Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Stills

Can't get my 1dx to catch focus fast as 7d

(1/5) > >>

Daniel 78d:
Hello I got a new 1dx couple of months ago and it does not seem to catch focus as fast as my wife's 7d. I'm new to photography and I am still getting used to everything so it's probably a fault of mine. I also know the 1dx is a focus monster but I'm seeing a real difference.

No Mayo:
Hi Daniel,
I have never used a 7D, but I love my 1DX and also have the 1D4 (and 2 1D2s). They all focused very quickly, but what I am seeing is that the 1DX also has a better hit rate while being at least as fast as my older models. I think that it would be helpful if you could describe your experiences with the 1DX vs 7D. Is it outside tracking birds in flight? Is it in a dark wedding venue? What focus mode(s) are you using (one shot, AI servo)? Is it with a flash attached (if so, which flash, and have you installed the latest firmware that is supposed to address that issue)? Finally, has your wife always been better than you at pretty much everything (just kidding)?

Daniel 78d:

--- Quote from: No Mayo on August 10, 2014, 02:06:42 AM ---Hi Daniel,
I have never used a 7D, but I love my 1DX and also have the 1D4 (and 2 1D2s). They all focused very quickly, but what I am seeing is that the 1DX also has a better hit rate while being at least as fast as my older models. I think that it would be helpful if you could describe your experiences with the 1DX vs 7D. Is it outside tracking birds in flight? Is it in a dark wedding venue? What focus mode(s) are you using (one shot, AI servo)? Is it with a flash attached (if so, which flash, and have you installed the latest firmware that is supposed to address that issue)? Finally, has your wife always been better than you at pretty much everything (just kidding)?

--- End quote ---

My wife got the camera last year (7d) and since I had no camera we both used hers. I was shooting everything from around the house stuff, flowers, to birds and kids. With the 7d if you hold the shutter half way for around 1 sec and unless it's dark you get at least five or more af point that spring up and sometimes af catches almost instantly. When I got the 1dx I was expecting at least the same if not insanely better performance but it seems to take almost a second to two seconds to hit focus. Aside from the birds it's about the same for subjects but her camera is just catching it faster even with us having the same lens on. It just doesn't make sense it seems almost half as fast.  And she can't do anything better because I don't play fair anymore  ::)

Lorex:
Daniel,

don't get me wrong, but are you sure that starting your photography experience with the most professional camera body is the right choice?

It's usually not about how many focus points lit up, but about the right one being perfectly focused for the shot you want to achieve. As far as I know, the 1DX has an array of focusing programs for different purposes. I'm sure some of the guys from the Best of 1DX thread will be able to help you if you describe in more detail where your focus is currently lacking.

Money does not seem to be a too big issue for you, maybe a guided photo course would also help you master the camera?

I think over time, you and the 1DX will evolve into a great team, but starting with the top model does take a longer time to master it.

Daniel 78d:

--- Quote from: Lorex on August 10, 2014, 03:35:49 AM ---Daniel,

don't get me wrong, but are you sure that starting your photography experience with the most professional camera body is the right choice?

It's usually not about how many focus points lit up, but about the right one being perfectly focused for the shot you want to achieve. As far as I know, the 1DX has an array of focusing programs for different purposes. I'm sure some of the guys from the Best of 1DX thread will be able to help you if you describe in more detail where your focus is currently lacking.

Money does not seem to be a too big issue for you, maybe a guided photo course would also help you master the camera?

I think over time, you and the 1DX will evolve into a great team, but starting with the top model does take a longer time to master it.

--- End quote ---

I know it's pretty big the camera I bought and doesn't make a whole lot of sense to many as to why I would get it this early. I do have a lot of respect for the photographers that start on rebels and grow outstanding photography businesses on kit lenses because to be honest they are real pioneers. I am very thankful to have such an opportunity to be able to get this gear and I tell you it's weird to own what I have being this green. The problem I have right now is that I have a really full plate and am trying to make sense of what I have in front of me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version