September 15, 2014, 05:41:03 AM

Author Topic: Medium Format Announcement a "Longshot at Best"  (Read 3107 times)

Lightmaster

Re: Medium Format Announcement a \
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:11 AM »
It could be 35mm full frame that gets beached by the alternatives of more compact (APS-C) and better IQ (cropped MF).

yeah sure i see us all running around with medium format 600-800mm lenses soon.  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:11 AM »

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 12:32:27 PM »
I think there's a better chance of finding an honest politician than a Canon medium format offering.
Can they do it, sure.  Will they do it, why?

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 02:38:53 PM »
It could be 35mm full frame that gets beached by the alternatives of more compact (APS-C) and better IQ (cropped MF).

I'm not so sure about that. FF stills collects 2.56x more light so when you are able to shoot a lens wide open that's a nice SNR advantage and the cams are already pushing near theoretical limits to some degree as is and if you want really crisp microcontrast and tons of MP FF again spreads it over 2.56x the surface area. MF is kinda bulky, needs all news lenses, needs big lenses that would really, really cost a fortune and to get ones with tele FOV, horror story.

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 09:06:01 AM »
IMHO as canon has declined and ceded a lot of market back from the glory days where they 80%+ dominated every segment, they need to go this way or really start challenging mirrorless. The problem for canon is that they have the same problem Nikon had before they turned around: protecting a market. Canon and to a lesser extent Nikon are making decisions to stop the mirrorless take over instead of embracing it. In many ways, they are the blackberries of the world facing the Android take over. evolve or die.

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 12:52:07 PM »
IMHO as canon has declined and ceded a lot of market back from the glory days where they 80%+ dominated every segment, they need to go this way or really start challenging mirrorless. The problem for canon is that they have the same problem Nikon had before they turned around: protecting a market. Canon and to a lesser extent Nikon are making decisions to stop the mirrorless take over instead of embracing it. In many ways, they are the blackberries of the world facing the Android take over. evolve or die.

That's assuming mirrorless is better for everything.  It isn't.  It's better for video, and in some cases for manual focus situations, and that's about it.  It's worse at just about everything else.

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
Re: Medium Format Announcement a
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 03:41:38 AM »
Oh what I would give for an affordable Phase One Achromatic shooting hour long exposures with minimal noise at ISO 33 in both visible spectrum and infrared... keep dreaming boy!

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Medium Format Announcement a
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 03:41:38 AM »