October 20, 2014, 07:23:48 PM

Author Topic: In Hawaii - filter help needed  (Read 798 times)

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
In Hawaii - filter help needed
« on: August 15, 2014, 06:07:35 PM »
Hi all,

I am hoping some of you can give me some advice.

I'm in Hawaii and have been having fun with my B+W UV and CPL Kasemann filters and my Lee and Hitech 4x6 filters.

Unfortunately, they all now have this film of salt and possibly fine sand on them. 

How do I clean them with scratching them?

What I have with me: lots of micro fiber cloths, a brush, some Calumet wet and dry disposable wipes, and one lens pen. 

I'm about to get on a plane for Kauai and am hoping you can tell me what to do or what I need to buy. I have three more days on the island and would like to get theses filters cleaned while I'm still here.

Thank you in advance!

Vivid

canon rumors FORUM

In Hawaii - filter help needed
« on: August 15, 2014, 06:07:35 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: In Hawaii - filter help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 06:25:41 PM »
Hi all,

I am hoping some of you can give me some advice.

I'm in Hawaii and have been having fun with my B+W UV and CPL Kasemann filters and my Lee and Hitech 4x6 filters.

Unfortunately, they all now have this film of salt and possibly fine sand on them. 

How do I clean them with scratching them?

What I have with me: lots of micro fiber cloths, a brush, some Calumet wet and dry disposable wipes, and one lens pen. 

I'm about to get on a plane for Kauai and am hoping you can tell me what to do or what I need to buy. I have three more days on the island and would like to get theses filters cleaned while I'm still here.

Thank you in advance!

Vivid
warm fresh water for the salt... hopefully that will get rid of the sand too... you really don't want to rub them as it will scratch the coatings.
The best camera is the one in your hands

lintoni

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 06:49:41 PM »
warm fresh water for the salt... hopefully that will get rid of the sand too... you really don't want to rub them as it will scratch the coatings.
+1

Leave them to dry by placing against something solid at approx 60° angle, onto tissue or microfiber cloth and you should be good.
EOS 5D iii, EOS 5, EOS 30, EF17-40L, EF24-105L, EF100-400L, EF100 f/2.8 macro, Samyang 14 f/2.8, 550EX, Magic Lantern

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 02:18:28 PM »
Thank you Don and Iintoni for your quick and very helpful replies. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Vivid

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 04:27:43 AM »
Don and Iintoni, I thought you'd like to know that I followed your advice, and it worked like a charm. Thank you again so very much.

Vivid

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 04:54:20 AM »
Always nice to see a happy ending...
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 04:54:20 AM »