November 23, 2014, 05:05:30 AM

Author Topic: Optimizing your monitor for print production...  (Read 2353 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Optimizing your monitor for print production...
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 05:16:04 PM »
JD,

It's too bad your thread didn't come a few days earlier -- Amazon had the i1Display Pro on sale for $189.

Getting a tool to calibrate your monitor really is necessary if you want the best results. Another thing to keep in mind is that your monitor will need to be recalibrated periodically, as it will drift over time. I recalibrate mine every month or so.

Monitor calibration is just one half of the situation. The other is the printing side. Not sure if they will, but if Costco can provide you with an ICC/ICM profile for the printer/paper combination they use, you can load that in Lightroom to "soft-proof" your images before sending them out to print. I agree with others in asking their techs what colorspace to edit in for best results.

Just a side note, I have a Dell IPS display calibrated with the i1Display Pro. It's paired with the Canon PIXMA Pro-100 that I picked up from Adorama (with 50 sheets of 13"x19" paper) for $34, after rebate (I tell you this because they tend to do these deals a few times a year). As long as I turn OFF color management in the printer driver's advanced settings and then load the Canon profile in Lightroom and tell Lightroom to manage the color, I get beautiful prints that match my display. In fact, I was quite giddy at my first batch of prints (after figuring out to turn off the printer driver's color management -- it gave a magenta cast).

I hope this helps some!

Thanks... I was hoping I could map it once and then be done for a while... I guess not.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 05:16:04 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 06:14:51 PM »
jd, a good place to start might be this Book, I've found it exceptionally handy & definitely worth the $30 investment, it's certainly helped me improve my Printing & Monitor set up etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Art-Printing-Photographers-Exhibition/dp/1937538249/ref=dp_ob_image_bk

On my own Monitor set up I use the X Right i1 Pro, again, I find it worth the investment, currently I use it to set up my Apple 30" Cinema Display & my Sharp K321 4K Monitor.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 07:20:45 PM »
I use the datacolor solution for my monitors.  I see that adorama has a basic one for sale right now for $80.  Not sure if that's out of the budget.

http://www.adorama.com/ICVS4X100.html
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 07:56:25 PM »
Keith Cooper who sometimes posts here, and who has a web site called Northlight images has a lot of excellent information on color management.  Its free, its expert advice, start there!!

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/what_is_colour.html

jthomson

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 08:22:59 PM »
The x-rite colormunki display is all that you need.  It will calibrate your display and it costs about $170.  Rental is not really an option as they recommend  regular calibration.  Once your display is calibrated then you need the costco printer/paper profile to use in genenerating your images for printing.  Your Costco's website should have the details you need.

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 08:41:17 PM »
I use the datacolor solution for my monitors.  I see that adorama has a basic one for sale right now for $80.  Not sure if that's out of the budget.

4.8ish stars on adorama... 4 stars on amazon... seems reasonable.  The complaints about x1 is about the software... so I don't know if that has improved...

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 08:42:26 PM »

4.8ish stars on adorama... 4 stars on amazon... seems reasonable.  The complaints about x1 is about the software... so I don't know if that has improved...

The software for the i1 is a little bit quirky, but it works consistently once you figure it out.  If you go that way drop me a line, I'll pass on what I've learned.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 08:42:26 PM »

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
1 - rent http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/accessories/calibration/colormunki

2 - download your local Costco ICC profiles for their printers - http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/

3 - read http://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/using_printer_profiles.htm - it'll tell you how to apply them in photoshop

4 - print more :)
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 10:33:48 PM »

There is also the Pro and Elite versions of the Spyder4.  The pro is 149 and the elite is ~225 I believe.   I've had luck with mine, but it's an Elite 3 I got as part of their studio package.  The only software quirk I've had (running v4 software) is that sometimes I can't calibrate my second monitor.  After some research I found it is an incompatibility with the NVIDIA driver.  When I turn off the nvidia desktop I can calibrate the second monitor.  I don't use the desktop anyway, so I leave it off.

There are lots of options out there - xrite, pantone, datacolor.   Most folks respond having the xrite or datacolor solutions when these questions are asked.  One thing to consider is that as monitors age, so does the color they produce.  Most of these products stay attached to your computer and take light readings and either adjust as necessary, or remind you to recalibrate if conditions change enough to affect what's on screen.   

Btw, good synopsis on the 12th man.   The point behind the story is that even though Mr. Gill sat on the sidelines, it was is his response to be ready should he be needed by the team.  That's also the basis for the 12th Man Foundation and the Aggie Network today.  If you need something, there's an Aggie there somewhere ready to help you.
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 10:48:51 PM »

There is also the Pro and Elite versions of the Spyder4.  The pro is 149 and the elite is ~225 I believe.   I've had luck with mine, but it's an Elite 3 I got as part of their studio package.  The only software quirk I've had (running v4 software) is that sometimes I can't calibrate my second monitor.  After some research I found it is an incompatibility with the NVIDIA driver.  When I turn off the nvidia desktop I can calibrate the second monitor.  I don't use the desktop anyway, so I leave it off.

There are lots of options out there - xrite, pantone, datacolor.   Most folks respond having the xrite or datacolor solutions when these questions are asked.  One thing to consider is that as monitors age, so does the color they produce.  Most of these products stay attached to your computer and take light readings and either adjust as necessary, or remind you to recalibrate if conditions change enough to affect what's on screen.   

Btw, good synopsis on the 12th man.   The point behind the story is that even though Mr. Gill sat on the sidelines, it was is his response to be ready should he be needed by the team.  That's also the basis for the 12th Man Foundation and the Aggie Network today.  If you need something, there's an Aggie there somewhere ready to help you.

Thanks for the info... but the first time I heard the 12th man story (not sure how old I was, but I was probably young since I grew up in Texas) I was annoyed he didn't get in the game.  That's the hollywood ending I wanted...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 10:48:51 PM »