November 21, 2014, 11:56:14 AM

Author Topic: Canon brand UV and Circ. Polarizing filters  (Read 3416 times)

Mitch.Conner

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Canon brand UV and Circ. Polarizing filters
« on: August 23, 2014, 05:32:39 PM »
I can't find a lot of information online about these so far.  I'm looking to get 2 77mm UV filters to protect my lenses and one circular polarizer.

The Canon brand filters are more expensive than the other filters I see in my catalogs.

Are they worth it?

canon rumors FORUM

Canon brand UV and Circ. Polarizing filters
« on: August 23, 2014, 05:32:39 PM »

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon brand UV and Circ. Polarizing filters
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 05:37:28 PM »
Go with B+W   ;)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:39:58 PM »
Get B+W.

The only Canon filter you should buy is the drop-in CPL for the supertele lenses.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 10:47:28 PM »
I bought a Canon UV filter several years ago for my 17-55mm lens.  I saw no issues, and used it for 3 or 4 years before selling it.  The filter did what I wanted, there was no dust in the lens even after all that time.

I've bought B+W or Helicon since then, but I seldom use them for most of my shots.

Mitch.Conner

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 12:13:06 AM »
So, Click and neuroanatomist, why do you recommend B+W over the Canon brand filters?

Mt Spokane Photography, why did you switch to non Canon brand?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against buying B+W or other brands, I'm just curious why the seeming recommendation to avoid Canon filters except when unavoidable.  Price?  Quality?  If you could elaborate I'd very much appreciate it.  Thanks.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 12:32:51 AM »
Canon filters used to be rebranded low-end filters OEM'd by Tiffen.  I don't think Canon makes their own today, but they may be better quality. 

B+W come out tops in testing, and they're a reputable brand.

timmy_650

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 01:58:58 AM »
I have an Older 77mm Canon Circle Polarizing filter and I like it. I got it at a second hand store for $15 and it is worth that but I looked once and it was like $200 but I don't think it is worth that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 01:58:58 AM »

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 02:51:18 AM »
I had the same question a while back.  This may help your decision.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=10215.msg183844#msg183844

What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »
Yikes, run!  Okay not really, but the one I got for free with a lens was a piece of crap.  The glass rotated inside the frame, it was hard to clean, and was a flare magnet.  Save your money for B+W or Hoya's top couple of lines.

Mitch.Conner

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 05:13:15 PM »
What is the difference between the various types of filters offered by B+W?  The XS-Pro vs the F-Pro.. etc.  I don't see on the Schneider Optics page a comparison of the details of each.  I found a thread online that claimed the F-Pro was made of brass whereas the XS-Pro wasn't, but according to Amazon et. al. the XS-Pro is indeed made of brass.

I ask because between this thread, and this thread, I've gotten recommendations to go down the B+W route for filters.  I'm just confused though between their F-Pro, and XS-Pro filters, and any other types.  Did I miss on the Schneider Optics site where they explain the differences?

I've learned through these two threads that I should pass on UV filters and just get coated clear filters for protection.  I'll also be getting a polarizer that I can use hopefully on both the 24-105 and the 70-200 given that they both take 77mm.  I'm unsure though if that will work since the 24-105 goes down below 35mm and I've heard that below 35mm FL, you need a thin polarizer (or alternatively you shouldn't use one at all).

Any help will be appreciated.  I'm going to post this on the other thread too since I've inadvertently scattered my questions across 2 threads.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »
What is the difference between the various types of filters offered by B+W? 

https://www.schneideroptics.com/info/faq/bw.htm#qu26

Mitch.Conner

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »
Thank you!  I couldn't for the life of me find that!   :)

It was driving me nuts.

Mitch.Conner

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »
So thanks again for the link.  It seems to suggest that both the F-Pro and the XS-Pro work now down to 24mm without causing trouble?

Why does the F-Pro cause trouble for the 70-200 f/2.8 II IS?  I clearly have a lot to learn still.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 06:47:56 PM »
So thanks again for the link.  It seems to suggest that both the F-Pro and the XS-Pro work now down to 24mm without causing trouble?

Why does the F-Pro cause trouble for the 70-200 f/2.8 II IS?  I clearly have a lot to learn still.

Those focal lengths are guidelines, it really depends on the lens.  The 16-35/2.8 II @ 16mm f/2.8 can take an F-Pro with no extra vignetting.  The 35/1.4L can take three stacked F-Pro filters with no extra vignetting.  The 70-200 II has some extra vignetting with just one F-Pro – that one surprised me, I had one on there, someone on this forum reported it and I tested mine...and switched to XS-Pro.  In retrospect, the MkII versions of the other 'f/2.8 zoom holy trinity' (16-35/2.8L, 24-70/2.8L) both got major optical boosts with the MkII version, and a switch from 77mm to 82mm filters. The 70-200/2.8 IS got better IQ with the same 77mm filter, and I suspect Canon cut it close to the edge in terms of optical design.

Mitch.Conner

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »

Those focal lengths are guidelines, it really depends on the lens.  The 16-35/2.8 II @ 16mm f/2.8 can take an F-Pro with no extra vignetting.  The 35/1.4L can take three stacked F-Pro filters with no extra vignetting.  The 70-200 II has some extra vignetting with just one F-Pro – that one surprised me, I had one on there, someone on this forum reported it and I tested mine...and switched to XS-Pro.  In retrospect, the MkII versions of the other 'f/2.8 zoom holy trinity' (16-35/2.8L, 24-70/2.8L) both got major optical boosts with the MkII version, and a switch from 77mm to 82mm filters. The 70-200/2.8 IS got better IQ with the same 77mm filter, and I suspect Canon cut it close to the edge in terms of optical design.

So, does the same apply to a polarizing filter?  Should I be using an XS-Pro for the Circ. Polarizer on the 70-200?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »