May 26, 2018, 02:31:29 AM

Author Topic: I want a monopod, but I'm so cheap that Scrooge says to loosen the purse strings  (Read 19152 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
I like to finish my stories I start....

I took a suggestion from one of y'all and bought one off of ebay.  I got a Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 Monopod.

It has a fluid head, the fluid base and the feet and the flip locks... I paid a whopping 240 for it, but I had a video head for basically 90 bucks... So I'm feeling pretty good about it. 

Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

canon rumors FORUM

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK

So I've been losing every auction... que sera sera... but there are very few Sunsui (or whatever) available... so I will probably wind up with a Manfrotto... so I guess that's a plus.  I could have used it tonight... night shooting @ an amusement park, some long exposures... and an f/2.8 lens.  bleh.

Check the values that they actually sell for by looking at completed auctions.  Use that to set your bid price.

Then go to Auction sniper.  It will place your bid about 5 seconds before the auction ends.  This eliminates bidding wars and the urge to beat the other guy, which only runs up the price.  either you win, or you don't, but no one else even knows you exist to place a bid, it just happens a few seconds before a auction closes.

I've done this for years, and when I set a reasonable bid price, I win a fair percentage and only lose when there is a bidding war going on.

You can set Auction sniper to bid on multiple auctions and stop when you win one.

I don't sell it, but I use it.  They do charge a very small amount, but only if you win.

jdramirez

I've been looking for around two or there weeks and comparable ones sold for thirty-ish more.  So I didn't get a great deal, but I got a good deal. 

So I've been losing every auction... que sera sera... but there are very few Sunsui (or whatever) available... so I will probably wind up with a Manfrotto... so I guess that's a plus.  I could have used it tonight... night shooting @ an amusement park, some long exposures... and an f/2.8 lens.  bleh.

Check the values that they actually sell for by looking at completed auctions.  Use that to set your bid price.

Then go to Auction sniper.  It will place your bid about 5 seconds before the auction ends.  This eliminates bidding wars and the urge to beat the other guy, which only runs up the price.  either you win, or you don't, but no one else even knows you exist to place a bid, it just happens a few seconds before a auction closes.

I've done this for years, and when I set a reasonable bid price, I win a fair percentage and only lose when there is a bidding war going on.

You can set Auction sniper to bid on multiple auctions and stop when you win one.

I don't sell it, but I use it.  They do charge a very small amount, but only if you win.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

AcutancePhotography

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Then go to Auction sniper.

And that is what sucks about Ebay these days.

I don't even bid any more.  If it has a buy it now price and the price is reasonable to me, I buy it outright.

It used to be fun and effective to bid on Ebay, but these programs killed that.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

jdramirez

Then go to Auction sniper.

And that is what sucks about Ebay these days.

I don't even bid any more.  If it has a buy it now price and the price is reasonable to me, I buy it outright.

It used to be fun and effective to bid on Ebay, but these programs killed that.

It all depends on what you are willing to pay.  People used to hang out in front of their computers doing the same thing.... So it isn't that divergent, though people are willing to pay for the convenience.

canon rumors FORUM