December 22, 2014, 05:19:30 PM

Author Topic: Torn between macbook pro retina or lenovo w540 for editing pics  (Read 5095 times)

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
Re: Torn between macbook pro retina or lenovo w540 for editing pics
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 04:27:54 PM »
The Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro has a great IPS screen (bright, glossy, outrageous resolution) and the new Surface Pro 3 is also spectacular IPS (also bright, glossy, high resolution).

Appreciate the suggestion but the yoga pro 2 has inaccurate yellow issues and the surface is great but I woukd struggle with LR on a 12" screen. I wanted a true 15" workstation class machine. Just curious if anyone has been down my road.

I understand.  Although for the record, the Yoga 2 Pro is actually 13".  And the yellow tint issue was more of an initial problem with the first round of units last year.  Plus, a firmware update addressed it eventually as well.

Still, I can appreciate the need for the larger screen and I agree.

Rusty
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 04:27:54 PM »

wsgroves

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Muddy Creek Studios
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 04:30:46 PM »
I am returning my yoga 2 pro i7 for a i7 surface 3 pro. The lenovo is nice but the screen is too small for that resolution. Try to run a non scaling app and forget about it, doubt you could even click the menu's with a pen.
The screen on it is nice for me to look at, but reviews say its not so great of a screen for real work.
The surface pro 3 is way more expensive and probably a lot over expensive but its working great for me and I can use apps that dont scale well and still see them. I would get it over a mackbook air but even if I had a mackbook air I would run windows on it as i hate osX (I have a few macs but they run windows =) sacrilegious I know.
1D Mark II, 5D3, 7D
Please check out my site.
http://muddycreekstudios.4ormat.com/

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 04:38:11 PM »
I am returning my yoga 2 pro i7 for a i7 surface 3 pro. The lenovo is nice but the screen is too small for that resolution. Try to run a non scaling app and forget about it, doubt you could even click the menu's with a pen.
The screen on it is nice for me to look at, but reviews say its not so great of a screen for real work.
The surface pro 3 is way more expensive and probably a lot over expensive but its working great for me and I can use apps that dont scale well and still see them. I would get it over a mackbook air but even if I had a mackbook air I would run windows on it as i hate osX (I have a few macs but they run windows =) sacrilegious I know.

I agree.  I've set up several Yoga 2 Pros for clients but I decided to pass on it for the same reasons that you state.  A buddy got a Surface 3 Pro last week and I'm going to see how he likes it, etc.  Then I might get one later.  It looks promising.  The keyboard is better than I expected as well.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 05:32:06 PM »
If I were shopping for a laptop right now I would get one of these: http: //www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459777,00.asp

It's definitely not the most mobile, but my laptop sits in the same spot 99% of the time anyway. If you could pack a desktop into a backpack I wouldn't even want a laptop.

Hmm... I probably could build a decently mobile desktop, but a 4K monitor is still worth almost as much as the entire laptop at the moment.
Right now my plan is to get a 4K laptop next year sometime (when you'll have more than one model to pick from).
-100% RAW-

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 05:25:07 AM »
The discussion got a little away from the w540 comparison requested.

I use and really appreciate a w520 bought in late 2011 IIRC and I have upgraded components all along as my needs increased. I was tethering with this on a shoot today. I look into the Lenovo forums occasionally to stay up with what the new "W" (workstation) models offer. Anyone considering a w540 needs to read a lot of angry, disappointed forum messages. Some do refute the large numbers of complaints, but some people who evaluate ThinkPad laptops as their job suggest that people buy a w520 instead!

I like my "FD" 1920 x whatever (16:9) screen, although I was sorry to see the old 4:3 screens disappear. Have not tried to calibrate it but keep meaning to get around to it. (I own a Color Munki Photo.)

I am writing just to ask KCC and anyone else reading this to read the "w" machine Lenovo user forum carefully. Sorry not to be able to put the link in this post. I am responding on a tablet.

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 01:11:54 AM »
The discussion got a little away from the w540 comparison requested.

I use and really appreciate a w520 bought in late 2011 IIRC and I have upgraded components all along as my needs increased. I was tethering with this on a shoot today. I look into the Lenovo forums occasionally to stay up with what the new "W" (workstation) models offer. Anyone considering a w540 needs to read a lot of angry, disappointed forum messages. Some do refute the large numbers of complaints, but some people who evaluate ThinkPad laptops as their job suggest that people buy a w520 instead!

I like my "FD" 1920 x whatever (16:9) screen, although I was sorry to see the old 4:3 screens disappear. Have not tried to calibrate it but keep meaning to get around to it. (I own a Color Munki Photo.)

I am writing just to ask KCC and anyone else reading this to read the "w" machine Lenovo user forum carefully. Sorry not to be able to put the link in this post. I am responding on a tablet.

I have used the 520,530 and now 540. They lost a lot of the tough older styling but made it lighter and has a much better screen than any one before it. The problem I had was the color temp was closer to 7000k so my whites looked more yellow and then it made pp difficult. Also the left palm rest did get pretty warm. I am either going to get another macbook pro and run windows again or try the dell precision m3800. I brought the 540 back because of the screen.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

MichaelHodges

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »
The Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro has a great IPS screen (bright, glossy, outrageous resolution) and the new Surface Pro 3 is also spectacular IPS (also bright, glossy, high resolution).

Both screens do not measure up to the Acer V5. There are serious color issues, among others.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-Yoga-2-Pro-Convertible.107620.0.html

The SP3 is better, but still not up to Acer V5 black levels and color accuracy.

Be careful of whiz bang proclamations and gadgets when the most important thing is color accuracy, black levels, and viewing angles. A 13 inch monitor is probably too small for photo work, and even then adding beyond 1920x1080 def is meaningless if the foundation of screen IQ is dubious.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-V5-573G-54208G50aii-Notebook.99264.0.html

"We really have to emphasize the excellent contrast ratio of 1,301:1 that is enabled by the low black value of the IPS panel. "

"The Acer's coverage of the available color spaces is on a very high level. With more than 90% of the sRGB color space, "

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 11:15:44 AM »
I'd suggest that you not rely on review sites where reviewers all have a bias, and look at actual products.  Even then, when you take them out of the store lighting, the screens will be a different color, so that is not reliable either.

Most laptops with i5 or i7 processors have plenty of processing power for editing images, but, if you want to edit high MP images in the future, then the story will be different.  Another thing to consider is the hard drive they include.  They are often just plain slow, and they fail if subjected to a hard shock.  I'd plan on replacing a hard drive with SSD as soon as I could.  Its easy to clone the original HD to a SSd, and save it as a backup.

Another thing I do not like is the flat keys that have no feel along the edges.  The importance of a good keyboard should not be overlooked.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 11:49:45 AM »
Biggest choice is OS vs Windows 8.  OS is a clear winner - i recently switched from PC to Mac and glad I did.  There are a few frustrations (I can not hot key as often on the Mac as a PC), but otherwise glad I made the switch.

When looking for PCs (both laptop and desktop) I could not find any that had only USB 3.0 interface.  All I saw had mix of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.  USB 2.0 is okay for keyboards and mouse about not data.  I need 1 plug for kb/mouse and the rest for data.

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »
My preference is the Mac.  My advice is to get it loaded to the max to begin with because you can't upgrade it later.  I would put the $$$ into memory and the fastest drive (ssd).

sek
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 12:50:56 AM »
Biggest choice is OS vs Windows 8.  OS is a clear winner - i recently switched from PC to Mac and glad I did.  There are a few frustrations (I can not hot key as often on the Mac as a PC), but otherwise glad I made the switch.

When looking for PCs (both laptop and desktop) I could not find any that had only USB 3.0 interface.  All I saw had mix of USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.  USB 2.0 is okay for keyboards and mouse about not data.  I need 1 plug for kb/mouse and the rest for data.

Right but I made it clear. I am in search of a highly accurate display 13-15" laptop running windows only. Will never use osx. Just was looking for other users on this forum who would value the same specs as me for photography. Also the usb port selection led you to mac???. Thats the main benefit in the variety of windows devices is the extra port availability. The mbpr has only 2 so plug in a kb/m receiver and there is only one left.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

MichaelHodges

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »
I'd suggest that you not rely on review sites where reviewers all have a bias, and look at actual products.  Even then, when you take them out of the store lighting, the screens will be a different color, so that is not reliable either.

Those screen tests are very reliable.  If you want an actual IPS laptop screen for editing, the choices are slim.

Another thing I do not like is the flat keys that have no feel along the edges.  The importance of a good keyboard should not be overlooked.

IMHO, the keyboard is the least important aspect of a laptop.  This is easily solved by plugging in a USB keyboard of your choice.

scokar

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 04:19:51 PM »

IMHO, the keyboard is the least important aspect of a laptop.  This is easily solved by plugging in a USB keyboard of your choice.

While having a laptop is choosing which compromises you can live with, carrying a 2nd keyboard defeats the purpose of a laptop.  You bought the wrong laptop.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 04:19:51 PM »

MichaelHodges

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 04:55:36 PM »

While having a laptop is choosing which compromises you can live with, carrying a 2nd keyboard defeats the purpose of a laptop.  You bought the wrong laptop.

I don't consider any laptop keyboards proper writing tools, so I don't use any of them unless I have to.  I do carry a separate heavy-duty keyboard when I travel in case i need to do serious work (as well as a mouse).

Laptop keyboards have always been a compromise, IMHO.

filo64

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 06:09:54 PM »
Try notebookcheck.net for reviews. They seem pretty reliable...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 06:09:54 PM »