Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Stills

POLL: How many shutter cycles do you burn through?

(1/7) > >>

Marsu42:
Having worn through my 60D in four years and having reached 160k, I wonder how much other people use their camera(s). I'm in a bad spot doing wildlife (= a lot of missed shots or the subject moved) and focus stacking, doing other photography styles certainly preserves the camera for a longer time.

I know it's hard to explain to people who are still rooted in the film/analog world how many digital shots I sometimes take home. But I'm curious about the dslr folk here and if I should go see the doctor about pressing the shutter button too often :->.

Feel free to elaborate in the thread how you achieve the shutter count you voted for (which photography style, full-time pro or weekend amateur, ...). Enabling Live view also counts as a cycle here, if you want to get the stats use a computer app or Magic Lantern.

Ruined:
I am not sure altogether.  I know in the past couple of weeks I have burned through about 2500 or so.

pwp:
-Had a 20D "all-original" which clocked up a few hundred thousand before going to my daughter. It's still going

-Had a 5D Classic "all-original" which clocked up a few hundred thousand before going to an assistant. Still going.

-Have a 1DMkIIn with several hundred thousand up and for the most part is retired. It comes out for very dirty or wet boat salt-water jobs.

-Have a 1D MkIV with several hundred thousand clicks which works like new and is in daily use.

-Have a 5D3 with around 250,000 clicks which works like new and is in daily use.

The only two shutters I have ever replaced are in an EOS 1n film body where I punched my thumb through the shutter while changing film in the back of very bumpy helicopter flight, and the other in a 1 day old 5D3 which was officially DOA. The body was replaced without question. My experience indicates to me that the stated shutter life published by Canon is incredibly conservative.

I guess I am a heavy shooter, but that comes with a required ability as a ruthless editor. I can flag 100 keepers from a 2000 frame shoot in about 45 minutes. This kind of workflow is not going to suit everybody; maybe more patient and considered shooters will probably come up with as good a 100 as me, but only shooting 200-300 frames. I shoot heavily to catch that magic moment locked inside a dynamic flow of human action which could be on a sports field, on an advertising shoot, in a studio portrait shoot or in a corporate office. I'm just grateful that shutters last as long as they do.

-pw

Besisika:

--- Quote from: Ruined on September 07, 2014, 04:09:01 AM ---I am not sure altogether.  I know in the past couple of weeks I have burned through about 2500 or so.

--- End quote ---
Agreed, I have few sport events in a year where I shoot 1500 to 2000 clicks then the majority is 2-300 at a pace of once in a week, sometimes three weeks.

lo lite:
23041 actuations on my 5dmkii (bought in May 2010)
more than 11587 actuations on my 5dmkiii (bought in October 2013)

I used ShutterCount to read the data from my bodies. But that app is buggy, it reports only 9834 actuations for my mkiii although I am already at IMG_1587 for the second time with it, so I guess the actual number of actuations with it must be higher than 11587.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version