November 25, 2014, 06:33:49 PM

Author Topic: Live View and Remote Release  (Read 1322 times)

ray5

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Live View and Remote Release
« on: September 02, 2014, 09:56:07 AM »
Hi,
I seem to be having trouble using my remote release while using Live View. I use  Vello's Wireless ShutterBoss Timer Remote with the 5D MK III. The on camera shutter release works fine. When I use the remote cable release without the live view it works fine but when I try it with live view it just doesn't work. I have to switch back to the viewfinder to take the shot or use the camera button. I noticed this during night shots as otherwise I don't use the remote release.
Is there an issue with this unit, or a setting I may have not activated/deactivated?
Thanks for your help.
Ray

canon rumors FORUM

Live View and Remote Release
« on: September 02, 2014, 09:56:07 AM »

niteclicks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Live View and Remote Release
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:43:38 AM »
I used mine on a 5DmkIII yesterday in live view with no problems. Some things to check like focus priority, mirror lockup,I do use back button focus. I assume since you said night shots you were in manual focus single shot ? I have never had a problem with mine that I couldn't trace back to me.  ;D

ray5

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:47:10 AM »
I am pretty sure it's me or my settings. I was in Tv mode, on a tripod, do not use BBF, auto foucs, single shot.

niteclicks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:03:24 AM »
I have noticed the live view focus is a lot slower in low light, so my guess is it couldn't get focus. You could try "quick focus" in live view, manual pg 207, and see if that helps. But I would use manual focus at night.

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:47:54 AM »
When I shoot in live view I disable auto focus... so it is more responsive to the shutter button.  When I heard your problem that was the first thing that came to mind, but I'm not sure that is actually what is wrong.  Good luck.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

ray5

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 12:50:13 PM »
When I shoot in live view I disable auto focus... so it is more responsive to the shutter button.  When I heard your problem that was the first thing that came to mind, but I'm not sure that is actually what is wrong.  Good luck.
When you say disable auto focus do you mean switching the lens to MF or do you mean turn the camera to Manual from any other mode?

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »
Try this - go into the Live View menu settings and then into the Silent Live View shooting mode settings. Change the setting to “Disable” and it should work.  The first two silent Live View settings also disable the use of flash and screw up the older TS-E lens and extension tube exposures and I think it screw up the the cable release function as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:57:57 PM »

ray5

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »
Try this - go into the Live View menu settings and then into the Silent Live View shooting mode settings. Change the setting to “Disable” and it should work.  The first two silent Live View settings also disable the use of flash and screw up the older TS-E lens and extension tube exposures and I think it screw up the the cable release function as well.
Great, will try that tonight. Another thing I noticed was the "Exp. SIM", what is that? I don't know if the subject I was shooting makes a difference but it was the Brooklyn Bridge, late at night. So low light conditions with the bridge lights and Manhattan skyline behind it.  Thanks

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 01:12:26 PM »
Great, will try that tonight. Another thing I noticed was the "Exp. SIM", what is that? I don't know if the subject I was shooting makes a difference but it was the Brooklyn Bridge, late at night. So low light conditions with the bridge lights and Manhattan skyline behind it.  Thanks
That's exposure simulation - see the details below:

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 01:31:14 PM »
When you say disable auto focus do you mean switching the lens to MF or do you mean turn the camera to Manual from any other mode?

Disable at the lens. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 01:42:14 PM »

Disable at the lens.
Setting your camera to back button focus achieves the same effect as it doesn't [slowly contrast-]AF when you press the shutter...

ray5

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
Ok, should I disable it then?

ray5

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »

Disable at the lens.

Ok, I have done that in the past. But, whether it was my eyes or whatever I have failed to nail the focus many times. I still use it when in the mood to try panoramas but many times not happy wiht the sharpness. Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 01:55:44 PM »
Ok, should I disable it then?
It depends on what you're wanting to do - there's really no right answer.  I generally leave it "Enabled" so I have a general idea of how the shot will look (particularly in M mode).  When I shot at night, though, I'll set it to "During" so the screen is brighter which helps me manually focus and set tilt/shift on those lenses.  I can quickly push the DOF button to get the simulated exposure view.  I always rely on the histogram (pre- or post-shot) to get accurate exposure (or expose to the right exposure), though.

ray5

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 03:00:41 PM »
Thanks a lot! I learn so much everyday from you guys.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 03:00:41 PM »