 AM »
Still using Aperture on an Imac from 2007 with 3 gb of ram and the program works fine.
Havent had any crash since Aperture 3. ( crop tool gave problems sometimes).
There is a big plus for getting Aperture. If you get it through the Appstore its much cheaper. ;)
AE-1+winder.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »
I used aperture 3 for almost 2 years when I first got into photography as I figured it would be the best software for a mac. I then trailed Lightroom 3 to see what all the fuss was about and there was a big difference. Everything responded quicker than aperture ever did and the tools just allowed me to do so much more than I could with aperture. Brushes were a hell of a lot better than aperture and the gradient tool gets used from time to time. I've deleted aperture now as lightroom just did everything better.

Trial them both and see what you prefer. Lightroom worked a lot better for me.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 01:27:10 PM »
There are two functions to perform with your photos.

1. Developing or editing them

2. Cataloging them so you can quickly locate a image out of hundreds of thousands.  Photoshop is more expensive, but very powerful at developing and editing images, but does not try to help you manage the large quantity of images, so you will want a separate management program to help you manage a large number of photos.   Lightroom does both for a popular price. 

I haven't used aperture, but for Mac Users, its a very good choice as attested to by the many satisfied users.

There is other software, DXO, etc that also has a lot of followers and may do some things better than other software, or have a interface that is easier to use.

Idoubt if you will go wrong with any of them, but use the free trial to see how it works for you.  Also avail yourself of the onliine tutorials or check out a book from the local library.  There are many things that can be done faster and easier that you might not discover when justplunging in.  The very first thing is learning to use the Lightroom database, you won't get anywhere until you do.

Fab_Angilletta

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
Neither are necessary so its a very personal decision regarding your own preferences.  You can do RAW processing, without missing (or added features that are not actually part of RAW processing) without either software.  Photoshop for example, has a great built in, fully featured RAW importer that works perfectly once you learn how to use it, it even saves out .xmp setting files of your RAW edits and automatically re-loads them if you re-import the same image to tweak your edits.  You can also use them as a default to apply to a batch of RAW files.  Supports camera and lens profile correction, etc. etc., it's all there.  If you are on windows and need a way to preview RAW files and sort them before importing them for processing, this is a simple yet elegant solution
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829

If you prefer the workflow of a Lightroom and Aperture I could understand.  I don't need or use them, not even for editing large galleries.  Also on a side note, there are an increasing number of quality replacements that are professionally viable, or nearing so, to all of these software(s) that we are talking about, from the free and open source communities, especially so if you are using Linux.  By the end of 2012 I plan to be fully Free and Open Source in all my software, and I don't plan on doing this by making a single compromise to what I already have.  I will gladly detail that process once I have it ironed out and thoroughly tested.

which software do you have for Linux? i only know GIMP by the way Canon DPP is also free.

Jettatore

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »
Fab_Angilletta:

There are a lot of options for the different types of software we are used to.  GIMP is the Photoshop one, but you know about that, the new version which you can get but isn't official is really amazing.  If you have need for an Adobe Illustrator replacement there is Inkscape, which is awesome, I actually prefer it. 

For RAW Processing and or variants like Lightroom/Aperture that do other stuff like organization, selective non-destructive editing and handling a lot of files at once... there are too many options to mention.  A few I know off the top of my head and in absolutely no particular order: Raw Therapy, Darktable, UFRaw, F-Spot and the list goes on.  For video editing, FX and nodal based compositing as well as 3D animation, all are actually done quite well in one software called Blender, but it's less known that it even has Video features in it, but it does and they are pretty awesome.  There are too many too mention for various sound and music editing and composing needs and it's not my field but for the video guys who need to edit sound and music, there is no shortage.

Once I get a really nice combination that works well and should work on everyone's computer I'll either make a list or it could actually be released as a custom distro because it's all open source and is legal to share custom tailored versions of the entire operating system/software/settings/etc. that is ready to install.  If you want to start testing it's fairly easy to install a virtual machine on top of your windows or osx installation and just test the waters, running linux as if it were an OSX application or a windows app, and then you can see what it's like before making the full jump.  Private message me if you want, I know a little but I am still learning the new environment and have a ways to go, but if I can help I will.

panicboy

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »
which software do you have for Linux? i only know GIMP by the way Canon DPP is also free.

I know following linux raw converters:
  • rawtherapee
  • darktable
  • dcraw (standalone or as gimp extension)
  • bibble

Bibble is commercial, the others are free/open source.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »
I haven't used aperture, but for Mac Users, its a very good choice as attested to by the many satisfied users.

There is other software, DXO, etc that also has a lot of followers and may do some things better than other software, or have a interface that is easier to use.

IMO, DxO is the best RAW converter available.  However, it only a RAW converter, with no real capability for library management.  So, I use DxO for RAW conversion, and Aperture for library management.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

willrobb

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 07:03:57 PM »
I only have experience of Aperture (versions 1-3) which I use on my old 2006 iMac and 2007 MacBook. Aperture 3 is the best version yet in terms of brush tools, but on old macs (like mine) it does occasionally crash.

Aperture's virtue is you can easily deal with huge amounts of photos quickly. I often have to download several hundred(a few thousand even) images, select the best, edit, catalog and get the photos sent off as soon as possible and Aperture let's me do this easily, no matter if you are shooting RAW or JPEG.

If you want to do intricate portrait edits, Aperture gives the basics but lags behind PS IMO.

Lots of my friends use lightroom, it's all good, as someone said before, try the free trials of each and see what suits your needs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 07:03:57 PM »