December 20, 2014, 11:18:55 PM

Author Topic: How Much that Photographers get ?  (Read 5976 times)

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: How Much that Photographers get ?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 01:55:22 AM »
There are several kinds of photography Retail photography is Portraits and Weddings. Photojournalists shoot for newspapers. Editorial photographers shoot for high-end magazines. Advertising photographers shoot photos used for ads. Some photographers shoot both Editorial and Advertising.

There a huge difference in pay between the low-end and the top-end.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 01:55:22 AM »

Lawliet

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 05:34:25 AM »
Wow, I am very glad that I am not the real Photographer.

Looking at the photographers around town:
Quite a lot do day-to-day media work/small scale event coverage on a freelance basis. This pays, once you do the bookkeeping properly, below minimum wage for untrained labor.
A handful do work for in advertisement/commercial photography. That nets you an annual income similar to what you could expect as a MSc, although with greater fluctuations from month to month. The clients also pay for your creative input, giving you more freedom in that regard. And you meet interesting people & get to play with fancy toys.

Anyone in the first group should take a step back and think thoroughly about your statement.
I'd say those who did either advanced into the second group or got a different job.

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 10:25:19 AM »
Thanks you so much, Dear Teachers and Friends.
Atleast, We start to talk and observe  another one experience of Photography business and the Photographers , who earn the living by sell the creative (?) Photos.
Yes, I see the Real Photographers in work, To shoot the High school Students for the year book = They are just the ROBOTS---Set the equipments/ Lighting, the Background screen---And Keep on shooting/ Pressing the shutter by the remote control= Yes, They make a lot of money for their job, But----Just their Job= try to get the perfected exposure/ lighting at the face of the models.
Thanks you, Sir/ Madam to post and Talk in this Value Knowledge of  the photography in the Money subjects.
Have a great work week.
Surapon

PS. One of my great Photography Teacher, teach me that= Most of Creative Brain and the  Artistic Heart of Photographers= are increase by the proportion of the Great Whiskey in their Blood= Similar to the Photos below----Ha, Ha, Ha.----The More Whiskey in their Blood,  The Creativity are increase and The Worry of the Money matter are decrease.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 10:44:41 AM »
Surapon, those are four of my favorite things ;D

justawriter

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 11:40:54 AM »
I would guess that the photojournalists for smaller papers are pulling those wage numbers down. A saying I stole goes, "Journalists avoid a lot of income taxes by avoiding a lot of income." And unfortunately, a lot of publishers look at "content" (which used to be called news) as something to keep the ads from bumping into each other. "Content providers" are looked at as something cheap and easily replaceable. That's one reason the internet is killing the news business (another is that Craigslist has taken away a lot of the classified ad revenue that papers used to depend on).
That being said, I find the news business to be a lot of fun and I am rarely bored and sometimes I can con talk my boss into kicking in a few bucks for a new toy for my camera. ;)

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 11:47:56 AM »

Dear Friend , Mr. mackguyver
I just count  only = 3 Things in this photo  that you like, What is the 4 Th. Item that you Prefer ?
No, No, NO---You can count  each Item, Not the Quantity of the Items.
Ha, Ha, Ha.
Surapon

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »

+1   ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 12:13:24 PM »
One thing I have noticed is that Canon photographers earn significantly more. After all, when you pull out the white L lens, it screams top-end photographer.

Lawliet

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 12:16:31 PM »

Maybe, just maybe: Camera, the drink, the (implied) strobes, and depending on personal preference the lens or the set of gels?
In certain locations, some additional clothing might be nice to have as well. :)

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 01:23:41 PM »

Maybe, just maybe: Camera, the drink, the (implied) strobes, and depending on personal preference the lens or the set of gels?
In certain locations, some additional clothing might be nice to have as well. :)
I was thinking (1) camera (2) bottle of Jack (3) bracelet (4) other bracelet, but then again, I may be the reason that bottle of Jack isn't full ;)

AcutancePhotography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »
"and the top 10 percent earned more than $32.21."

Yikes!  That't the top 10%!

I do not envy anyone trying to earn their living solely from photography.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 02:21:05 PM »
In my tiny corner of the photography world (automotive editorial), staff guys earn between $30-$45K. Beyond that, in the freelance/contract world, it's almost impossible to pin down an exact figure. On one end of the spectrum, there are people that work for nothing or next to nothing. They might only make a couple hundred dollars per year! They usually have full-time jobs in other professions, and shoot for fun. Some are itching to join a staff, but haven't had the opportunity to do so.

On the other end of the editorial spectrum, there are guys who would never join a staff because they make way more money on a contracted basis. Many got started working on a staff, but quit upon realizing the greater earning potential doing contracted work. Annual earning range between $50K-$100K. Most fall right in the middle. That said, most full-time freelance photographers that specialize in editorial work also dabble in some product and advertising photography as well.

The guys that clear $100K usually have a fair amount of public relations photography gigs, and do some editorial work on the side. By PR work, I referencing photographers that shoot images for OE manufacturers (GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, BMW, etc) that will be distributed to media outlets.

The top dogs in the business are commercial photographers that don't even bother with editorial work. These are they guys shooting brochures, ad campaigns, and billboards. In the U.S., you can count these guys on one or two hands :) Everyone aspires to be as good as them someday. They can charge hundreds of thousands of dollars per shoot, but they also have full-time staff members, hoards of assistants, and 18-wheelers full of equipment that rack up the expenses. Even so, they earn hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.

The unofficial hierarchy of earnings/prestige is:

1) Commercial photography
2) PR photography
3) Editorial photography

Of course, that's just my opinion ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:23:25 PM by V8Beast »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
Getting back to the topic (after Surapon's pleasant distraction), I shoot part-time and generally make good money, but there's not enough work to keep food on the table.  Rates vary wildly by size and type of client, but I would have to have jobs at least 2-3 days a week (around 100 days/year) to replace the income I make from my consulting work that I do nearly full time.  I generally have about 30-60 paid photo days a year, and there is a lot of inconsistency to them so I think it would be a struggle to live on that income alone. 

Now please excuse me while I return to the gilded cage that is my primary profession.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »

xps

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 03:13:30 PM »
How much will it be? 15.000€?

Lloyd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • BRRLaw
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 04:55:26 PM »
Don't disparage Craig's list... where else can you buy camera gear, get a job using it, and find a "date" for the event all on the same site... though the date may cost more than the money you make doing the event.
I would argue to the client that your Craigslist closely held business model allows you to charge more as it probably offers an enhanced product and gives the client the comfort in knowing they have hired two professionals for their special event. 
5D mkIII, 60D, 20D; 24-70mm f/2.8L; 24-105mm F4L; 70-200mm f/2.8L IS;  TS-E 17mm f/4L; Canon FD 800mm 5.6L; Canon FD 55mm f/1.2;  10-22mm f/3.5-4.5; Canon extenders 1.4X II and 2X II; Canon  580EX and 430EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 04:55:26 PM »