November 21, 2014, 02:15:28 PM

Author Topic: Update on the EOS 7D Mark II Spec List  (Read 12688 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Update on the EOS 7D Mark II Spec List
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2014, 07:55:21 PM »
Right now no Canon camera meets my requirements, nor it does not like any will in the foreseeable future. It seems pretty clear that Canon do not understand the video needs of the users interested in imaging as opposed those only interested in taking stills or video.

Doesn't understand...or understands quite well but has decided potential buyers with your specific needs don't constitute a fraction of the market significant enough to be worth the expenditures to meet those needs.

I'd bet it's the latter...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2014, 07:55:21 PM »

DominoDude

• Canon 7D MK II
  • 3 out of 2 voices in my head says I have DID.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »
I hear that the boys over at Red is expecting a huge upswing of sales of the Epic Dragon. Must be that they are able to deliver all the video and stills capacity that is needed, and people don't even need to dump their L lenses. ;)
The doctor has diagnosed me with G.A.S. He said: Conflatulations!

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2014, 08:14:12 PM »
Right now no Canon camera meets my requirements, nor it does not like any will in the foreseeable future. It seems pretty clear that Canon do not understand the video needs of the users interested in imaging as opposed those only interested in taking stills or video.

Doesn't understand...or understands quite well but has decided potential buyers with your specific needs don't constitute a fraction of the market significant enough to be worth the expenditures to meet those needs.

I'd bet it's the latter...
There is a third possibility...

To do 4K right requires 4 times the computing power as 2K video. That makes a lot of heat and drains batteries fast... and there is a real possibility that the problems with dissipating the heat make it impractical in a DSLR body unless you add in heatsinks, and that is a negative to all those using it for stills. Obviously, a 1D-C has the thermal mass, battery capacity, and radiative surface to handle this, but does a smaller body?

BTW, a 1D-C at 4K 24fps writes data at 4GB per minute. That is a sustained rate of 67MB per second of Mpeg... not RAW... That's a lot of data in a hurry!

The best camera is the one in your hands

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2014, 08:43:31 PM »

To do 4K right requires 4 times the computing power as 2K video. That makes a lot of heat and drains batteries fast... and there is a real possibility that the problems with dissipating the heat make it impractical in a DSLR body unless you add in heatsinks, and that is a negative to all those using it for stills. Obviously, a 1D-C has the thermal mass, battery capacity, and radiative surface to handle this, but does a smaller body?

Does the Panasonic GH4 not do 4K right?  It certainly doesn't have a large thermal mass or space for big heat sinks inside. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »
So basically we have no clue whatsoever.

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »

Does the Panasonic GH4 not do 4K right?  It certainly doesn't have a large thermal mass or space for big heat sinks inside.
Good point, but what does it use to process the video.... discrete hardware or software? I wonder how much heat the digic chips on a Canon make running that hard.....

Even a GoPro will shoot 4K at 15fps and not overheat, but they definitely use dedicated hardware.

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
So basically we have no clue whatsoever.
BINGO! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2014, 08:50:20 PM »
We won't know anything until it gets... here's my point
From CanonWatch.com today.....

"Another email from a good source. The rumor contradicts parts of the latest supposed spec list that surfaced a few days ago.

That’s what I have been told:

the EOS 7D replacement will feature a 24MP sensor (no mention if it is a new sensor tech, or not)
a new generation of Dual Pixel CMOS AF is implemented thru the sensor and via the increased CPU power of the EOS 7D replacement
the auto-focus system of the EOS 5D Mark III will be on board
GPS and WiFi will be on board
still not sure if it will be named “EOS 7D Mark II”
Thanks to the source, please send in more information if you can!"
+1

The "confirmed" rumours say that it will have:
a 20.2Mp sensor and a 24Mp sensor that is somehow both new technology and the same as the 70D
It will have WiFi and it wont
It will have GPS and it wont
It will have an RT controller and it wont
It will be 10 or 12 FPS
It will have a built in flash and it wont
It will have a CF slot, a dual CF slot, and a mixed CD and SD slot (That's a lot of cards!)
It will have a fixed screen and an articulated screen
It will have a touchscreen and it will not
It will have 65 AF points, 45 AF points, and 19 AF points
It will have a 1DX top plate and it will not

and last but not least, it will be called the 7D2, the 7DX, or something else entirely....

Way to go nailing down those specifications!

yeah +1

I think sources have been shut down. You used to be able to get something useful.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2014, 08:52:34 PM »

Good point, but what does it use to process the video.... discrete hardware or software? I wonder how much heat the digic chips on a Canon make running that hard.....

Even a GoPro will shoot 4K at 15fps and not overheat, but they definitely use dedicated hardware.

They do and if they can, so can anyone else.

Stu_bert

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »
In Germany a lot of professional photographers Change to Sony

In Podunk, Michigan a lot of professional photographers have switched to watercolors and canvas.  I expect that'll have about the same impact on Canon's market share.

ROFLMAO  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

Stu_bert

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2014, 09:02:02 PM »
I hear that the boys over at Red is expecting a huge upswing of sales of the Epic Dragon. Must be that they are able to deliver all the video and stills capacity that is needed, and people don't even need to dump their L lenses. ;)

If you have a spare 20K to spare....  :D
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

Stu_bert

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »

GH4 has a smaller sensor IIRC....
Gigabyte switches do not consume 4x more power than a 100Mb switch I believe.
Each generation of Intel chip does more with less power.

I'm not sure therefore that the 4x increase in data bandwidth equates to significantly more power, but I might be wrong  :D

Stu_bert

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2014, 09:13:19 PM »
Keith at Northlight seems to have got confirmation from a source that the specs are "pretty solid"....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2014, 09:13:19 PM »

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »
Keith at Northlight seems to have got confirmation from a source that the specs are "pretty solid"....
Northlight is famous for poor guesses.... they have been saying it is about to come out for two years, and after the 70D was released, they had solid rumours for the 7D2 that were lower speced than the 70D... Northlight isn't even worth reading for a laugh....

Khufu

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Drew K Forrest Art & Photography FB
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2014, 10:07:50 PM »
We won't know anything until it gets... here's my point
From CanonWatch.com today.....

"Another email from a good source. The rumor contradicts parts of the latest supposed spec list that surfaced a few days ago.

That’s what I have been told:

the EOS 7D replacement will feature a 24MP sensor (no mention if it is a new sensor tech, or not)
a new generation of Dual Pixel CMOS AF is implemented thru the sensor and via the increased CPU power of the EOS 7D replacement
the auto-focus system of the EOS 5D Mark III will be on board
GPS and WiFi will be on board
still not sure if it will be named “EOS 7D Mark II”
Thanks to the source, please send in more information if you can!"
+1

The "confirmed" rumours say that it will have:
a 20.2Mp sensor and a 24Mp sensor that is somehow both new technology and the same as the 70D
It will have WiFi and it wont
It will have GPS and it wont
It will have an RT controller and it wont
It will be 10 or 12 FPS
It will have a built in flash and it wont
It will have a CF slot, a dual CF slot, and a mixed CD and SD slot (That's a lot of cards!)
It will have a fixed screen and an articulated screen
It will have a touchscreen and it will not
It will have 65 AF points, 45 AF points, and 19 AF points
It will have a 1DX top plate and it will not

and last but not least, it will be called the 7D2, the 7DX, or something else entirely....

Way to go nailing down those specifications!

It is fun doing the speculations.  ;D
I didn't know there were two versions of 70D, one with Wifi and the other without.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/280/28070D135_DL.PDF
Maybe 7DII will have two versions too and that maybe the source of some confusions.

The 7DX(w) will not have WiFi. There will also be a 7DX(n) for regions where WiFi would result in legal complications; this model will also not have WiFi but for different reasons.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:09:46 PM by Khufu »
5D3 // 70D // EOS M & SL1 // Sigma 24/1.8 & 50/1.4 // Canon EF 400/5.6L & 100/2 // Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 // SONY HDR FX1000 // Canon XM2 & HV20 // Zoom H1 // Paints, Pens & Pencils!... USA Strat, Mexican Tele, Warwick Thumb 5 ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2014, 10:07:50 PM »