August 27, 2015, 06:37:33 PM

Author Topic: Are These The EOS 7D Mark II Specifications?  (Read 129308 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • EOL
    • Nature Photography
Re: Are These The EOS 7D Mark II Specifications?
« Reply #840 on: September 02, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »
To add about 500nm vs 14 nm, I have read elsewhere (an article on Intel processors), that anything beyond 65nm is extremely difficult to produce and the yield is about 70% (which means 30% scrap in production, which in turn means very costly production, imagine if Canon had to scrap 30% of their sensors). The main obstacles are due to van der Waals forces - the force necessary to break the particle is larger than the force to clean it from a contamination for example (i.e. it is easier to break it than to clean it) and also the lytography is made with ultra-violet light and not with normal light, because the wave-length of the white light is comparable with the geometry of the particle at 14nm. The conclusion was that the efforts and costs to go down from 150nm to 90nm to 65nm to 25nm etc. is not a linear but geometrical progression and only 2-3 companies in the world can produce technology at 14nm. For example Intel is the only producer of processors at 14nm, their competitors are far behind.

I totally agree that the costs of doing photolithography at EUV or smaller wavelengths (or sub-wavelengths, as I believe is pretty much the case these days) does get considerably more expensive.

I don't think that 14nm transistors bring any value for sensors either. Even for the really tiny sensors with 1.1 micron pixels, I don't think that 14nm transistors bring any real value. Since all the logic is on the opposite side of the photodiodes...there is still enough space. For larger sensors, FSI or BSI, I don't think ultra tiny transistors are necessary. They are required for CPUs and GPUs and other logic circuits because of the need to pack ever more transistors, memory cells, and wiring into smaller and smaller spaces.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #840 on: September 02, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #841 on: September 03, 2014, 02:14:02 PM »
CR still not clarified what electronic MF means, is it manual focus or micro focus adjustment?

I can clarify...

It refers to manual focus.  People would love an automated AFMA like FoCal provides, IIRC Canon had a patent of that sort, but who knows if it'll ever see the light of day given that Canon sort of recommends against doing AFMA in their manual, possibly becuase of the implication that it corrects a 'problem'. 

In this case, "Lens Electronic MF" is merely a setting that allows you to enable or disable the electronic manual focus of lenses which utilize electronic MF (aka focus-by-wire) – the 85L I and II, some of the old non-IS supertele lenses, a couple of others with USM, and I suppose the new STM lenses as well.  I'm not even sure why CR Guy called it out with a bullet point.  It's a 'feature' that both the 5DIII and 1D X have, as well.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Gantz

« Reply #842 on: September 04, 2014, 04:30:14 AM »
Beside all the Tech talk you people seem to love so much.
When was the last time a Canon camera impressed you?

The 1DX for me.

Nikon and Sony, with all their faults, have released cameras that impressed me one way or the other.

You can laught at Nikon for the DF.
But at least this Company is taking risks.

They may make mistakes sure, but i would rather see Canon risk something and make mistakes than their boring and unimaginative updates.

Now sure some smartypants here will ask why i don´t switch.
The usual dopey response to critizism here.  ::)

Two reasons:

1) i still have hope for Canon to be innovativ again.

2) i am not a Pro but i have too much Canon gear. I can´t afford to sell it all.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:32:39 AM by Gantz »

Old Sarge

• EOS M2
« Reply #843 on: September 04, 2014, 07:44:56 AM »
Nikon and Sony, with all their faults, have released cameras that impressed me one way or the other.

You can laugh at Nikon for the DF.

I didn't laugh at the DF.  It reminded me of my youth, much of it spent working in a camera store.  Too bad it wasn't a better camera.  If canon did something retro like that I might be tempted to buy it.  Last night my wife was watching a Hallmark movie and I swear that camera appeared in one scene. 
The Old Sarge

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #844 on: September 04, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »

Yes, but they didn't impress you enough to entice you to actually but them. 

You can laught at Nikon for the DF.

Many more risks like that, Nikon's stock will drop even further than it has recently.  Oh, and a "pure photography" camera with a non-changeable focus screen that is no good for manual focus with fast lenses?  Yeah, that's innovation…
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:56:05 AM by neuroanatomist »

Gantz

« Reply #845 on: September 04, 2014, 09:04:29 AM »

Yes, but they didn't impress you enough to entice you to actually but them. 

Right. Because i already have a ton of Canon gear collected.
And this is not about switching brands.

You may lose the love for your wife when you are getting older but you won´t divorce when you are 60 or 70 years old.

Many more risks like that, Nikon's stock will drop even further than it has recently. 

Oh please... you sound like a broken record.  ;D
Are you at least Canon shareholder so it makes sense to repeat this a thousand times?

I don´t care how much money Canon makes!!
I don´t buy a VW only because they sell more cars than Porsche.

And even the years when Porsche was in financial trouble they made great cars.

Canon makes a profit so all users have to be happy with Canons decisions.
It´s not as simple as that.

And no, i don´t have to switch because i have something to critizise.
Just as you don´t have to divorce when you have an argument with your wife.
You divorce when the relationship is totaly ruined.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:22:51 AM by Gantz »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #846 on: September 04, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »

I keep saying it because people continue failing to grasp the relevant concept.  Canon is not in business to make products that please you.  Canon is not in the business of creating innovations based on your criteria for what that means.

So when people wine on the Internet, "Why isn't Canon innovating?," "Why hasn't Canon made product X, Y, or Z?," that's the answer.  If you're not happy about it, there are other brands out there.  If you are unwilling to switch, well… Canon already has your money, and odds are they'll get more of it in the future.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #846 on: September 04, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »

Gantz

« Reply #847 on: September 04, 2014, 09:30:36 AM »

I keep saying it because people continue failing to grasp the relevant concept.  Canon is not in business to make products that please you.  Canon is not in the business of creating innovations based on your criteria for what that means.

People complaint for years about Nokia, im sure some Nokia fans had the same arguments.  :)

Or we could say you don´t grasp that i, as customer, don´t have to care about Canons profit. Nor do i have to defend their product strategy.

Of course i want what´s best for me.
Im not a Fanboy who fights for his brand all day, i am only a customer who says what he thinks.

And i sure don´t stop saying it only because the marketing from Canons thinks i am the minority (Nokia made that mistake too).

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:33:05 AM by Gantz »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #848 on: September 04, 2014, 09:38:02 AM »
Or we could say you don´t grasp that i, as customer, don´t have to care about Canons profit. Nor do i have to defend their product strategy.

I understand that perfectly.  I'm a customer too, I have wants and needs, some of which are meant by Canon and others of which are not. 

The difference is that I can see the situation from points of you other than my own personal one. It seems a lot of people have difficulty doing that.

You keep bringing up divorce, are you bitter about something?   ::)

Gantz

« Reply #849 on: September 04, 2014, 09:47:18 AM »

I understand that perfectly.  I'm a customer too, I have wants and needs, some of which are meant by Canon and others of which are not. 

The difference is that I can see the situation from points of you other than my own personal one. It seems a lot of people have difficulty doing that.

You keep bringing up divorce, are you bitter about something?   ::)

Im not even married, don´t worry.  8)
Why are you interested, you need a lawyer?

And i see both points, believe me. You are less unique than you think. :)
But as im not a Fanboy i don´t have to defend the side im not on. :)

I can be completely biased.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:49:28 AM by Gantz »

PJSOFT

• SX60 HS
« Reply #850 on: September 07, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
I'm not even sure why CR Guy called it out with a bullet point.  It's a 'feature' that both the 5DIII and 1D X have, as well.

To my understanding, this is an improvement from the old 7D. If that's correct, then it's interesting enough I guess.

East Wind Photography

• 1D X
  • EWP
« Reply #851 on: September 07, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »
CR still not clarified what electronic MF means, is it manual focus or micro focus adjustment?

I can clarify...

It refers to manual focus.  People would love an automated AFMA like FoCal provides, IIRC Canon had a patent of that sort, but who knows if it'll ever see the light of day given that Canon sort of recommends against doing AFMA in their manual, possibly becuase of the implication that it corrects a 'problem'. 

In this case, "Lens Electronic MF" is merely a setting that allows you to enable or disable the electronic manual focus of lenses which utilize electronic MF (aka focus-by-wire) – the 85L I and II, some of the old non-IS supertele lenses, a couple of others with USM, and I suppose the new STM lenses as well.  I'm not even sure why CR Guy called it out with a bullet point.  It's a 'feature' that both the 5DIII and 1D X have, as well.

Seeing that they are likely trying suit something here for video users, is it possible they are adding a mode by which you can manually adjust focus by way of a couple of buttons or perhaps even a fw trap focus option?  I.e. Focus between 10' and 20' over a span of 20 seconds?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #852 on: September 07, 2014, 10:04:19 AM »

I can clarify...

Seeing that they are likely trying suit something here for video users, is it possible they are adding a mode by which you can manually adjust focus by way of a couple of buttons or perhaps even a fw trap focus option?  I.e. Focus between 10' and 20' over a span of 20 seconds?

Those features would be nice and useful for some, and might be in there, but assuming the rumor is correct, this isn't those.  The feature name "lens electronic MF" is already in use, Canon would keep naming consistent.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #852 on: September 07, 2014, 10:04:19 AM »

vscd

• Canon 70D
  • 5DC
« Reply #853 on: September 08, 2014, 07:55:18 AM »
For me it would be more interesting to fix some annoying bugs on all those new cameras, instead of inventing some (often useless) new functions.

For example, why do we have a 30 seconds limit on the bulb-mode? There is no reason for this, but it's a pain in the ass in the field while taking longexposureshots. Why don't we get the fancy A-DEP Mode back? What's with the eye-controlled AF? Worked great in the EOS-5.

Why is there no small light on the bayonett for nighttime-lenschange (and no on the buttons eighter, but there are some cams with it like the D4S).

Why is there no stacking modus with all those lenses? STM would be perfect for it. This list could go on and on. Sometimes if i grab an old camera like a Contax or a Zenza, I find features I miss after a while.
5DC, 24-85, 85 1.2L II, 80-200 2.8L, 100 2.8L IS, 14 2.8, 35 1.4, 75-300 IS, 40STM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #853 on: September 08, 2014, 07:55:18 AM »