April 21, 2014, 09:26:14 AM

Author Topic: Lightroom or Aperture?  (Read 9348 times)

AG

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Lightroom or Aperture?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 01:44:11 AM »
Throwing a spanner in the works here.

Personally i like to use Aperture or library management and Pixelmator 2.0 for any editing.

The new update makes a very useful tool even more so and its cheap.

If you didn't want to spend big $$ and wanted to give it a try check the app store for exact pricing in your area.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 01:44:11 AM »

FB64

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 04:55:31 AM »
I have to admit a little bias but as a long time mac user Aperture works well for me.  I have not tried Lightroom so I cannot compare.  I am also unlikely too - not because of any bias but my workflow process is geared for Aperture and I am not easily convinced a change a process that works well.   

I like its file management and organisational tools,  its adjustment options are quite powerful and are good enough to process photo issues that come up. I think the file structure is intuitive but that may be because it is not unlike other Apple processes. 

Of course Aperture has crashed from time to time but no more so that CS4 or CS5 - in my experience you just need to keep your software up to date.  I still use CS5 for complex adjustments and of course things like gradients, HDR and being able to work in layers is always and advantage.

Enrico

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 07:03:30 AM »

Before I made my choice I did extensive research and from my humble opinion I think they are pretty equal.

As with cameras and lenses I think the choice of software really depends on how you intend to use it :) Alot of photoshopping or finally getting that pile of images sorted and ready to work with?

Earlier I used photoshop and thought I couldn't live without all the post processing tools available, but I was so wrong... Either one of them will most likely improve how you store, tag and manage your images.

I am not pixel peeping, and the brushes and tools provided in Aperture is good enough for me. Actually I think they are more forgiving that in PS that put all the responsibility on me...

I picked Aperture.

Four things I how come to fall in love with (that was a total surprise) and that last time I checked was not supported in LR:

- being able to instantly produce a professional looking book (the little time you need to spend compared to the result is ridiculous) If you think you will produce photo books, family year book, event book or whatever, I think this feature alone should make you go for Aperture. Apple.com has tutorials that just shows you how powerful it is.
- being able to simply create a slideshow with music, photos and video (after som practice you can produce a 5 minute media show that will make your friends and family cry of joy :) Yes, note family... for professional use I dunno if it is sufficient)
- face recognition. you dont need to tag images with names on people that are in the shot. the face recognition works very well.
- tag images with GPS coordinates (or store it automatically if your camera supports it). When you have tens of thousands of images it simply brings you just another beautiful way of getting hold of those images you want. It complements tags, ratings etc very well.

As said earlier.

Watch the tutorials and perhaps try the demos. But more importantly, decide and get going. I don't think you will regret your choice whichever software you choose.

Crapking

• 7D
  • "Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
    • View Profile
    • Crapking Photos
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 12:28:06 PM »
Another unique use of Aperture is the automatic photostream synching with the iOS 5 devices IPad/iPhone and other computers.

Also has easy exporting to MobileMe gallery and with a plugin Phanfare.
1Dx, 1DIV, 5D3, 7D, (Sigma 15 FE)
16-35/2.8; 24-70/2.8 II; 70-200/2.8 II, 100-400L
35/1.4, 40/2.8; 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 135/2; 200/2

Jettatore

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 12:36:42 PM »
By the end of 2012 I plan to be fully Free and Open Source in all my software, and I don't plan on doing this by making a single compromise to what I already have.  I will gladly detail that process once I have it ironed out and thoroughly tested.

i'm also trying to use only free software, initially i used dcraw + digikam, but the biggest problem is that digikam denoising seems pretty bad (or I don't know how to use it properly)

currently I made a compromise, and I'm running DPP in wine (it takes some effort to install it, but it is possible), if anyone knew how to do proper denoising using only free (as in freedom) software, please let me know

Your best bet is to find a plug-in or technique for GIMP that works well for you, and if you find it works really well, please let me know.

http://photodoto.com/free-noise-reduction-plugin-for-the-gimp/

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Selective_Gaussian_Blur/

http://gimpguru.org/Tutorials/ReducingCCDNoise/

http://registry.gimp.org/node/4235/

Picsfor

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »
I go with the earlier recommendation - download the trial versions and see what you make of them.

I've had Lr since v2, and get along with it nicely. When i was offered Aperture 3 for £44 at the launch of App store, i got it purely because of the price - have tried to get to use it - and failed. It now sits on my wife's MBP - she just needed a bit more than iPhoto.

Really, it is a personal choice, like Nikon or Canon, 7D or 5D2 MS Windows or Mac OSX (scrub that - Mac OSX wins hands down  ;) )

Jettatore

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 06:06:19 PM »
passerby, I think you might have missed the 4 links I left for you.  Also,  yeah both 16 and 24 bit support is on it's way to GIMP but until it is here, it's a deal breaker.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 06:06:19 PM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 11:53:56 AM »
used both prefer lightroom...  esp curves

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 12:27:47 PM »
I am use Aperture 3 and love it. I too trialed Lightroom. I prefer Apertures UI for adjustments to Lighroom's Develop module. On my core i7 27" iMac with 8gb of RAM, I found Aperture to be much faster when making adjustments. I know someone previously said they had the opposite experience, but I don't know what hardware they were on. One feature I really liked in Lightroom was the ability to toggle side-by-side before and after views of my edits. Figure in the price difference now that Aperture is only $79 through the App Store and it's a no brainer. Also, with the App Store version, you can legally load it on each of your Macs without purchasing multiple copies.
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

Isaac

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 03:47:26 PM »
Try both of them by downloading the free 30 day trial period. I've downloaded them and found them both great. I personally chose Adobe Lightroom.

niccyboy

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 06:33:08 PM »
I prefer lightroom + photoshop combo

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 08:41:21 PM »
I used Aperture for over 4 years and loved it.  The only reason I switched to LR3 this year was because with a large library Aperture was very slow.  The same photo library in LR3 flies on my Mac and makes editing a cinch.

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 04:47:45 PM »
Capture One Pro here (Mac, PC). They also have a lite version that is surprisingly not dumbed down very much from the Pro version and is reasonably priced. Only a few key truly 'pro' features are missing, and most of those are associated with their Phase One medium format camera line.

CO has all top shelf tools in it imo, not a single dud in the entire bunch. Some of the very best camera specific color profiles, NR, sharpening tools, color correction, masking, spot removal, etc.  But it isn't for "pixel manufacturing"...if you want that get PhotoShop.

Going from DPP to Capture One was like going from kit lens to L lens all over again, in fact I think it was more of a difference than the lens were.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, Canon TC 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 04:47:45 PM »

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 04:44:43 AM »
Lightroom

KarelP

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 05:48:37 AM »
Lightroom, and PS CS5. Covers all the bases, and as a professor at a polytechnic I can pick it up at huge academic discounts (all Adobe tools except LR (which costs 90 euro) for 30 euro in the Web edition... can't resist that).

Cheers,

Karel
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:11:50 AM by KarelP »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 05:48:37 AM »