November 01, 2014, 06:37:16 AM

Author Topic: 6D MKII  (Read 12675 times)

jeffa4444

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
6D MKII
« on: August 23, 2014, 02:11:38 PM »
All the talk is of the impending 7D MKII and whether the 5D MKIII will be upgraded if the 7D MKII has new sensor tech.

Well here is my wish list for the 6D MKII its not long:-

Same ground glass set-up as 5D MKIII - the removable one now gets dirt behind it

Joystick like the 7D / 5D MKIII etc. - the joypad is slower to use

19 cross point AF points - useful for flying birds, cars, planes etc.

Tilting LCD screen - Like the type Olympus use which is great for high or low shots

Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

canon rumors FORUM

6D MKII
« on: August 23, 2014, 02:11:38 PM »

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
Re: 6D MKII
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 02:34:56 PM »

I'd settle for more AF points.  Then again, I'd consider a 5D Mark IV if it had in-body Wi-Fi and GPS, less banding, and a more sensitive center point.  Then again, what I'd really like is that plus DPAF.  :D

And a pony.

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »
Exactly the same camera with at least 70D phase AF, but retaining the interchangeable focus screens of the 6D.

Taking out the interchangeable focus screen would be a sure way to get me NOT to upgrade :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:47:35 PM by Ruined »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:08:54 PM »
I'll settle for any 6D II, don't care about the features as long as it allows me to buy the current 6D (which will suit me fine) for a lower price...
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

Khufu

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Drew K Forrest Art & Photography FB
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 10:13:56 PM »
I've seen the current incarnation of the 6D produce wonderful shots of flying cars...
5D3 // 70D // EOS M & SL1 // Sigma 24/1.8 & 50/1.4 // Canon EF 400/5.6L & 100/2 // Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 // SONY HDR FX1000 // Canon XM2 & HV20 // Zoom H1 // Paints, Pens & Pencils!... USA Strat, Mexican Tele, Warwick Thumb 5 ;)

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
I've seen the current incarnation of the 6D produce wonderful shots of flying cars...
Now we know that a 6D must have been what they used to shoot the flying car sequences in the Harry Potter movies.
The 6D's reputation is airborne..

-pw

crashpc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 03:32:17 AM »
I'll settle for any 6D II, don't care about the features as long as it allows me to buy the current 6D (which will suit me fine) for a lower price...
Same here. It could push me to jump on FF when they lower the price a bit.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 03:32:17 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 03:33:22 AM »
Well here is my wish list for the 6D MKII its not long:

Keep wishing, my guess is that the current 6d will stay around for quite a while like it is. The longer Canon sells it, the more profit they make after getting back their r&d money and I guess longer production also means lower production price. If anything, they'll lower the 6d1's price further instead of replacing it, the cheap construction means it's meant to be flexible for further discounts.

And the thing keeps selling and will continue to do so as it's essentially a good sensor in something build around it that doesn't matter too much. Unless there is a serious upgrade in sensor tech, imho Canon won't replace it. And if they do a leap in tech, they'll first put it into their flagship cameras (7d, 1d, 5d), so until it trickles down to the 6d it'll be quite a while.

The last possibility for pressure to upgrade 6d1->6d2 would be Nikon or Sony, but Canon has demonstrated that they don't really care about the competition's specs as long as they've got a similarly priced offer at all: Many people are tied to Canon by their gear or years of usability experience with this system.

fran

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 06:22:17 AM »
All the talk is of the impending 7D MKII and whether the 5D MKIII will be upgraded if the 7D MKII has new sensor tech.

19 cross point AF points - useful for flying birds, cars, planes etc.

A question I've been asking myself for a looong time now:

Where does someone who seemingly can't afford the 5DIII (which has probably all the AF capabilities you need) get any lens that is fast enough for sports and bird photography??

No offense, I am also a proud owner of the 6D - but as a hybrid photographer/videographer who refuses to use artificial lighting when nature provides a much more beautiful (be it more dim...) version, and plans on taking his camera up into the air in the near future, it was really all about low light capabilities, plus the light body came in handy. ;)

Knowing and loving MF, I never really use AF for stills, and even get used lenses with defect AF if it makes the price work.
I was really happy that Canon provided a remarkable sensor, and put it in a simple setup (even though I'd wish for the CF card speed - no ML Raw possible...).
I think there is hardly a way to upgrade the 6D without compromising it's concept (don't forget that every model has one): It's an "entry-level" full frame DSLR. They'd steal their own customers if they gave people more reasons to buy a 6D instead of a 5D... I kinda feel like the 6D is a "one time" offer for us to get a very good FF DSLR for a very reasonable price, no updates required (because they took it very close to the Prosumer level if you ask me).

Yet, updates may and very likely will come as time progresses and the sensor (which is really the pro part in this camera) gets outdated, which may happen within very few years now that everybody's heavily developing to keep up with certain revolutionary releases from other manufacturers... ;)
But for the time being, I think competing with exactly those revolutions is their greatest concern, and that's where the updates will be - they want to keep their C line seperated from their DSLRs (to justify their high-priced C line), but 4K is (soon going to be) everywhere, so there WILL be a 5D with 4K, a 7D with 4K (maybe not the 7DII) and so on. It's going to be the standard of tomorrow, even though many "pros" still cling to the muddy and blurry 1080p, trying to convince themselves that they're not behind on technology... ^^ I think producing a music video that can't hold up on a big screen is just sad... sorry, went off topic there.

Chisox2335

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 07:37:38 AM »

I'd settle for more AF points.  Then again, I'd consider a 5D Mark IV if it had in-body Wi-Fi and GPS, less banding, and a more sensitive center point.  Then again, what I'd really like is that plus DPAF.  :D

And a pony.

If I could send in my 6d and a check for 200-300 for canon to even put in the 70d's AF system I'd be very pleased.

Khufu

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Drew K Forrest Art & Photography FB
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »
For a while I had the 6D in mind as a "ASAP" investment to fill two niches; smaller & lighter walkabout/documentary camera (in that I love shooting nice pics of the people at the events and occasions I'm a part of, Birthday dinners, hikes with friends or groups, holidays and daytrips - more so than the architecture, people-less land/cityscapes etc)
But also as a second FF to accompany the 5D3 for "proper" event photography gigs...

For the first niche I'm pretty sure the a7 wins, hands down - to buy here in the UK on the grey market it's cheaper for an a7 than a 6D, making it the cheapest AND most compact current FF, with only a second hand 5D being a cheaper FF option - is this reflected elsewhere around Europe and Continental America?

The lame thing is the lack of affordable AF native lenses, with the more expensive, higher-spec-processing adapters still apparently being way slower than using a native EF on an EOS body...

It's like I really want to grab an a7 for so many reasons but they're still being muppets with the lenses... It would be awesome to shoot the EF 100/2 or the affordable, fast Sigmas with NO back/front focusing on a compact FF system... I'm waffling. I'm torn between the 6D and the a7. Anyone want to give me more reasons to doubt everything, ever? Or perhaps prompt Canon to make me a Compact System FF, DPAF, EVF with Focus Peaking wee treat of a camera that's ready to purchase for under £850 on the grey market within, say, 2 months?

Man, I'm turning into one of those whiny, demanding CR users - I should start raging and threaten to jump ship to Nikon...
5D3 // 70D // EOS M & SL1 // Sigma 24/1.8 & 50/1.4 // Canon EF 400/5.6L & 100/2 // Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 // SONY HDR FX1000 // Canon XM2 & HV20 // Zoom H1 // Paints, Pens & Pencils!... USA Strat, Mexican Tele, Warwick Thumb 5 ;)

Sith Zombie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Lightroom Images
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 10:25:48 AM »
I'm thinking we'll see a 6D mkii around fall next year. The original will be 3 years old then and thats 'around' the usual age that the prosumer models [xxD] get an update. The 5Dmkiii replaced the Mkii in around 3 and a half years [I think], so I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a 6D update slightly earlier than the 5D2 to 5D3 cycle.

I also think the update will be very modest but with a few careful tweaks, canon can build this camera to pull in the crowd that aren't quite convinced about the current 6D and even give current owners something to upgrade to.

Example:
All specs the same as current 6d except...
Sensor: 22mp dual pixel.
AF: 11 point, all cross type.
FPS: 5.5 fps.
Screen: adjustable touch screen.

Even if they don't improve actual sensor performance [the current 6d sensor is still amazing], a small mp bump or the inclusion of dual pixel technology will still be a nice step up.

How many people were put off by the fact the 6d has one cross type sensor?? Solve this by upgrading them all to cross type but by keeping the amount of points the same, it keeps the camera away from the 'need the best af 5dmk3, 5dmk4, 7dmk2 market' but still provides a huge upgrade to the current 6D.

A small increase in fps will be expected but it will still be one of the slowest shooters in the line up. [the 5dmk4 will probably be rocking around 7 fps] The key point is that you'll be getting 'near 5dmk3 speeds' for a fraction of the price.

Touch screen would be welcome by some, especially if the camera has a dual pixel sensor. This will improve live view af to no end. An adjustable screen would just be another nice feature that it would have over the original.

So for little effort Canon can make a great camera that won't encroach upon other models but is a worthwhile improvement on the original. I think this approach would work even if they didn't do much to update the sensor, as the biggest compliant about the original [af] has been addressed.

Chisox2335

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 11:30:11 AM »
For a while I had the 6D in mind as a "ASAP" investment to fill two niches; smaller & lighter walkabout/documentary camera (in that I love shooting nice pics of the people at the events and occasions I'm a part of, Birthday dinners, hikes with friends or groups, holidays and daytrips - more so than the architecture, people-less land/cityscapes etc)
But also as a second FF to accompany the 5D3 for "proper" event photography gigs...

For the first niche I'm pretty sure the a7 wins, hands down - to buy here in the UK on the grey market it's cheaper for an a7 than a 6D, making it the cheapest AND most compact current FF, with only a second hand 5D being a cheaper FF option - is this reflected elsewhere around Europe and Continental America?

The lame thing is the lack of affordable AF native lenses, with the more expensive, higher-spec-processing adapters still apparently being way slower than using a native EF on an EOS body...

It's like I really want to grab an a7 for so many reasons but they're still being muppets with the lenses... It would be awesome to shoot the EF 100/2 or the affordable, fast Sigmas with NO back/front focusing on a compact FF system... I'm waffling. I'm torn between the 6D and the a7. Anyone want to give me more reasons to doubt everything, ever? Or perhaps prompt Canon to make me a Compact System FF, DPAF, EVF with Focus Peaking wee treat of a camera that's ready to purchase for under £850 on the grey market within, say, 2 months?

Man, I'm turning into one of those whiny, demanding CR users - I should start raging and threaten to jump ship to Nikon...

You're already threatening to jump ship to sony.... ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 11:30:11 AM »

MLfan3

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 05:11:02 PM »
after selling all my D810 D800E stuff,I was about to buy a Sony A99v or another 6D, but decided to wait a few more weeks.
I love my 6D but I would prefer to get its successor if Canon is about to announce it.
I am also very curious about the a99v successor with the new A77ii type of super AF(I consider it the best AF in the game right now).

I hope the 6D mk2 gets feature set of below:
1 about 28mp ff sensor with one full stop better DR at base ISO.
2 a good EVF  maybe one in the A7R or better.
3 touch screen UI in addition to current UI mechanical UI of the 6D.
4 lighter than the 70D.
5 dual SD slots with new UHS-2 support.
6 better improved video with 4k at 60P support , headphone jack,etc.
7 ic voice recorder for interview works with clients.
8 -5 EV center AF sensitivity.

I think the A99v is the current best all around FF camera, but if there is its successor around the corner, I will wait for it.
I know some narrow minded people (mostly sports and wedding pros and old guys with some film experience) never accept anything other than Full sized huge cameras like D800 , 5D with mirror, and condescendingly tell others how unseriously you might be taken if you are not shooting on a huge D-SLR with the dated OVF tech, but any rational people see the OVF is quickly becoming a thing of the last century thing, I think after shooting a Sony A7R or A99 kind of cameras for a month or longer , there is no way going back to the film era finder system.
Further more , the PDAF is dated, it is not accurate enough for high resolution sensor, thus for high resolution work the A7R is the better camera than the over hyped flawed camera like the D810 /D800E with left AF and white dots thermal noise issue.
The CDAF with some kind of subject distance detection system is the future, and it is much more accurate than the best PDAF on mirror from Nikon , Canon or Pentax.
The CDAF system does not need AF fine tune or MAFA.
I think anyone just hate EVF and mirrorless AF should try out the A7s a month or even better the Panasonic GH4, the AF of the GH4 is much better than anything from Canon Nikon for almost everything, maybe except for sports.    The A7S and GH4 can AF  even in -4EV light level, the D810 and the 5D3 AF reliably in -1 EV light level, nothing close to the A7s. 

So if Canon wants to stay at the top in this game, Canon must invent some sort of new AF /EVF tech and needs to actually introduce it in a new body(very soon), not just patenting it or announcing development of new type of AF tech or sensor tech(but has to show it to us)

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »
Exactly the same camera with at least 70D phase AF, but retaining the interchangeable focus screens of the 6D.

Taking out the interchangeable focus screen would be a sure way to get me NOT to upgrade :)

I wish that more camera manufactuers offered interchangeable focus screens.  Most shooters don't need one, but for those who do, they really do.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »