October 20, 2014, 09:26:49 PM

Author Topic: Are these tripods worth buying? or wasting my $$  (Read 3288 times)

chilakamarthi

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Are these tripods worth buying? or wasting my $$
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 03:04:24 PM »
i am 17 years old and im going too school. so i don´t have money to waste. :)

i saved for a gitzo 4542LS tripod.
it´s a lot of money for me. but i thought that when i buy a good tripod, that fits all my needs, i will probably use it for the next 10 years.

80 euro a year is not that bad. :)

before that i had cheaper tripods around 200 euro... i was not satisfied.
sold them on ebay, lost money that way. :(

A tripod is something you buy for a lifetime, so buy a good one! I'd recommend Manfrotto, if you don't want to spend too much money, Gitzo (Mountaineer series probably in your case) if you want the best. Check out the 190CXPRO4/055CXPRO4 at the Manfrotto website, maybe a Kirk or RRS ballhead with it.
http://www.manfrotto.com/collection/8374.58969.1079729.0.0/055_new_series
http://www.manfrotto.com/collection/8374.58969.1070646.0.0/190_New_Series
http://www.gitzo.com/collection/71837.1078805.0.0.0/mountaineer_tripods
Good luck choosing! :D

I totally agree. Earlier I got Dolica 65 inch model and most of the times it served my purpose. I observed that it is not easy to carry around & couple of times I observed that it was shaking on long exp shot . I am looking for something easy to carry even in my cabin luggage and also more stable.

Second reason for looking for cheap version is, If I see my photography work, 95% of the cases camera is in my hands. Very few times when I went for nature photography and pano.

My height is 165 cm  :) and this tripod height is right for my height.

So this tripod attracted me :).

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:06:41 PM by chilakamarthi »
6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 f4 IS, 50mm 1.8mm, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 430 Ex II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 03:04:24 PM »

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 03:57:11 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a carbon fiber tripod around and came across this tripod. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151376263090?lpid=82. There are many such products in ebay. Not sure if I can go for it or not. Any suggestions?

For something like a tripod, I'm not sure I would pursue a generic model.  Think of the cost of the camera you are trusting the tripod with.  Giottos and manfrotto have value options as well. Give them a look before you buy.

Just my recommendation.
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

chilakamarthi

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 01:18:44 AM »
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a carbon fiber tripod around and came across this tripod. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151376263090?lpid=82. There are many such products in ebay. Not sure if I can go for it or not. Any suggestions?

For something like a tripod, I'm not sure I would pursue a generic model.  Think of the cost of the camera you are trusting the tripod with.  Giottos and manfrotto have value options as well. Give them a look before you buy.

Just my recommendation.
I totally agree. Earlier I got Dolica 65 inch model and most of the times it served my purpose. I observed that it is not easy to carry around & couple of times I observed that it was shaking on long exp shot . I am looking for something easy to carry even in my cabin luggage and also more stable.

Second reason for looking for cheap version is, If I see my photography work, 95% of the cases camera is in my hands. Very few times when I went for nature photography and pano I used tripod.

Do you have any suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:20:57 AM by chilakamarthi »
6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 f4 IS, 50mm 1.8mm, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 430 Ex II

tayassu

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 04:45:38 AM »
Well, there is a pretty stable, relatively cheap, relatively lightweight, relatively small packing and extremely flexible tripod with the option of going monopod by Rollei, the Fotopro C5i:
http://www.amazon.com/Fotopro-C5i-Camera-Tripod-Titanium/dp/B007QSAQ8U/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409647301&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Rollei+Fotopro+c5i
Maybe this one matches your conditions ;)
Camera: Canon 7D
Lenses: Tokina 4/12-24mm II, Tamron 2.8/24-70mm VC, Canon 4-5.6/70-300 L, Tamron 2.8/90mm VC

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 10:10:58 AM »
Hi all,

Just my recommendation.

Second reason for looking for cheap version is, If I see my photography work, 95% of the cases camera is in my hands. Very few times when I went for nature photography and pano I used tripod.

Do you have any suggestions?

Stable means legs that do not flex, enough weight so that a breeze does not blow it over, and even more importantly, a head that locks down so your lens does not droop.

If you get a tripod with a under hook, you can make any decent one more stable by hanging a weight on the hook, many use a camera bag as the weight.  You can also sandbag the legs to keep one from blowing over.

BUT ...  Be very careful about the head.  Cheap heads usually do not hold a lens stable, and it will droop after you lock the head.  Its really a pain to aim that 70-200 or 100-400 and then see your target move up when you let go of the lens.  You have to figure out how much droop you will get and compensate.  I've done that when I first bought a low cost rig.  If you are on a budget, you can work around inexpensive legs, but splurge on a excellent head, and don't expect to find one packaged in a $400 or $300 combo deal.

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 11:29:27 AM »
Dear Friends
I have about 12 Tripods + 6 Monopod past 30 years Start from  $ 20 US Dollars up to the High End of Tripods ($$$) and High end Ball head ($$$)/ Made in The Great USA.
But past 2 years when I travel around the world, I use The Cheap and Great  carbon fiber Tripods from China ( Tripods + Monopod) = $ 144 US Dollars and can Carry Load = 20 Pounds = Because of Light weight on the Airplane, Carry On, Plus can stand my Big DSLR( Canon 1DS ) + Big  600 mm Lens too.Enjoy
Surapon

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-BK-586-Trans-Functional-Monopod-Olympus/dp/B0082XM8F2

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:32:07 AM by surapon »

Djaaf

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • MyFlickr
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 11:48:30 AM »
Well, there is a pretty stable, relatively cheap, relatively lightweight, relatively small packing and extremely flexible tripod with the option of going monopod by Rollei, the Fotopro C5i:
http://www.amazon.com/Fotopro-C5i-Camera-Tripod-Titanium/dp/B007QSAQ8U/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409647301&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Rollei+Fotopro+c5i
Maybe this one matches your conditions ;)

It looks awfully like the MeFoto Roadtrip that I bought last week. :)
If it's the same thing, that's a good tripod.
It's got a hook, 4-section legs and the ballhead is sufficient for a 6D + Samyang 14mm (not tested anything else on it yet. :)).
If you extend the legs to the max, you can get your eye in the viewfinder without having to bend if you're 6 ft high. That said, it seems to me that it's more stable without extending the fourth section of the leg and raising the central column a bit instead.

Seems quite sturdy, and you can disassemble pretty much everything if you need to clean some parts.

In short, it's a good tripod. I may replace the ball-head one day though.

Djaaf.

Edit : It looks also awfully like the one Surapon showed. :)
Canon EOS 6D, 24-105 f/4 L, 100 Macro L IS, Voigtlander 20 f/3.5, Samyang 14 f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 11:48:30 AM »

bluegreenturtle

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »
I wonder what the lightest tripod that includes a bowl (of any size) for leveling is.  I guess you can add a leveler to one like shown above. 

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »
I guess I'd have to admit I'm no expert when it comes to tripods - I bought my first one (and last one) over
40 years ago and still use it on a semi-regular basis.  Although Leitz quit selling the Tilt-all several years ago,
it is still available in the original design and a quite reasonable price.  It is made of high quality aircraft aluminum,
is not too heavy, has reliable legs and an infinitely adjustable head. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »