October 24, 2014, 07:25:22 AM

Author Topic: Nikon D8XX Thermal Issues Not New. What Does It Mean?  (Read 1800 times)

JusSayin

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Nikon D8XX Thermal Issues Not New. What Does It Mean?
« on: August 23, 2014, 11:39:21 AM »
Nikon D800E thermal issues chronicled here: http://scottreither.com/blogwp/2012/07/01/nikon-d800-e-long-exposure-issues-problems-2/
and here: http://www.trichardsen.com/blog/nikon-d810-and-why-i-am-returning-it
and here: http://photosofarkansas.com/2013/08/02/d800-reticulation-issues-during-night-photography-white-dot-problems/

If the sensor in the D810 is physically (without anti-alias filter) the same as the D800/D800E, differing in the pipeline firmware/software; or - if the sensor in the D810 is physically different from the D800 series yet every D8XX has thermal issues, what are we to learn from all this?   

canon rumors FORUM

Nikon D8XX Thermal Issues Not New. What Does It Mean?
« on: August 23, 2014, 11:39:21 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon D8XX Thermal Issues Not New. What Does It Mean?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »
...what are we to learn from all this?

That people who want to take pictures of 'ghosts' should upgrade from the Fuji X10 to the Nikon D8x0?  The 'white orbs' will be smaller, but the extra DR will more than make up for that.

;D
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 03:04:28 PM »
haven't seen a camera yet that didn't have, or eventually develop, some hot pixels.
That's what dark frame subtraction's for, even the in-camera process is usable for most shots.

At least SOME mfrs, NOT Canon, NOT Nikon, allow you to map out bad pixels right from the camera menu.

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 03:57:47 PM »
haven't seen a camera yet that didn't have, or eventually develop, some hot pixels.
That's what dark frame subtraction's for, even the in-camera process is usable for most shots.

At least SOME mfrs, NOT Canon, NOT Nikon, allow you to map out bad pixels right from the camera menu.

Not true, doing a 'sensor clean' with the cap on for a minute or so allows the camera to remap the sensor, and gone are all the hot pixels  8)
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

DominoDude

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:19:59 PM »

Not true, doing a 'sensor clean' with the cap on for a minute or so allows the camera to remap the sensor, and gone are all the hot pixels  8)

That is indeed a great and easy way to do it! Did that last winter - it was so easy I thought someone was just trying to pull our legs with that tip.
To have an opinion is easy. To have a reputation is much harder; at least if you want a good one.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 01:54:06 AM »

That is indeed a great and easy way to do it! Did that last winter - it was so easy I thought someone was just trying to pull our legs with that tip.
It's not as official as an actual menu-item so can someone describe the method in more detail and I'll test it out.
I have a Rebel that developed a bunch of hot pixels as I was shooting studio shots with it over a matter of minutes.  So I can test that out.

jakeymate

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 04:22:13 AM »
That people who want to take pictures of 'ghosts' should upgrade from the Fuji X10 to the Nikon D8x0?  The 'white orbs' will be smaller, but the extra DR will more than make up for that.

;D

I love it when people make the same joke again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and ...

Lol, you so funny!

How do you do the same joke so many times and it still be funny?

You're a comedy genius John.

Kudos.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 04:56:03 AM by jakeymate »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 04:22:13 AM »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 05:33:46 AM »

It's not as official as an actual menu-item so can someone describe the method in more detail and I'll test it out.
I have a Rebel that developed a bunch of hot pixels as I was shooting studio shots with it over a matter of minutes.  So I can test that out.

With the lenscap on the lens, go to the camera menu and select 'manual cleaning'. The mirror will flip up and the camera black out. Leave it for a minute, then switch off the camera to complete the 'cleaning'. You can do this with any lens on the camera, no need to use the body cap.
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

Keith_Reeder

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 09:08:47 AM »
I love it when people make the same joke again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and ...

And yet no comment about the broken records with their interminable DR whining? The good doctor will always be one post behind that lot.

I so look forward to your incisive, barbed wit being directed their way...

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »
"What does it mean"?

The D820 will be out before Christmas  ;)

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 04:01:40 AM »

With the lenscap on the lens, go to the camera menu and select 'manual cleaning'. The mirror will flip up and the camera black out. Leave it for a minute, then switch off the camera to complete the 'cleaning'. You can do this with any lens on the camera, no need to use the body cap.

Thanks.
Will do this when I have time and post before and after pix... 
Leaving the lens cap on seems like a funny thing to do...  My other mfr's cameras simply do this by keeping the shutters closed.  Not that it matters...

jakeymate

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 07:32:16 AM »
And yet no comment about the broken records with their interminable DR whining? The good doctor will always be one post behind that lot.

I so look forward to your incisive, barbed wit being directed their way...

You don't think sarcastic posts on here about the white pixels issue is clutching at straws?

My last Canon (number 6 of 6 that I owned in the digital age) had a light leak issue, and needed some electrical tape to fix it.

That was a pretty dumb issue for a camera to have, having the sensor able to see the light from the top LCD light.

And that camera had to go to Sydney due to Canon not having a service centre in Brisbane, so I lost it for 2 weeks.

The service centre near me took 10 mins to 'fix' my D810, less time than it takes to read most of the "good doctor's" rambling 'anti everything but Canon' posts.

That said, I tried really hard to reproduce the white pixel issue on mine but couldn't, so not sure why that is. It can't have affected all of them, even though mine was in the affected batch.

Cameras have issues. The 1DX had the lube issue, but who cares? The 1DMk3 was a disaster that was never really solved, and the D600 was a pretty major mess up.

They are complex pieces of machinery and it would be amazing if they arrived without any issues at the price they cost.

Even the cameras that have green read noise and low DR.

I jest, I jest, so don't bite.

Be happy with what you have.

I am ;)

psolberg

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 06:30:41 PM »
I don't know what it means but how is this a rumor?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 06:30:41 PM »