October 22, 2014, 11:38:51 AM

Author Topic: Where and how do you keep all your gears?  (Read 5413 times)

gene_can_sing

Re: Where and how do you keep all your gears?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 09:53:06 AM »
I have 2 places for my "Good Gear" that I use a lot. The old crappy lenses and stuff I don't care about just sit in cupboard in the garage.

I am paranoid since I have had camera stuff stolen before on a filming trip in Peru.

1) I have a large Gun Safe (I don't own any guns), but this is where I keep my Large-ish LowePro backpack with all of the essential lenses the body for a shoot. I have a second small LowePro backpack that I keep in the safe to hold overflow. Both bags have a number of silica lyca gels inside to keep them dry. I always have my lenses face down because I have a UV filter on all the lenses and if I forget the cap, the UV filter is taking the hit, and not the rear element glass. Having everything in a backpack is nice because it's super organized and I can just grab it on the fly.

2) I have a locked closet (crappy lock though) where I keep all my grip gear -- stands, rigs, lights, etc..

I have everything about 1 foot off the ground in case of flooding. At least all the electronic stuff.

This reminds me, I need to re-insure my stuff. Very important as someone who has had stuff stolen.

Oh yes, I usually keep all my grip gear and lights in separate various bags, well organized. I have a ton of crap, but everything is inside about 7 bags so I can just quickly pack the bags in my car and be off.

I'm pretty messy and unorganized when it comes to life and my house. But with my camera gear, my film projects and computer files, I am super organized and methodical. You have to be or else you'll just lose stuff.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:51:54 AM by gene_can_sing »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 09:53:06 AM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 11:32:27 AM »
mine gets left all over!!  half seems to be on my desk right now...  maybe i should have a better system for storage!

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »
mine gets left all over!!  half seems to be on my desk right now...  maybe i should have a better system for storage!

I seem to operate the same system as you (i.e. none)! It's been fine for me so far; I hope I'm not tempting fate by stating that... Basically it just sits in my office in one of my bags until I decide to grab some of it to go out shooting, which involves some frantic packing (I'm not one of these people that makes sandwiches the night before).  Works OK until I forget to move something into the bag I'm taking; last time it was my filter holder adapter rings -annoying rather than disasterous. 

My overriding philosophy is that if you can't afford to replace it, you should either insure it or not buy it in the first place. 

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 05:11:58 PM »
I keep my lenses in a food container with desiccant AND a hygrometer inside at 35-50% humidity. 15$ solution.
Lid is not tight as the humidity drops below 25% then. I hope my gear will last until Canon releases the next affordable FF... What is the time span for mould developing inside a lens at 70% rel hum ?
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 06:16:07 PM »
Where do I like to keep my gear?

Preferably as busy as possible. So that means in the car, in my hands, pushed against my face, round my neck or within easy reach.

Paul Wright
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:23:48 PM by pwp »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »
I keep all my gear in a small office room that can be locked. It is on the 2nd floor (save from water/flooding). It is a dry room. Most of the gear is stored in a back-pack. So in case it is needed, I can quickly get it and go. My studio equipment is also stored in the office room. Because the room is locked, it is save for my children.
My back-pack is a Kata Slingbag (holds 2 DSLR, several lenses, flash, tripod/monopod and other assecoires)

Just a late security inspired thought...some posters have put up some fairly specific information that may be useful to some mongrel who wanted gear for free...You had better believe we're all quite easy to locate. Underestimate the criminal mind at your peril.

Until you have been burgled, you think it's never going to happen to you. We got done recently on a noisy stormy night while we were asleep upstairs. It's a horrible, expensive, breathtakingly time consuming affair.

Consider editing your posts with personal security in mind . This world isn't all sweetness and light. That's reality.

Paul Wright
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:44:35 AM by pwp »

willrobb

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 08:13:12 AM »
I keep my digital gear divided between two large Lowepro back packs and my 70-200mm lens stays in it's padded case. My film gear stays in an old canon camera bag. Everything has silica packs to keep mositure related problems away (which is a problem in Japan in the summer months). When I shoot I take a bag depending on where I am going (old ruffed up Lowepro for dirty assignments, nice new one for corporate gigs) and pack whatever I need for that shoot only. If I have to take a lot I load my back pack onto a fold up trolley.

I clean my gear once a month I reckon. Lens and bodies get wiped down with cleaning fluid and dried off. I always have a blower in my bags and most times I take a lens cap off I give a little blow.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 08:13:12 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 08:24:41 AM »
I keep all my gear in a small office room that can be locked. It is on the 2nd floor (save from water/flooding). It is a dry room. Most of the gear is stored in a back-pack. So in case it is needed, I can quickly get it and go. My studio equipment is also stored in the office room. Because the room is locked, it is save for my children.
My back-pack is a Kata Slingbag (holds 2 DSLR, several lenses, flash, tripod/monopod and other assecoires)

Just a late security inspired thought...some posters have put up some fairly specific information that may be useful to some mongrel who wanted gear for free...You had better believe we're all quite easy to locate. Underestimate the criminal mind at your peril.

Until you have been burgled, you think it's never going to happen to you. We got done recently on a noisy stormy night while we were asleep upstairs. It's a horrible, expensive, breathtakingly time consuming affair.

Consider editing your posts with personal security in mind . This world isn't all sweetness and light. That's reality.

Paul Wright

Ah, yes. Right!
Good of you to bring that under my attention. Well, I guess I am a bit naïve. I will consider this with my next posts.
As for the storage of my gear: I have to relocate that - or split up. Lucky I have some other hidden chambers in this palace of mine

Thanks
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-105L  |  70-300L  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

aldvan

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »
I'm able to fill a medium size Lowepro with all my kit: 1Ds MkIII, 5D MkII, 100 IS L macro, 16-35, 100-400, 430EX. The only lens that doesn't fit the kit is the 24-105, but i have to admit that I used that may be two times.

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 03:02:20 PM »
I keep most of my ready use gear in a Lowepro Commercial AW with 4 Lens cases attached to the sides. On location use either a backpack/roller case.  Tripod and monopod packed separately. 
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L /180 3.5L/ 300 4L / 100-400L

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 01:06:36 AM »

Paul Wright

Ah, yes. Right!
Good of you to bring that under my attention. Well, I guess I am a bit naïve. I will consider this with my next posts.
As for the storage of my gear: I have to relocate that - or split up. Lucky I have some other hidden chambers in this palace of mine

Thanks

I am installing 50 cal turrets as we speak!

What is interesting to note is the utter disparity here... from hygrometers and special cases to strewn all o'er the place... alas, I fall into the strewn everywhere category...
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 01:06:36 AM »