September 20, 2014, 08:38:09 PM

Author Topic: What does Sigma do next?  (Read 2245 times)

tyger11

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: What does Sigma do next?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »
Cine lenses, all with IS. Even if they only cost $2,500 each (for primes), that's half of the Canon price (which don't have IS). There is money to be made in that space, where AF doesn't matter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 09:39:54 PM »
They would kill it with sharp long glass (400/500/600) that is 1/2 the price of the OEM models. 

Doing it with primes seems to be safer for them than zooms, and it seems to be where they have won their loudest praise (35mm and 50mm Art), compared to respectable but not stand-out billing for their zooms.

The tilt-shift comment above makes a lot of sense.  Get all the points for sharpness, and none of the griping about the autofocus, there being none.  I am not sure how many tilt-shift units get sold every year compared to lenses of more general appeal, such as telephotos, but at some point Sigma ought to get around to doing a TS.

Also, what about a "Sport" teleconverter?  No autofocus required!  Just good sharp glass, and sharpness seems to be their strong suit.  Maybe throw in $2 bucks worth of gaskets, though, so you could say it is weather sealed when you put it in between your 5d3 and your sealed "L" lens.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
Sigma is bringing something big for Photokina  :P

;D 

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 10:29:53 PM »
I think Tamron has already tried to answer that question, 150-600 mm.  Either with a top end zoom or a serious of primes.  Take Canon on at 400 f/5.6 OS or, even better, 500 f/5.6 OS.  Or, have Sigma update their zooms that go out to 500 mm.  They would have to beat Canon on price in the 85-135  mm range. 

Granted, I've always wanted to see a "portrait" zoom, 50-150 f/2.8.

The problem I see Sigma having trying to offer greater performance with their zooms is that they may not be able to follow the same "give up size saving for optical performance" philosophy they have for a lot of their recent releases.

Something like the 35mm 1.4 becoming a bit bulkier isn't that big an issue for most users, adding extra size/weight to a zoom that already weights 700-900g is more of an issue.

Maiaibing

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 12:21:35 AM »
If you were Sigma, what part of Canon's (or Nikon's) lens lineup is weak and easily attacked?

They have said they are working on a 300mm f/2.8 OS model. Now that's a lens with a price where they could go in and get a serious chunck of the market if they can make an excellent lens for a price more people could afford.

Another option is a modern 300mm f/4 OS art.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:55:39 PM by Maiaibing »

Beckscum

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 02:16:44 AM »
It would be great to push 14-24 f/4 to 12mm or below, but keep it light, i.e. Below 600g, filter size limited to 82mm, or more preferably 77mm, light fall off at corner is no big deal becoz it can be corrected by LR easily. No IS/OS is okay, we don't need it for wide angle.

Price it cheap and I am sure Sigma can sell a lot, it be be another legend similar to Canon 17-40 f/4 for another 5-10 yrs. I think keep its optical superior with light in weight, cheap in price can make Sigma win the race.

I owned an 35 Art and now just bought 50 Art. Its shoot-in-into-light performance makes my jaw drop, I like it a lot.

Keith_Reeder

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 06:18:18 AM »
is that they are not able to make a reliable, consistent, AF, on their lenses for Canon.

And yet I've been using my Siggy 120-300mm f/2.8 OS hard for nigh on three years, shooting birds, aircraft, fast bikes, moto-x. touring cars - all the stuff that stresses an AF system - and the AF has not missed a beat.

So that's some first-hand experience for you, right there: apparently they can "make a reliable, consistent, AF, on their lenses for Canon".

Same story - over a shorter period (but still over a year of hard use) - for my 70-200mm f/2.8 OS.

Siggy users aren't idiots, nor or they inherently easily pleased: we use the lenses because they're bloody good at everything they need to be good at.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 06:18:18 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 08:25:48 AM »
but very much like what you do with the wildlife. This lens appeals to me.

Very kind, and I'm as happy with the lens as I was when I bought it, nearly three years ago.

I shoot shoulder-to-shoulder with an ex pro, "Canon primes or nothing" guy - including the Canon 300mm f/2.8 - and we honestly can't see the difference in end-result between his images and mine, in terms of sharpness, CA, sharpness/light fall-off or anything else lens-specific.

Which pisses him off..!

;)

His lens probably focuses slightly faster I grant you, but not by anything like a significant amount.

Interesting - and your accounting for the 120-300's AF always being spot on makes for interesting contemplation when compared with the 35 and 50.

I wonder why that is? Is it the choice of lens that they choose to impersonate to the Canon, I wonder? Or something else?

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 08:50:07 AM »
is that they are not able to make a reliable, consistent, AF, on their lenses for Canon.

And yet I've been using my Siggy 120-300mm f/2.8 OS hard for nigh on three years, shooting birds, aircraft, fast bikes, moto-x. touring cars - all the stuff that stresses an AF system - and the AF has not missed a beat.

So that's some first-hand experience for you, right there: apparently they can "make a reliable, consistent, AF, on their lenses for Canon".

Same story - over a shorter period (but still over a year of hard use) - for my 70-200mm f/2.8 OS.

Siggy users aren't idiots, nor or they inherently easily pleased: we use the lenses because they're bloody good at everything they need to be good at.

+1
It seems that people generalize on Sigma lenses. Sure, there are people that bought Sigma lenses with AF problems. That does not mean that everybody has problems. I use a 50Art and it is spot on. It is obvious that on Internet you read more complaints rather than praises. Not saying I ignore the problems that others have - not at all - , but statements should be more balanced.
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  24-105L  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

www.thornmillimages.com

exactopposite

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 10:12:03 AM »
Sigma don't have any problem with manufacturing sharp lenses, their problem - and in my opinion, it's a huge one - is that they are not able to make a reliable, consistent, AF, on their lenses for Canon.

I have taken at least 5000 shots with a Sigma 30mm 1.4 (not the new ART one) and just as many with a Sigma17-50 2.8 and I have never had any problems with them at all.  I now use them for shooting events and they both work perfectly well on my 7d. The next lens I plan on purchasing is the Sigma 50-150.

I have never had any AF problems with my sigma lenses. I do street photography, weddings, portraits etc and in all those varying conditions they have served me well.

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 10:32:30 AM »

+1
It seems that people generalize on Sigma lenses. Sure, there are people that bought Sigma lenses with AF problems. That does not mean that everybody has problems. I use a 50Art and it is spot on. It is obvious that on Internet you read more complaints rather than praises. Not saying I ignore the problems that others have - not at all - , but statements should be more balanced.

I covet my Sigma 20mm f/1.8 - a unique lens. This shot couldn't have been taken otherwise (it's on the limit of everything).
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, S90 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

DominoDude

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 12:56:31 PM »
I said that it was "in my opinion". And I base my opinion on my own Sigma lens, and on the statements that I've seen from a number of other users/owners of Sigma lenses.
I'm not saying anything about other owners and users of their gear. If anyone has good Sigma gear, then that's fine, and I'm happy for them!

The one lens that I have, has been tested on a number of different bodies; both crop and FF, privately and in shops by technicians. It has never nailed focus consistently, no matter how much AFMA has been done to it.
When shipped to Sigma it was returned with a simple note "within spec's", without any clarification of what tests/adjustments had been made to it. You are free to guess how well it performs for me after that trip to Sigma...
Yesterday I tried to toss an egg on someone against the wind. Today the yolk's on me.

Steve

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 12:58:39 PM »

For sure.  I've used a Sig 70-200 f2.8 HSM for tons of basketball and hockey with zero AF problems and my new (to me) 300-800 is tack sharp with no AFMA required.  It also hasn't missed a shot due to AF yet.  All of this AF reliability talk is overblown FUD passed around by the same handful of sources on camera forums and review sites, Bryan from TDP being the worst.  His reviews and lens comparison tools are usually great but that guy is either the unluckiest camera enthusiast on the net or he has an axe to grind because every review he does of a Sigma lens starts off with him talking about having to return half a dozen copies before finding one that works and that no matter what the AF is always bad, which flies in the face of every other review on the net, my own experience and that of IRL friends of mine. 

There's probably also a lot of confirmation bias out there, too.  People have been told that Sigma AF is unreliable so they are more aware of it when it fails and immediately chalk it up to poor engineering while ignoring similar failures in first party glass.  As an anecdotal example, I was using my Canon 300mm f2.8 to shoot tight portraits at a basketball game and the focus would constantly miss the eyes, inconsistently front and back focusing.  This wasn't a problem with the lens; the conditions were just very difficult - thin DOF, low light, moving subject.  No one would fault poor engineering for the AF failing because it is Canon but if that were a Sigma lens in the same situation you can bet the blame would fall on the manufacturer.  There are plenty of Canon (and Nikon) lenses that have reputations for slow/inconsistent AF but it doesn't tarnish the whole company's product line because people are willing to be more reasonable with a certain amount of failures.  I mean, hell, the 1DIII, their flagship pro camera body, was a spectacular failure on the AF front and yet Canon survived that debacle pretty much unscathed.

Sigma has been making some fantastic lenses in the last several years.  I think that makes some people upset and they would really like for there to be some major downside to buying a third party lens, especially when some of them are optically superior to whats available from the OEM.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 12:58:39 PM »