November 23, 2014, 10:20:54 PM

Author Topic: A Rundown of EOS 7D Mark II Information  (Read 36326 times)

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: A Rundown of EOS 7D Mark II Information
« Reply #255 on: August 16, 2014, 06:29:47 PM »
"Serious" videographers should not clamor for freaking video-optimized crap in stills cameras, especially not in DSLRS with a mirror in the lightpath. They should go buy a panasonic GH4 if they are poor or a Sony A7S if they want "full frame/shallow DOF" or a canon C-something if they want a video-optimized camera or if they really dont mind the mirror and want FF plus 4k, then a canon EOS 1D-C ... if they are not so poor. An APS-C DSLR is by its very nature the least suitable video-recording device. So stay away from it.

I hope the 7D successor comes without any video-recording capabilities whatsoever. A lean and mean STILLS machine.
"Serious" videographers should not clamor for freaking video-optimized crap in stills cameras, especially not in DSLRS with a mirror in the lightpath. They should go buy a panasonic GH4 if they are poor or a Sony A7S if they want "full frame/shallow DOF" or a canon C-something if they want a video-optimized camera or if they really dont mind the mirror and want FF plus 4k, then a canon EOS 1D-C ... if they are not so poor. An APS-C DSLR is by its very nature the least suitable video-recording device. So stay away from it.

I hope the 7D successor comes without any video-recording capabilities whatsoever. A lean and mean STILLS machine.

Your post is extremely ignorant. Please refrain from posting your drivel.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #255 on: August 16, 2014, 06:29:47 PM »

Marauder

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 16, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »
I concur.  The potential absence of a touch screen surprised me, rather than upset me.  But for me a killer AF with amazing speed and accuracy, combined with a high burst rate (and deep buffer to use it), are the two main "must have" items for this camera.  An improved sensor is also very desirable and I think that may be the biggest challenge for them to achieve. 

Like you, I also want them to succeed and succeed well.  Not just because I have a lot invested in their equipment, but because I want to see them retain their own sensor designing team.  The best way to make sure both Sony and Canon sensors continue to improve is a healthy competition and spirit of innovation for both sensor design teams. (Oh yes, and Fuji too!).

I totally agree. We really need competition in the marketplace. Aptina and some of the other sensor manufacturers don't really compete in the larger form factor  camera market (DSLRs and larger-sensor mirrorless). Since Nikon has effectively bowed out...it's mainly Sony and Canon, with a little bit of competition from Panasonic and maybe one or two other small players. So I agree, it's critical that Canon succeed here, so they don't hand Sony a default monopoly on a platter.

Jon, am I detecting a note of pessimism when it comes to the sensor tech, or do you think they'll pull it out of the hat?

I dunno. I've watched Canon for years now. I had high hopes, based on the patents I've read about. But when you dig into the history of those patents, many of them were initially filed before the 7D came out, or shortly after the 7D. Some were filed around the time the 1D IV came out. Filed, then granted usually around 18 months later. That means Canon had the technology long before that. Some of the patents indicate initial research in 2004, 2005, 2006.

A lot of Canon's patents sound very similar to the technology Sony has in the Exmor. I know Canon has a CP-ADC patent. They also have some very interesting patents that involve reducing dark current noise (something else Sony is very good at...Sony has some of the lowest dark current noise CCD sensors on the market that kick the crap out of the long-standing Kodak sensors. A Kodak KAF-8300, for example, has 0.02e-/s/px dark current noise accumulation, where as the new Sony ICX 674 and 694 sensors have an incredible 0.003e-/s/px...which is so low that no one who uses an astrocam with a Sony CCD even bothers with dark frames anymore...they simply aren't necessary anymore.) Canon has a patent that uses some kind of dynamic power disconnection to prevent dark current accumulation...I suspect it could reduce dark current levels below even Sony's CCD sensor levels. Canon also has a dual scale ADC readout system, which would allow them to switch to a slower readout speed when possible, which would also reduce read noise (a lot of read noise comes from high frequency components...reduce the frequency, reduce the noise.)

Canon has all this technology, and yet...where is it? Some if it is a decade old!! Where is it?

Yeah, I'm pretty pessimistic now when it comes to Canon's ability to actually EMPLOY their patents in actual products. There is another company that was like that. They were one of the most innovative companies in the cellphone industry. They have a patent library that is MASSIVE, and has some of the most incredible technology in the cell phone, smartphone, and tablet industry. They had technology patented long before Apple started making things like the iPhone and iPad that could have crushed Apple before they even got started. But they never used the technology. They invented it all...and just sat on it.

That company was Nokia. They used to be at the top of the cellphone world. They were the biggest manufacturer, raking in more money than all the rest combined. Look where they are now. They are a shadow of their former shadow, and Nokia itself no longer even owns a lot of those patents as they've sold them to Microsoft. Microsoft themselves is another company that rested on their laurels, and lost the race. They are still a force in the tech industry, but they have a major perceptual problem...they are often perceived as irrelevant now.

When I look at Canon...I see some kind of blend between Microsoft and Nokia being their future. Canon has a LOT of amazing technology. They've prototyped ultra high resolution sensors with very high frame rates. They file more patents every year than nearly all other companies. And yet...where are the products that use that technology? Canon is quickly racing towards a future where they could potentially be perceived as irrelevant by the consumers that currently pay Canon's bills, fund their innovation. Canon is quickly racing towards a future where they have a ton of technology that they are just sitting on, just like Nokia, just like Kodak, instead of putting it to work making competitive products that give their competitors a run for their money.

So yeah. I'm pretty pessimistic about Canon's ability to bring technology to bear in their products. The 7D II should have been in the works a long time ago. Canon should have been making it a competitive product long before the 5D III was released. Canon should have known where their competitors were going, so they wouldn't have been caught so massively off guard (as it seems clear now that they were...otherwise they wouldn't have had to delay the 7D II release so much...it's now two years overdue, that's a really long time.)

I am hoping the 7D II gets a major boost to still photography IQ, but it's a pessimistic hope.  :-\
Agreed! They have done great things in the lab, but I think any advancements at the consumer level are not going to happen until they finally switch to finer lithography for their production work. They have this capability for the p/s models, but the DSLR sensors are still on old tech fabrication lines.

What I hope has been happening is that Canon had accurately foreseen the shrinkage of the P/S market and made the decision not to spend the immense amount of dollars to create a new fabrication line because they knew that space would be available in the future on the existing P/S line.... and I hope that the 7D2 will be the first DSLR sensor to come from this new line, with all the improvements they have been working on for the last 10 or so years.

I hope they do pull a rabbit out of their hat for this camera.  A lot of eyes are on them right now.  DPAF itself is an amazing technology that is unique to Canon.  Now, if they can get IQ improvements as well, they will have an amazing line of new cameras.  Hopefully the 7D2 delivers on that front as well and is the precursor for a whole new family of amazing sensors.  Canon 'can' do it.  They just need the same spirit they had when they scrapped the FD cameras and lenses for the EOS and EF system!  They are clearly capable of great leaps!
Canon 7D, Canon T3i, Canon 100-400L, Canon 200 f2.8L & Various other lenses

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 16, 2014, 07:13:07 PM »
@mcguyver: I hope too it will not be a "cripple to fit"- body.
Would be very nice they bring out a body which shows, what is possible now.
As the coming APS- C top notch body from the leading company it should fit in this category.

We will see soon.
I hope.
1D MKIV, 5DMk III, lot of lenses, flashes etc
Fuji X100s, Sony RX100 III,
Fuji X- E2, XF 23 1,4, XF 18- 55 2,8-4

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 16, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »
I concur.  The potential absence of a touch screen surprised me, rather than upset me.  But for me a killer AF with amazing speed and accuracy, combined with a high burst rate (and deep buffer to use it), are the two main "must have" items for this camera.  An improved sensor is also very desirable and I think that may be the biggest challenge for them to achieve. 

Like you, I also want them to succeed and succeed well.  Not just because I have a lot invested in their equipment, but because I want to see them retain their own sensor designing team.  The best way to make sure both Sony and Canon sensors continue to improve is a healthy competition and spirit of innovation for both sensor design teams. (Oh yes, and Fuji too!).

I totally agree. We really need competition in the marketplace. Aptina and some of the other sensor manufacturers don't really compete in the larger form factor  camera market (DSLRs and larger-sensor mirrorless). Since Nikon has effectively bowed out...it's mainly Sony and Canon, with a little bit of competition from Panasonic and maybe one or two other small players. So I agree, it's critical that Canon succeed here, so they don't hand Sony a default monopoly on a platter.

Jon, am I detecting a note of pessimism when it comes to the sensor tech, or do you think they'll pull it out of the hat?

I dunno. I've watched Canon for years now. I had high hopes, based on the patents I've read about. But when you dig into the history of those patents, many of them were initially filed before the 7D came out, or shortly after the 7D. Some were filed around the time the 1D IV came out. Filed, then granted usually around 18 months later. That means Canon had the technology long before that. Some of the patents indicate initial research in 2004, 2005, 2006.

A lot of Canon's patents sound very similar to the technology Sony has in the Exmor. I know Canon has a CP-ADC patent. They also have some very interesting patents that involve reducing dark current noise (something else Sony is very good at...Sony has some of the lowest dark current noise CCD sensors on the market that kick the crap out of the long-standing Kodak sensors. A Kodak KAF-8300, for example, has 0.02e-/s/px dark current noise accumulation, where as the new Sony ICX 674 and 694 sensors have an incredible 0.003e-/s/px...which is so low that no one who uses an astrocam with a Sony CCD even bothers with dark frames anymore...they simply aren't necessary anymore.) Canon has a patent that uses some kind of dynamic power disconnection to prevent dark current accumulation...I suspect it could reduce dark current levels below even Sony's CCD sensor levels. Canon also has a dual scale ADC readout system, which would allow them to switch to a slower readout speed when possible, which would also reduce read noise (a lot of read noise comes from high frequency components...reduce the frequency, reduce the noise.)

Canon has all this technology, and yet...where is it? Some if it is a decade old!! Where is it?

Yeah, I'm pretty pessimistic now when it comes to Canon's ability to actually EMPLOY their patents in actual products. There is another company that was like that. They were one of the most innovative companies in the cellphone industry. They have a patent library that is MASSIVE, and has some of the most incredible technology in the cell phone, smartphone, and tablet industry. They had technology patented long before Apple started making things like the iPhone and iPad that could have crushed Apple before they even got started. But they never used the technology. They invented it all...and just sat on it.

That company was Nokia. They used to be at the top of the cellphone world. They were the biggest manufacturer, raking in more money than all the rest combined. Look where they are now. They are a shadow of their former shadow, and Nokia itself no longer even owns a lot of those patents as they've sold them to Microsoft. Microsoft themselves is another company that rested on their laurels, and lost the race. They are still a force in the tech industry, but they have a major perceptual problem...they are often perceived as irrelevant now.

When I look at Canon...I see some kind of blend between Microsoft and Nokia being their future. Canon has a LOT of amazing technology. They've prototyped ultra high resolution sensors with very high frame rates. They file more patents every year than nearly all other companies. And yet...where are the products that use that technology? Canon is quickly racing towards a future where they could potentially be perceived as irrelevant by the consumers that currently pay Canon's bills, fund their innovation. Canon is quickly racing towards a future where they have a ton of technology that they are just sitting on, just like Nokia, just like Kodak, instead of putting it to work making competitive products that give their competitors a run for their money.

So yeah. I'm pretty pessimistic about Canon's ability to bring technology to bear in their products. The 7D II should have been in the works a long time ago. Canon should have been making it a competitive product long before the 5D III was released. Canon should have known where their competitors were going, so they wouldn't have been caught so massively off guard (as it seems clear now that they were...otherwise they wouldn't have had to delay the 7D II release so much...it's now two years overdue, that's a really long time.)

I am hoping the 7D II gets a major boost to still photography IQ, but it's a pessimistic hope.  :-\

Apple does get lucky! Atari could've beaten the MAC to the market, but they wanted to milk the 8bits more and kept telling the engineers to go away until they saw a need to actually do anything with the new ideas. By the Atari fumbled that and the tech eventually ended up at CBM and got put together Apple already had the MAC out for some time. Of course the Amiga was infinitely more advanced in every single way. But Apple also made some huge extra bits of their own luck by being masters of marketing and dirty tricks and once they got theirs out first they set things up so others, especially coming from companies also having strong associations with gaming, would have a rough, rough go of it.

Even today the average person on the street thinks Apple, IBM and Microsoft did at all and where always, one or the other, the tech leaders, when nothing could possible be farther from the truth. The average person doesn't even know the names of many of the true greats of early home computing era. They know of Wozniak, Jobs, Gates and if that is all they know, they truly know not all that much more than nothing. And we are saddled today with nasty Windows OS and somewhat archaic OSX and Linux. At least the hardware slowly did become more in the spirit of what the others guys did all along, way back since the early 80s (when they used to mock such things as being 'jokes' and 'toys').

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 16, 2014, 07:52:08 PM »
I wish Canon well.  It would be nice to think about purchasing a Canon camera again.  I love their tilt shift lenses.

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 16, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »
That's not my line of thought. My line of thought is, adding a touch screen and all the firmware requires resources at Canon to perform. They have to implement it, test it, work the bugs out of it, etc. All that...when there are other things Canon could be investing those resources into.

Again, they've already developed this tech. Adding it to the 7D2 would have required minimal effort during development. (Assuming this particular rumor is even true and it's not in fact there.) Doing so would involve separate engineers from, say, sensor development.

There probably were test units in the wild with touch screens which were the source of the initial rumors. They probably did in fact develop it. If it didn't make it to production, it likely was due to reliability. Admittedly I'll take build over touch screen at this time. But by the mark III reliability issues should be solved so that all their cameras can have a touch UI *** which compliments the physical UI ***.

it is the farthest thing from the most "essential" feature that the 7D II could possibly get.

It is now annoying to use a camera that does not have touch. There are two cameras on my radar: a Sony A7 and the next Canon 7D. Neither has touch. This will not stop me personally from buying either, but it is annoying. Further...it will stop some people because touch UI is that important to the way they work. I can totally see why a cinematographer would demand a touch screen UI.

Personally, the deal breaker for me, is whether Canon does something fundamentally new with their sensor design or not.

Whatever they've done, there are too many rumors to assume it's a reheated version of the 70D sensor. I doubt multilayer is true, but I hope I'm wrong. Either they're using two layers for DR or three for RGB, and there's potential for great IQ gains either way.

same old freakin gimped out 19pt AF system that can't reliably maintain a SOLID lock on a target.

I swear the 7D is the most divisive camera body. Either you think the IQ is great or you hate it. Either you have no problems with AF servo or it never works. Did Canon have a QC issue I'm not aware of???

I can't remember the last time my 7D lost AF lock on a target with either of my "sports" lenses, 70-200 f/4L and 300 f/4L IS, or with the 85 f/1.8 at distance.

If I have any complaints with my 7D's AF it's AF accuracy, particularly in very low light, with fast (f/2 or faster) primes shot wide open at closer (portrait) distances. There's too much play in these situations. Spot AF helps a bit.

Canon has a problem. I know you do not believe that, but they do. It's a perceptual problem, and it could seriously affect their revenues and ability to fund the necessary R&D in the years to come.

They are #1 in DSLR sales. If they have a problem it certainly has not affected their revenues or R&D to date.

Such things have happened before, and often companies, even if they were on the top of the world, NEVER recover (Kodak?)

Kodak was hit by a fundamental shift in technology equivalent to the invention of PCs and their impact on the typewriter industry. False analogy is false.

PureClassA

• EOS M2
  • Canon since age 5. The A1
    • View Profile
    • Shields Photography
« Reply #261 on: August 16, 2014, 08:23:44 PM »
No wifi or touch screen? Bummer. All future canon prosumer cameras should have BOTH wifi and touch screens IMHO.

Comments like this make me think people don't know how to use a DSLR. DSLRs are devices that you need to instantly change settings on. You need to be able to dial in exposure on a dime when the light changes. Who in the world, ESPECIALLY pros, want to pull the camera away from their face so they can fiddle with a clunky touch screen? It's sad how smartphone mentality is invading every other area of our lives...in many cases, a touch screen is the primitive configuration device, and all the "archaic old buttons and dials" are actually the vastly superior and far more reliable means of controlling and configuring something like a DSLR (or, for that matter, a remote control, an airplane cockpit, or a nuclear launch facility, or pretty much anything where the behavior of a given doodad has to be EXACT, fixed in behavior and place, reliable, hardened against rough activity, instantaneous, and immune to things like software bugs, viruses, etc.)

Touch screens on consumer devices make sense. Touch screens on professional grade devices designed for use by people who know how to train muscle and procedural memory, and prefer instantaneous access to many features of the camera without the need to look at anything, or remove their eye from the viewfinder...are quite frankly the most confusing "innovation" I can think of.

I'm not necessarily against adding a touch screen, but it is FAR from a dealbreaker if one is not included on the 7D II. Same goes for WiFi. It's not an essential...in the end, it does NOTHING for my photography. It's just a handy gizmo that MIGHT make data transfer from the camera to the computer easier. To me, the most critical, fundamental, hell foundational aspects of the 7D line of cameras are frame rate, AF system, metering and sensor. If those things don't add up to a significant upgrade, something like a two-generational update over the 7D I, then I'd be worried.

B I N G O!!!!!!!!!!!!   
Financial Planner by day. Photographer by ... well... every other free minute I have.

Canon 7D, 6D, 85 f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 135mm f/2 L, 16-35mm f/4 L,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS Mk II, 2x II     Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART, 50mm f/1.4 ART  Tokina 11-16 2.8   Canon EOS M

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #261 on: August 16, 2014, 08:23:44 PM »

DominoDude

• Canon 7D MK II
  • 3 out of 2 voices in my head says I have DID.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 16, 2014, 08:25:50 PM »
I really don't see the benefits of adding a touch screen. I prefer the tactile feedback from a button or a dial. Would a touch screen still work flawlessly on a cold winter day when it's snowing and the gloves are on? Would it work if I was out shooting in the rain?
Things you learn with age: No matter how are you drunk *hic!* you will never be able to do a clean sha*hic!*aaave with an electric foot file. *waves fist at Scholl*

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 16, 2014, 08:44:21 PM »
Canon has a problem. I know you do not believe that, but they do. It's a perceptual problem, and it could seriously affect their revenues and ability to fund the necessary R&D in the years to come. Such things have happened before, and often companies, even if they were on the top of the world, NEVER recover (Kodak?) So...seriously...touch screens and touch UIs?

Canon has a perceptual problem?  That depends on who is doing the perceiving.  If you're referring to CR Forums and similar places, perhaps.  Perceived 'poor sensor IQ' is an Internet forum problem Canon has had for years.  Hasn't affected their market share, though.

As dtaylor stated, the analogy to Kodak is a red herring. 

Seriously, touch screens and touch UIs.  Entry level cameras have them.  Canon wants people to upgrade, and people don't like to give up features to which they're accustomed.  Omitting basic features which a majority of their customer base expects to be included (a category into which touch screens fall, but low ISO DR does not) would certainly 'seriously affect their revenues and ability to fund the necessary R&D in the years to come'.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 16, 2014, 08:59:14 PM »
Would a touch screen still work flawlessly on a cold winter day when it's snowing and the gloves are on?

I've spent hours out shooting snowy owls and bald eagles on frigid New England winter days.  Lots and lots of waiting time between flights...time during which I sometimes post on CR from the touchscreen of my iPhone, with my hands toasty warm in technical gloves. Just sayin'...   :)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Old Sarge

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 16, 2014, 09:29:41 PM »
Canon has a problem. I know you do not believe that, but they do. It's a perceptual problem, and it could seriously affect their revenues and ability to fund the necessary R&D in the years to come. Such things have happened before, and often companies, even if they were on the top of the world, NEVER recover (Kodak?) So...seriously...touch screens and touch UIs?

Canon has a perceptual problem?  That depends on who is doing the perceiving.  If you're referring to CR Forums and similar places, perhaps.  Perceived 'poor sensor IQ' is an Internet forum problem Canon has had for years.  Hasn't affected their market share, though.

Seriously, touch screens and touch UIs.  Entry level cameras have them.  Canon wants people to upgrade, and people don't like to give up features to which they're accustomed.  Omitting basic features which a majority of their customer base expects to be included (a category into which touch screens fall, but low ISO DR does not) would certainly 'seriously affect their revenues and ability to fund the necessary R&D in the years to come'.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Personally, I am not real fond of touch screens.  Even so, I use an iPhone, not a Blackberry; I have a Nexus 7, I recently acquired a Surface Pro 3 and use it as a tablet more than I use the keyboard attachment.  A good friend just got a 70D and I helped him set it up.  Ended up using the touchscreen half the time setting it up.  IF the 7DII, by whatever name, is in my price range it won't matter whether it has a touchscreen or not as far as I am concerned.  I probably won't use it much if it has it and I won't miss it much if it doesn't.  I don't shoot video much and since I have it on my G12 and my 7D I don't really care if the 7DII has it or not....but it makes a big difference for some people.  Having features I don't have to use doesn't bother me as long as I get improved IQ, improved DR would be nice, and improved AF would be necessary for me to spend my money. 
The Old Sarge

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #266 on: August 16, 2014, 09:35:33 PM »

Neuro, I admire your patience and persistence.

Clearly, this is one of those things that, for some people, goes beyond logic and rationality.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

PureClassA

• EOS M2
  • Canon since age 5. The A1
    • View Profile
    • Shields Photography
« Reply #267 on: August 16, 2014, 09:51:24 PM »
I think jrista's whole point was essentially that at THIS level of the Canon spectrum, cool features should play second fiddle to fundamentals. And I agree. If Canon is trying to make a paramount pro-level crop, keep pricing reasonable, and focus most consciously on the things that matter most to the target market they're after on the broadest scale possible....then they (and we) should be clamouring for solid and unmatched fundamentals. Maybe some analogies were misaligned but I appreciate his take on this.  I've been Canon since I was five years old holding dad's A1. I still have it.

The 70D fills the upscale consumer market. The enthusiasts and the crossover videographers. Feature rich with touch and wifi.

The 7DX is for a more discerning palate looking for solid build (1DXish) in a crop that can handle harsh conditions if need be and deliver 1DXish AF and FPS.  If engineering such a beast negates the use of touch and wifi, so be it. I agree that I do not believe Canon would cut such features without serious reason. One of which may be price considering everything else they wish to accomplish.

I can live fine without either. I won't miss them. I know how to toggle a canon menu well enough. So do most of the pros who would be considering this grade of machine.

In the end, all this is little more than enjoyable conjecture and academia. We don't and won't know anything til the proverbial S___ hits the fan next month :-)
Financial Planner by day. Photographer by ... well... every other free minute I have.

Canon 7D, 6D, 85 f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 135mm f/2 L, 16-35mm f/4 L,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS Mk II, 2x II     Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART, 50mm f/1.4 ART  Tokina 11-16 2.8   Canon EOS M

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #267 on: August 16, 2014, 09:51:24 PM »

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 16, 2014, 10:02:05 PM »
Would a touch screen still work flawlessly on a cold winter day when it's snowing and the gloves are on?
Around here it very rarely snows on a cold winter day... it usually has to warm up to -20C or higher before it snows. :)

Seriously though, very few cameras are rated for use below freezing. The Olympus Tough series of p/s cameras are one of the few exceptions and it is only good down to -10C. Once most DSLRs get cold the displays stop working.... the LCD shoulder displays are usually the first to go.... touchscreens and the rear displays seem to keep on going longer....

From using the camera hooked up to a telescope in the winter, I would be more than happy to have WiFi to a phone so I could remote control the camera once the camera displays stop working....
The best camera is the one in your hands

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 16, 2014, 10:08:56 PM »
EOS-1 style top plate

No mode dial?
Darn it! You beat me to it! ;)

You cant get EOS1 style weather sealing with a mode dial.  All buttons underneath a continuous rubber film will seal it from rain and gorilla pee.  More to sway my decision toward this being closer to a 1DX than a 7D and hence a loftier price tag.
:)
Yup, I know that. Obviously a failed attempt at humour.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #269 on: August 16, 2014, 10:08:56 PM »