December 22, 2014, 02:13:51 AM

Author Topic: How do you deliver photos/video to clients?  (Read 3072 times)

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: How do you deliver photos/video to clients?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »
I am the only one who does not trust media that can be deleted? ???
Pendrive, hard disc, SD card and all rewritable media may have accidentally deleted your files, or caused by computer viruses. ::)
Call me old, but I trust more in DVD-R medias high quality. ;)
Ok, you're old.
Thank you. I already knew. :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
Pendrive, hard disc, SD card and all rewritable media may have accidentally deleted your files, or caused by computer viruses. ::)
Call me old, but I trust more in DVD-R medias high quality. ;)

Not only are you old, but you are misguided.

First, the question is about delivery, not archival storage. If a thumb drive goes missing or gets erased just do another one, but it has never happened to me.

Second, I had so many CD's and DVD's write badly, get scratched, get broken etc etc I can't understand anybody but a china plate merchant finding them any good for anything, that is why I have not used them for years.

Third, time has passed you by, you can protect images from erasure on a thumb drive, just lock them, then it takes a concerted effort to "accidentally" delete them. Indeed it you limit permissions on the drive it can't get a virus either as nothing can be written to it.

Burning discs is slow, unreliable, and expensive when compared to reusable thumb drives or free online folder delivery.

dcm

• Canon 70D
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 02:47:51 PM »
I switched to USB thumb drives and SD cards for delivery a while back when their capacities began to exceed optical media, optical media became optional in laptops, optical media was not supported in tablets/phones, SD card slots became widespread on laptops (even the lowest end machines),  and televisions added USB ports with software to play photos/videos directly. 

It really depends on the media needs of the client.  For example, my 80+ year old mother-in-law much prefers SD media for pictures of the great grand kid.  It's the same as printing at the store kiosk, her home photo printer, or loading onto her iPad from the SD card in her P&S camera.  It also fits in her purse better than optical media  ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:04:22 PM by dcm »
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

LDS

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 03:47:06 PM »
Not only deleted, but modified also...

Delivering images on read-only media could still be a good idea - not an old one - because it can shield you from customers complains if *they* (or someone else on their behalf, say a print service) do something silly and/or irreparable with the images, and then try to assert that is what was delivered by you. If you ever need to demonstrate what the original was, you can point at the DVDs, and it is better if the DVDs contain digitally signed and time stamped hashes of the files delivered also. That will thwart any attempt to recreate a DVD.

Of course that depends on your kind of customers, how much you need to protect yourself from troubles, and for speed/versatility you can also make the same files available as downloads. Digital signature with a timestamp could also be a good idea for them also.

Joe M

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Joe Mayer Photography
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »
I use branded usb drives now.  They are very inexpensive, quick to load and easy to mail if need be.  I have nothing against discs but little sticks are so much easier and optical media, as I see others have encountered, just don't have the capacity anymore.  Boy, the days we thought 700 megs, and then 4700 megs was a lot!  Now it's piddling.  I also use Pixieset and the clients can download from there.  Pixieset is only for images though but I've never done video so it's not been an issue (though in that case I'd provide a usb drive again). 

Tabor Warren Photography

• EOS M2
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 06:04:53 PM »
I am burning a client DVD now actually. The DVDs we send out come in a DVD case with custom printing and print release adhered directly to the disk with a business card on the inside and boutique packaging on the outside. Clients love them, though we have had two, that I know of, who had no way of reading the disk in which case, I sent them a flash drive.

My recommendation, as someone who deals with hundreds of DVDs a year, would be thumb drives.  :D

If you can get the personalized ones, awesome, but if it needs to be a generic, so be it. If the packaging is great, they will love having something to put their hands on.

Cheers,
-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x3, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT x2, 430 EX II, and Godox PB960 x2 | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

eninja

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 04:15:27 AM »
I used both dropbox and DVD-R. DVD-R for them incase, i need to delete their files in dropbox.

Since 2 years ago, I've been paying dropbox 9 usd for 100 Gig. Now, they gave free upgrade to everyone to 1TB.

Cool What!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 04:15:27 AM »

jepabst

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photographer
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »
I use BITCASA - for my storage and sharing. UNLIMITED storage for 1000 bucks a year. I store gb and gb on the cloud, it's where I backup everything. You can get 1tb for 100/year - which is 1000gb. Pretty awesome, and it integrates really smoothly into the OS, just becomes a drive letter. I love it.

I currently have 918gb on the cloud with Bitcasa for what it's worth. There is an App too, so you can access any photo, raw or JPEG, from any computer, anytime...

https://bitcasa.com/personal/pricing
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:59:30 AM by jepabst »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »