December 21, 2014, 07:30:27 AM

Author Topic: Anything new on EOS-M3? How it may compare to A6000?  (Read 6582 times)

Hjalmarg1

• Canon 6D
  • Photo Hobbyist
    • View Profile
Anything new on EOS-M3? How it may compare to A6000?
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:35:09 AM »
I haven't heard anything from the possible EOS-M3, Does anyone have information? How it will compare against the excellent Sony A6000?
Body: 5DIII. Prime Lenses: 15mm f2.8, 100mm f2.8L IS, 35mm f2 IS, Extender EF 2X III.
Zoom Lenses: 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II. Others: Flash 580EX II, 270EX II & MR-14EX II

canon rumors FORUM

Anything new on EOS-M3? How it may compare to A6000?
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:35:09 AM »

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Anything new on EOS-M3? How it may compare to A6000?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:48:54 AM »
I haven't heard anything from the possible EOS-M3, Does anyone have information? How it will compare against the excellent Sony A6000?

How will it compare to the Fuji X-T1, the Olympus E-M1 or the Panasonic GH4 ??? These aren't toys, they are serious cameras that are being used by pros, RIGHT NOW. All three brands have a good selection of lenses, not just zoomz.

lescrane

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 10:29:55 PM »
I have the M and 18-55 EF M.   Recently I considered buying a Tamron 18-200 for it. Then I said I'd wait until an "M3" came out..with a EVF, maybe a flash, maybe a flip screen, etc etc.  Why buy lenses for a dead system?

Then I read about the Sony A-6000, the Fuji and others mentioned by a previous poster. Am going to a local camera show in Nov to compare, right now I'm really liking what I see about the Sony.. I have zero loyalty for Canon anymore, given total lack of innovation across the board. Am stuck with the SLR's because of investment in lenses(many of which are now 3rd party). Stuck may be too harsh...don't see much of a diff w/Nikon.   But w/the mirrorless, clearly Canon has intentionally or unintentionally thrown in the towel.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 11:53:24 PM »
I use Fuji XT1, and older XE1s.
Recently got Olympus OMD EM10.

They're similar, but different.
I really like the output from the fujis, just blows everything else away for IQ and convenience of great OOC jpgs.
OTOH, the Oly, which is initially a little harder to get used to because of the complexity of settings and options and fewer physical controls, I find more "fun" to use for less serious shooting.

notsosem

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 01:01:20 AM »
Question from a newbie here.

Comparing the recent price drop on the M. Are the differences in quality really worth the additional expenses of shifting to a different system sony,fuji,olympus? Considering, that is, if one already has a number of ef lenses.

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 01:22:05 AM »

Comparing the recent price drop on the M. Are the differences in quality really worth the additional expenses of shifting to a different system sony,fuji,olympus? Considering, that is, if one already has a number of ef lenses.

If your M+ef and efm lenses covers what you want in a mirrorless AND you're not itching for an EVF or tilt screen...then no. Well...maybe if you're looking at the Sony A7's for low light or more resolution. Otherwise, no.

For what it is the M is great. Its problem is that it's out there by itself rather then being the entry into a larger MILC ecosystem.

andrewflo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 02:26:30 AM »
I'd wish for nothing more than a jaw dropper in the form of an M3 but tbh I just don't see it.

The EF-M 18-55mm is listed as discontinued on B&H. The 11-22mm, 55-200mm, and M2 were never distributed in the US.

"Thrown in the towel" sounds like exactly the phrase I'd describe Canon's EOS M endeavors.

They're sooo far behind in laying down the groundwork to support a show-stopping mirrorless system. I love my EOS M to death. But never would've purchased it if it wasn't $250. IMO, the fact that the system flopped and is 25% of the original MSRP is the best thing it's got going for it.

But hey, having our fingers crossed never hurt anyone :)
6D | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC | 100mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 600EX-RT | EOS M | EF-M 22mm f/2 | Helios 44-2M 58mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 02:26:30 AM »

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 02:34:24 AM »
I think viewing the M as "dead" is taking a very US centric view when in reality it was likely always planed as a system aimed mostly at the Japanese market were ultra compact mirrorless sales dwarf those in the US.

My guess is that we'll see an M similar to the one around now with the 70D sensor at some point next year, as to whether we see a larger body I think that's anyones guess.

lescrane

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 09:55:41 AM »

Hi,

I don't think it's a question of quality, eg I.Q...I'm quite happy w/the images I get from the M..they are pretty much the same as i get from my 70D. I don't think the competitors have anything revolutionary w/sensor performance, I am always going to stick w/nothing smaller than an aps-c

The issue I have w/the M is w/useability...it will never be more than a walk-around or 2nd camera when I can't carry the DSLR...   No EVF, kind of clunky controls when trying to do Exp comp, and I really like a built in flash for fill light,etc.  Only a few fixed ISO settings, very very poor battery life(you must always carry a spare)

I don't regret the bargain I got w/the M, but am willing to spend more to get more.     Another poster commented that it's not "dead" eg, it's quite alive in Japan, but that doesn't help me here in U.S.A.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 10:36:43 AM »
I don't think it's a question of quality, eg I.Q...I'm quite happy w/the images I get from the M..they are pretty much the same as i get from my 70D. I don't think the competitors have anything revolutionary w/sensor performance, I am always going to stick w/nothing smaller than an aps-c

The issue I have w/the M is w/useability...it will never be more than a walk-around or 2nd camera when I can't carry the DSLR...   No EVF, kind of clunky controls when trying to do Exp comp, and I really like a built in flash for fill light,etc.  Only a few fixed ISO settings, very very poor battery life(you must always carry a spare)

I don't regret the bargain I got w/the M, but am willing to spend more to get more.     Another poster commented that it's not "dead" eg, it's quite alive in Japan, but that doesn't help me here in U.S.A.

It hasn't bothered me that not all the lenses weren't offered in the US -- I bought them from Canada and elsewhere.  It makes a big difference to me that it is doing well in Japan because that means that it is not a dead end system.  If it was not doing well in the market it was designed for (Japan), then I'd have treated it as a P&S to be replaced every few years and would not have picked up additional lenses.

vdx

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 05:09:14 PM »
I love(d) the M so much for the IQ and EF compatibility (I have purchased a kit with the adapter). I really like(d) the selection of AF point by touch and I enjoyed the EF-m 18-55 later on holiday, too. I was a huge fan of Canon. BUT: I was waiting more than a year for:
a) a faster zoom - say 18-55/2.8
b) a pancake zoom - say 18-55/3.5-5.6 pancake
c) some dedicated small and lightweight primes - like 35/2 and 50/2

...AND there's no news for such a long time. Not even a roadmap that would make one wait more patiently. So I ditched the M and went into m4/3 world with Olympus OM-D E-M10. Although a bit smaller sensor, I get a lightning fast touch AF, tilt screen, 1.440k viewfinder, a pancake zoom right out-of-the-box and I got the m.zuiko 45mm/1.8 for bokeh shots for €250 (about $330, that is). There is a nice range of lenses (17/1.8 and 25/1.8 are on my list), it's lightweight, beautiful and fun to shoot with. Sorry CANON.

For EOS M users, the EF 50/1.8 mark I is really nice to work with in MF mode... ;)

Canonicon

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 05:35:36 PM »
The chance that the M3 will be what people want is slim.
Canon will cripple it im pretty sure.

When you want a small system camera there are good choices right now.

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 05:45:43 PM »
The chance that the M3 will be what people want is slim.
Canon will cripple it im pretty sure.

When you want a small system camera there are good choices right now.
That DPAF sensor of the 70D is just begging to be used in a mirrorless camera, and the EVF-DC1 is waiting for a second camera to connect up to. The groundwork for the EOS M3 has already been laid. Will Canon put the pieces together? And if they do, will they sell it outside of the US?
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 05:45:43 PM »

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 06:14:11 PM »
kind of clunky controls when trying to do Exp comp

I can't recommend full manual exp enough when using the M. Spin the dial until your screen looks right. One click lets you swap the dial between aperture and shutter (though I wish there were two dials). Your human eye can judge exposure better then any AE meter. When you realize how often AE is less then optimal on any camera, how awkward it is to mess with exp comp, and how quickly and easily you can ETTR in LiveView, you give up the AE modes and never look back.

Shooting with my DSLRs feels clunky in terms of exposure now.

Only a few fixed ISO settings,

??? How so? 100-12800 is pretty wide.

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »
That DPAF sensor of the 70D is just begging to be used in a mirrorless camera, and the EVF-DC1 is waiting for a second camera to connect up to. The groundwork for the EOS M3 has already been laid. Will Canon put the pieces together? And if they do, will they sell it outside of the US?

My guess is they will once 70D sensor yields are sufficient. They can't abandon the mount. MILC sales are going up while DSLR sales are starting to go down. It might still be a couple years but Canon is going to have to address this and take the mirrorless market head on. If they don't cannibalize their own Rebel sales, a competitor will.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »