July 24, 2017, 04:53:03 PM

Author Topic: Buying refurbished DSLRs and / or lenses directly from Canon  (Read 56962 times)

lion rock

• 5DSR
Re: Buying refurbished DSLRs and / or lenses directly from Canon
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 07:36:29 AM »
JPAZ,
I bought 2 600EXII at two different times when they had sales on.  Don't think I'd pay full price on it anymore.  Came in generic packaging, but once out of box, there is no difference between them and a brand new one.  They came with full warranty, too.  Work just like brand new ones.
Bought an EF-S 10 -22 lens for my daughter, ordered on the Nov 9, and it came on Nov 10, Illinois to Virginia, can't be more pleased.  Again totally generic packaging, double boxed.  Initial shots were excellent.  I may get one for myself to mount on my 7DII.
I'm now convinced that I'll buy this route.  Taxes must be paid, either way, shipping usually not.  I'm still ahead in a few ways.  No pain.
-r

As I said above, I've had good experiences. But I am curious.  I have always been hesitant to buy a refurbished Speedlite. Lenses and bodies don't worry me but the element that flashes has got to have a finite lifespan.  Anyone out there have any thoughts about refurbished flashes?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 07:36:29 AM »

JPAZ

• 1D Mark IV
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 05:49:41 PM »
Thx@lionrock
5d Mkiii; Eos-M3 and too many lenses; 430 EXii, 430 EXiii-RT and a whole lot of stuff.  Wanna buy my 17-40 my Pro-Optic (Samyang) 14 f/2.8 or my my M1?

papa-razzi

• EOS M3
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 07:37:52 PM »
I bought a 6D referb from Canon about 6 months after they came out.  I still have the camera and haven't had a single problem with it.  I was willing to buy refurb vs paying what was still close to the introductory MSRP.

However, as 92101media states, Canon refurb is often competing with new product from a company like B&H - where I don't pay tax or shipping - and if B&H has any kind of a sale or discount you are often very close to or below the refurb price + tax & shipping. 

I wouldn't hesitate due to the quality and warranty.  I just don't think it is that big of a price break when you factor everything in.

No experience buying Canon refurb equipment, but have a comment regarding pricing. Many times street prices are below Canon MSRP e.g. say 10%. Now, say Canon refurb equipment pricing is 20% off Canon MSRP, but then has 10% added onto that discounted price for taxes & shipping, whereas an out of state online store does not. I have found that sometimes the difference in price (online, no tax, no shipping vs. Canon refurb + tax + shipping) can be negligible, and in those cases to me it's worth paying a couple of percent price premium to get a new item vs. a refurb, when purchasing through a well regarded online retailer, who offer hassle free returns/replacements & the full length manufacturer warranty (as opposed to say limited returns/replacements & a 90 day warranty that often accompanies refurb items).
6D | 7D  | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM |
EF 35mm f/2 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8

Zeidora

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 11:36:44 AM »
Recently bought a refurb TSE 24. Indistinguishable from new. It came in some no-name box, so not original packaging, but was shipped very well packaged and padded. Works very well.
5D2 full spectrum, 5DsR, a bunch of Zeiss (some other) primes, for documentary natural history, macro, and micro.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 11:36:44 AM »