December 21, 2014, 04:37:33 AM

Author Topic: Guessing Game- Canon or Nikon?  (Read 3186 times)

Canon1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Guessing Game- Canon or Nikon?
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
With all of this debate recently (always) about which camera sensor is better... canon or nikon (sony)... I thought it would be an interesting exercise to see if people can actually tell which camera brand produced the image.  I welcome you to post an image and see if others can tell whether it was canon or nikon.  Post some images for the DRones out there. 

Over the years I have shot with many cameras and currently use both Canon and Nikon... So, I'll start it off...

canon rumors FORUM

Guessing Game- Canon or Nikon?
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »

tayassu

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • 500px
Re: Guessing Game- Canon or Nikon?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 04:58:48 AM »
I would say this is a Canon, because the colors don't look nikonish ;) the green is too yellow for Nikon. But I'm not a camera differentiation pro ;)
Nice idea :D
Camera: Canon 7D
Lenses: Tokina 4/12-24mm II, Tamron 2.8/24-70mm VC, Canon 4-5.6/70-300 L, Tamron 2.8/90mm VC

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:58:41 AM »
Hi Canon1.
I want to say Canon as it is Canon rumours, but then that might be what you want me to say so I thought Nikon, but then you might be double bluffing us, I'm pretty sure it was one or the other, or maybe you got moosey to stand still while you took a picture with both and have merged the two so it was taken with a Cakon?  :o :D
Perhaps you could have done this as a poll so we had firm numbers to look at?
I like your idea to get us to put our money where our mouths are!  :o

Cheers, Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »
With all of this debate recently (always) about which camera sensor is better... canon or nikon (sony)... I thought it would be an interesting exercise to see if people can actually tell which camera brand produced the image.  I welcome you to post an image and see if others can tell whether it was canon or nikon.  Post some images for the DRones out there. 

Over the years I have shot with many cameras and currently use both Canon and Nikon... So, I'll start it off...
There is serious horizontal banding in the water area -- clearly it must be Canon.

Seriously, I have always wanted to see a test like this, it will be interesting to see if people can come up with a way to tell.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:10:13 AM »
Obviously Nikon, as there is this huge oil spot in the center of the frame that almost seems to be spelling out a word, looks maybe like "Cooright?"

Or maybe it's Canon and its a terrible case of shadow banding that coincidentally looks like letters.

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:58:27 AM »
Very funny comments, but really it would be impossible to tell the difference on images of this size, and after being squeezed into CR's page.

However I'm going to say I hope for the sake of a certain person who has recent became a DRone's sanity this was shot on Canon, 'cos if it wasn't he's going to be one miserable dude.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »
Looks Nikon to me. Based purely on whim and guesswork like most of my photography  :P

Can we have more fun threads and posts like this please?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:03:40 PM by Zv »
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 12:47:51 PM »
Can we have more fun threads and posts like this please?

How dare you suggest fun, when the fate of the world hangs in the balance – clearly you don't understand the importance of DSLR sensors.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »
This seems a suitable thread for the next round of my travel quiz, today based on photos I took this afternoon.

Photo 1.
What is the guy doing?

Photo 2.
What deep question is he pursuing?

Photo 3. Where do these gate lead if he gets the wrong answer?

What camera am I using and where?

5D III, EOS-M, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, 100-400 II, Sigma 10-20, EOS-M, 18-55, f/2 22.

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 01:27:26 PM »
This seems a suitable thread for the next round of my travel quiz, today based on photos I took this afternoon.

Photo 1.
What is the guy doing?

Photo 2.

I think it's pretty clear to me:

Photo 1: Looking at two cameras
Photo 2: which do I choose, Canon or Nikon ?
Photo 3: Hell

Or, if the guy's a DRone it could be:

Photo 1: Looking at a picture he's shot on a 5DIII
Photo 2: Where's all that noise come from ?
Photo 3: Ridicule

tayassu

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • 500px
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 02:01:11 PM »

Photo 1.
What is the guy doing?

Photo 2.

1. He is trying to decide whether APS-C or FF is better.
2. He is also trying to decide whether to buy Canon or Nikon, because 3 friends have told him Nikon is crap but 1 "pro" said Nikon's so much better than Canon. By the way, he sold his clothes to be allowed to touch the pro's new FL lens...
3. To the endless burning fire of question No. 1, here and everywhere...

I believe you are using a layer technique, having shot both photos with Nikon and Canon, matching the colors in post to not offend Rodin's thinker (I believe in Paris) ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:03:59 PM by tayassu »
Camera: Canon 7D
Lenses: Tokina 4/12-24mm II, Tamron 2.8/24-70mm VC, Canon 4-5.6/70-300 L, Tamron 2.8/90mm VC

Canon1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 09:43:16 PM »
Very funny comments, but really it would be impossible to tell the difference on images of this size, and after being squeezed into CR's page.

Very true...

The original post was shot with a 7D, 300 f2.8is I + 1.4xTC II, f8, 1/500, ISO 800, Handheld.

My point with this post is that an unbelievable amount of energy has been expended on here recently arguing how one sensor is great while another is crap.  I'm hoping more people will post images that the rest of us can "guess" which camera brand made it.  My personal believe... it is irrelevant. 

Here's another one:  Nikon or Canon??

johnf3f

• Canon 6D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 06:17:10 PM »
Sorry but this thread would only make sense if one were posting unedited RAW files taken under controlled conditions. Once processing is allowed we are looking at the skill of the person processing the image not just the capabilities of of the camera + lens.
I really don't understand the constant Canon vs Nikon squabbles - for my uses Canon is better but for many others Nikon is a better choice.
So the best advice is choose - don't waste time on endless and pointless discussions which resolve nothing and inform nobody.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 06:17:10 PM »

Canon1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »
Sorry but this thread would only make sense if one were posting unedited RAW files taken under controlled conditions. Once processing is allowed we are looking at the skill of the person processing the image not just the capabilities of of the camera + lens.
I really don't understand the constant Canon vs Nikon squabbles - for my uses Canon is better but for many others Nikon is a better choice.
So the best advice is choose - don't waste time on endless and pointless discussions which resolve nothing and inform nobody.

Interesting. That is the entire point of this thread. You are a quick study. :-)

The camera brand is irrelevant. Many people here on cr argue vehemently for one brand over another... Trying to convince each other through theory, physics and math. Bottom line... None of it really matters. Whether a camer has 10 stops of DR or 11 or 12... Doesn't matter!

Also, to further my point... No one shares raw files. They are not finished products. It's the capture and the post processing of these files that makes an image. The intent of this thread is not to actually compare sensors or brands... It's to point out that while those details can make a difference to some... In the big picture it really just doesn't matter. Even the people who an extra stop or two of DR makes a HUGE difference, it is only in a tiny percentage of the images they make.

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 04:00:28 AM »
Hi John.
So we publish unedited raw? Then view with what, 10 different bits of software, each of which has its own algorithms which may handle different cameras discreetly differently? Do we download DPP and the Nikon equivalent?
Sorry but I think your reasoning is flawed, and you may have missed the point of this thread is to dispel some of the "myths?" about the problems with this body or that body.

Cheers, Graham.

7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 04:00:28 AM »