May 27, 2018, 08:06:33 AM

Author Topic: Update on the EOS 7D Mark II Spec List  (Read 42244 times)

Joe M

• EOS M5
Re: Update on the EOS 7D Mark II Spec List
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 10:07:48 AM »
Ah.  These seem a little more sensible.  I wonder if RT control in-camera is even possible and if so, maybe they'll hold it off until the next 5D.  I guess that would cut into sales of the transmitter though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 10:07:48 AM »

LuCoOc

• EOS M5
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 10:24:12 AM »
Hello,
first of all, I take my Pictures with 5D MKII and MK III and owner of 7 L-lenses. During the last 2 years I did an update of my Equipment for more than 15.000 € now. Two years ago I considered to change to Nikon due to the innovations they presented with e.g. D800 or D800E especially the high resolution of the sensors. This based on the fact that I sell my pictures as prints and build up a Business with stock photos. Aside the Picture itself the technical data and expected resolutions continuously rising. At that time I thought Canon will follow Nikon and Sony and also be more innovativ.

Today I´m angry about my decision. The reasons are:
- No high resolution sensors with a quality like Nikon
- Arrogance of Canon in their behaviour with their Clients
- Price policy for new II-lenses

The high resolution and the quality of Nikon and Sony shows that this is not a game and that
high resolutions doesn´t mean low quality at low light Images.

Fact is that I will check again how much I will get for my current Canon Equipment and than I will decide if
to switchover to Nikon

regards
Juergen

H and G.

Could not have said it better (or shorter).

I am 100% sure the 7D will be an impressive camera. Probably like the 5D III an outstanding all arounder just with a crop sensor. Everyone who expects a sensor revolution with results better or only even close to current Canon FF-cameras will be disappointed.
Just as the current 7D this will be the only camera serious amateurs with a need for speed want. Everyone who needs top of the line IQ will get the 6D and those with deep pockets will reach for the 5D line.
7D - BG
3 Ls - 2 EF - 2 EF-s - 2 M42s
430EX II - YN560-III

mjbehnke

• EOS M5
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 10:28:17 AM »
Hello,
first of all, I take my Pictures with 5D MKII and MK III and owner of 7 L-lenses. During the last 2 years I did an update of my Equipment for more than 15.000 € now. Two years ago I considered to change to Nikon due to the innovations they presented with e.g. D800 or D800E especially the high resolution of the sensors. This based on the fact that I sell my pictures as prints and build up a Business with stock photos. Aside the Picture itself the technical data and expected resolutions continuously rising. At that time I thought Canon will follow Nikon and Sony and also be more innovativ.

Today I´m angry about my decision. The reasons are:
- No high resolution sensors with a quality like Nikon
- Arrogance of Canon in their behaviour with their Clients
- Price policy for new II-lenses

The high resolution and the quality of Nikon and Sony shows that this is not a game and that
high resolutions doesn´t mean low quality at low light Images.

Fact is that I will check again how much I will get for my current Canon Equipment and than I will decide if
to switchover to Nikon

regards
Juergen

And at the same time, a Nikon\Sony user is selling their stuff so they can come to Canon.
Canon. Just Canon

jseibertz

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 10:32:55 AM »
Think you are right mj, but that´s the game.
In Germany a lot of professional photographers Change to Sony

East Wind Photography

• EOS 5DS R
  • EWP
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 10:44:51 AM »
I really have a good chuckle at everyone ready to jump ship to Nikon over rumors and lack of innovation.  I for one just want a camera that works until I choose to upgrade and that is why I chose Canon.

I know many other professionals that have gone with Nikon and switched to Canon because their equipment had become unreliable and those failures cost them big $$$...and I'm not talking about the gear.

There is a cost to pushing the envelope constantly.  Canon strives to produce quality gear that wont fail when you need it most.  Sure occasionally there are issues, but I hear far less griping from the Canon pros than I do from the Nikon pros.  This is apparent due to Canon's lead in the market share.

Regardless of the sensor, the 7D2 will be a much improved model and from a reliability standpoint there is no comparison between Canon and Nikon.

Clyde2014

• Canonflex
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 10:47:44 AM »
Funny , all this fuss about a consumer camera . Dreamers discuss specs on plastic consumer cameras like the 7d, Real photographers just buy the pro body , ie. the Canon 1dx . Nuff said

Lee Jay

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 11:02:30 AM »
Funny , all this fuss about a consumer camera . Dreamers discuss specs on plastic consumer cameras like the 7d, Real photographers just buy the pro body , ie. the Canon 1dx . Nuff said

What a dumb thing to say.

The 7D and the 1D series have about the same ratio of plastic to metal (it's pretty high, actually).

I know lots of pros who will not use the 1D series because of the idiotic built-in grip.

The 7D will crush the 1Dx when it comes to focal length or magnification limited situations.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 11:02:30 AM »

moreorless

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
I'd argue that with a camera like this matching Nikon's pixel count at doesn't matter as much simply because its pixel density that's likely key for a lot of users, 20 MP at a 1.6 crop factor is pretty similar to 24 MP at a 1.5 crop factor.

Some new kind of sensor never seemed likely to me, especially given that multi layer sensors have traditionally had poor higher ISO performance.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 11:17:52 AM »
In Germany a lot of professional photographers Change to Sony

In Podunk, Michigan a lot of professional photographers have switched to watercolors and canvas.  I expect that'll have about the same impact on Canon's market share.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

aclectasis

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 11:24:04 AM »
CR: "Hey, you know every slightly odd thing we said about 7DII? We are going to say the opposite now. If we're wrong, we're right"

-Kings of making a living getting webpage hits
5d iii, 1d iii, 1d ii, 24-105 4 is, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 35 2.0 is, 70-200 4, 100 2.8, 40 2.8

crashpc

• EOS 80D
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 11:58:31 AM »
CR: "Hey, you know every slightly odd thing we said about 7DII? We are going to say the opposite now. If we're wrong, we're right"

-Kings of making a living getting webpage hits

Lol yes. CR totally looses it today :-)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 12:01:10 PM »
What I find interesting is having an RT  flash trigger and not having WiFi. They both use the same band and if the antenna works for one, it works for the other.....  It just seems wrong to me.....

But the update says it won't have RT flash trigger.
Sorry, I was typing on a phone and lost the last sentence.... Which was "with the revised specs, not having either makes more sense"
The best camera is the one in your hands

Canon1

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 01:33:44 PM »
but this is the one piece that really matters.

Nope.

I'd be as happy as a clam to have this camera built round the 70D's sensor (which despite all the general whining about "crappy" Canon sensors, produces excellent quality files for this wildlife/sport photographer - exactly the target audience for the new camera).

This wildlife photographer has a lower tolerance for shadow noise and low detail at high ISO. I primarily shoot in low light at the bookends of the day. I'm rarely below ISO 1000, which is why I have only been shooting full frame cameras. It would be great to have the specs listed here paired with a great high ISO crop sensor. The 70d is a fine camera (and sensor) but really only shines in good light.... Of which I rarely find myself in. ;-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 01:33:44 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »
•The camera has iTR (metering sensor-assisted servo tracking) just like the EOS-1D X
•The camera should be compatible with f/8 lenses at the center, and maybe more points.

All right!!!  ;D

Alrighty. Those are some good specs. I'll be really happy if Canon pushes the nicer metering system of the 1D X down the line. It's about time we all got access to that full RGB high res metering and tracking system.

MichaelHodges

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 02:30:20 PM »
This wildlife photographer has a lower tolerance for shadow noise and low detail at high ISO. I primarily shoot in low light at the bookends of the day. I'm rarely below ISO 1000, which is why I have only been shooting full frame cameras. It would be great to have the specs listed here paired with a great high ISO crop sensor. The 70d is a fine camera (and sensor) but really only shines in good light.... Of which I rarely find myself in. ;-)

I do like my 70D, and it's a big jump up from the 7D in IQ. But your point stands.  For crepuscular shooting, there's no point in using APS-C.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 02:30:20 PM »