September 18, 2014, 01:58:51 AM

Author Topic: EOS M The positive experience  (Read 860 times)

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
EOS M The positive experience
« on: August 13, 2014, 05:35:21 PM »
Somewhere on this forum someone mentioned how well build the body of the M is....well since a few hours I can confirm this.Tonight I misstepped while taking pictures of the casle in Budapest an made a full scale bellyflop on the coblestones. Unfortunately with the M tourist style on its strap between me and the ground. Heard the ping when the uv filter broke, saw about half of the sunshade of the 11-22 fly away. After checking the looking at the M i thought that was the end: the top of the canera connecst both halfs of the chasis in a line in front of the hotshoe. Along this line the camera was open like a clamshell abiut a centineter wide. While i started to curse my 6 year old son gave the chassis a hearty sqeete and it snapped back together again. After finding the battery a meter away the camera switched on again and camera and efm 11-22 work fine. I nabaged to destroy an analog eos 100 and a EOS 30d the M is so far the only Canon I was able to use again after seeing its inside....

canon rumors FORUM

EOS M The positive experience
« on: August 13, 2014, 05:35:21 PM »

Mellonhead

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: EOS M The positive experience
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:42:51 AM »
That was the ultimate torture test for sure!  Glad it survived.   I am not gentle with my gear and my 'M' has proven to be one tough camera as well.

mvrbnsn

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: EOS M--My Almost Horror Story
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 12:01:54 PM »
I had a similar experience. Last winter I made the mistake of hanging my new white EOS M from my shoulder
(only had compact cameras in recent years (S95 and such) so was used to carrying from a wrist strap).
While I was securing my camera bag instead, the camera slipped off and went crashing onto a large jagged rock below. I was at Great Falls National Park by an overlook, very rocky!

In that split-second slow motion as I helplessly watched it fall, I expected destruction, but amazingly and thankfully it landed on a corner. There was a small ding in the body and a scrape revealing the metal below the paint. The 22mm lens didn't suffer any damage.

I was very upset and thoroughly annoyed with myself. Fortunately I have a lot of experience with various types of paint. So later I removed the lens, put on the lens body cap, very carefully and precisely masked the camera body with masking tape and paper. Then I feathered in white lacquer (automotive spray paint--can). After a day or so I put a coat of clear lacquer over it.

While it hacked me off to have to do this to a new camera, you wouldn't notice it with the naked eye unless you knew it and looked very closely. The finish is reasonably close in sheen.

Whew! That was a close one. But a testament to a well build camera.
I am much more careful now, to be sure.

vdx

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »
Were you carrying your keyboard with you as well? O:)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »