September 02, 2014, 05:48:28 PM

Author Topic: Is $650+ too much for a 6hr (one day) Lightroom session?  (Read 11713 times)

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
Re: Is $650+ too much for a 6hr (one day) Lightroom session?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »
with decent knowledge you take the picture rather than letting the camera take the picture...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »

steven63

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »

WWW.LYNDA.COM

$25 per month and you can watch all the tutorials you want on photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3, and any other program that has anything to do with photography.

It's a great site.

Personally I like the tutorials that Chris Orwig puts together there.  He has beginner and advanced tutorials for Photoshop.  Both are about 14 hours long and he goes through the whole program and all the tools. 

His Lightroom 3 tutorial is about 12 hours long and covers absolutely everything you would want to know about the program. 

The best thing?  You can cancel the membership after a month if you finish the tutorials and subscribe at a later time to learn about something else or refresh a program you haven't used in a while.  $25 for this service is a steal and well worth it.  I recommend you give it a try before you spend $650 for a 6 hour course.

CowGummy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • www.smrphotoart.com
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 11:58:57 AM »
I've always been a big believer in the old 'learning-by-doing' philosophy. And of course everyone is different, but personally there is no way I would spend that kind of money on a course like that. I've always been of the opinion that I personally learn more by messing around with software by myself and referning to specific tutorials online for anything I'm desperate to know asap.
If I were in your shoes I would sink the money into a new lens or a photo-specific holiday to go and shoot for real and learn as you go along. Think of it as learning but with the nice by-product of actually taking some great shots!

Just my $0.02
5DmkII   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  430exII

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »

WWW.LYNDA.COM

$25 per month and you can watch all the tutorials you want on photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3, and any other program that has anything to do with photography.

It's a great site.

Personally I like the tutorials that Chris Orwig puts together there.  He has beginner and advanced tutorials for Photoshop.  Both are about 14 hours long and he goes through the whole program and all the tools. 

His Lightroom 3 tutorial is about 12 hours long and covers absolutely everything you would want to know about the program. 

The best thing?  You can cancel the membership after a month if you finish the tutorials and subscribe at a later time to learn about something else or refresh a program you haven't used in a while.  $25 for this service is a steal and well worth it.  I recommend you give it a try before you spend $650 for a 6 hour course.

+1 for Lynda, I've learned so much from that site it's not even funny.  It's broken down really well, and you could use it for 2 years for $650.  It's all very visual and all of the tutorials are high quality.  They have courses on everything from actual photography to pretty much every single CS5 app, as well as highly complex 3D applications and whatnot. 
Try out the Lightroom course on Lynda, and if you still feel the need to take the class after that, go for it.  But to hell with $650 for ONE day...regardless of how good the course is, you can only take in so much in that amount of time. 

Cliffnotes: $650/1 day course < $25/class for a month + $625 of new gear 

Kudos to you either way for taking the time and effort to learn proper techniques (something so many ignore nowadays).
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 12:10:49 PM »
As for buying  computer, a trick I used back in the day was to buy a used computer on ebay that said it had the software I wanted.  Also look into student pricing at local colleges.

Software isn't always transferable and you have to be student to qualify for student pricing so this may not be legal for some programs.  But if that isn't a concern well then just download a pirated version, not that I'm recommending that of course.

photophreek

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 12:18:49 PM »
$650 is way too much money to spend on a LR course unless Scott Kelby is teaching it.  Something tells me that the cost of the course would be a whole lot more if he was teaching.  Time to spend the money buying the software and get Scott Kelby's book.  Fire up the software and start using it which is the best way to learn.

sct69

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 12:27:56 PM »
At over a hundred dollars an hour someone is on a good thing. If I cant figure out how to do something I'll Google it or come to this very informative forum. Like others have said there are plenty of tutorials out there in web land for FREE.  Lightroom is a great program but for me I definitely choose to save the cash and teach myself.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 12:27:56 PM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »
As for buying  computer, a trick I used back in the day was to buy a used computer on ebay that said it had the software I wanted.  Also look into student pricing at local colleges.

Software isn't always transferable and you have to be student to qualify for student pricing so this may not be legal for some programs.  But if that isn't a concern well then just download a pirated version, not that I'm recommending that of course.

Lightroom and Adobe commercial software is transferable.  If you are not a student, they are not going to sell you student software.  As for piracy if you don't recommend it, why bring it up?  It's actually pretty hard to find most mac software via pirate site, and when you do, it's one of the best ways to pick up a mac virus or just get something that does not work.  So I don't recommend it.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 01:17:41 PM »
I'd say its grossly overpriced.  You should be able to get a course for under $200.

It is well worth it to take some training, its not intuitive at all, many of the finer points are hidden and you will be missing out on many of the powerful features.  A thourough understanding of how the dataabase works will save you a lot of headaches.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 01:34:54 PM »

Lightroom and Adobe commercial software is transferable.  If you are not a student, they are not going to sell you student software.  As for piracy if you don't recommend it, why bring it up?  It's actually pretty hard to find most mac software via pirate site, and when you do, it's one of the best ways to pick up a mac virus or just get something that does not work.  So I don't recommend it.

My comment is only meant to point out that your old trick of buying a used computer to get software is subject to that software being transferable which you failed to indicate and not everyone knows that.   In the cases that it is, great idea but anyone reading your comment should be aware of the issue in case they are concerned about that.  As for the student pricing, it is easy to buy student versions without being a student, however it's not legal.  My comment about downloading software was meant to be lighthearted, sorry if that rubbed you the wrong way.

JPL_1020

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »
$650 is definitely a lot of money. With LR you just have to know the basics and you can learn everything else yourself.

Have an online training @ kelbytraining.com. It's $24/mo ($19 if you're NAPP Member), for that price you can access all their online courses and repeat it as you wish as long as you're subscription has not expired.

It would be best if you get LR3 now and have it in your screen while you're training so you can learn simultaneously.

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 02:45:16 PM »
Reason I ask is because there's a Lightroom (6 hour) short course running on Saturday from a well-known and respected educational insitution. I've already completed 4 photography-based short courses before and am currently (almost finished) two more photography short courses. ALL the short courses I've done have been over $600 each which certainly adds up (6x$600-$650=NEW body and 2 lenses). I'm also doing a photography course next year (not a short course, goes or 3yrs).

But the man running this short course is one of the selection 'educators' who puts together the offical Adobe Lightroom book 'tutorial/manual thing every year or whatever it is they release the book. So what do I do? There is really a lot to learn about Lighroom?[/i] I don't have it now, but plan to get it next year when I get a Macbook pro.

It's not just a sit there and listen/take notes course either. We each sit at a workstation and he teaches us how to use lightroom. Spots are very limited and they only run the course once a year. I'm totally broke and I have to enrol and pay a few  thousand dollars for my course next week. Need help. Lighroom really worth doing a 6hr course? I know I'm going to regret not doing it but I don't even have Lighroom and I don't know my way around a Mac. :o
In addition to all the other great suggestions posted, you might want to consider refurbed mac or pc and a starters guide/course to using the Mac or PC if you're not familiar with either of them.

Everyone is different when it comes to learning. If you respond better to a classroom than you do to reading books, watching videos or surfing the web, then you should consider some alternative courses as the price seems very steep. Also if you've little understanding on the Mac, then heading straight into a LR course may be biting off a bit too much in the first go. I would lean towards the advice of others - once you have an understanding of the Mac (and the mac itself!), grab a eval copy and a $30 book and see how far you get. If that fails, well then you can still do a course and have the book as a reference afterwards

Finally, learning any computer stuff is like learning to cook or a foreign language. Some people will struggle, some will pick it up very quickly and everyone else will be somewhere in between - I consider LR intuitive and quick to pick up, but ask me to tell you my name in Spanish and I'll struggle...  :D
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

seacritter

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 04:09:43 PM »
I'd do Lynda.com and Kelby first...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 04:09:43 PM »

cislovers

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 04:12:33 PM »
$650 sounds like too much to me, unless it's one on one then maybe there's value. A person has to make a living. Have you considered a photo class with lightroom instruction included, check out http://www.bcphotoadventures.com/ I've taken five of these classes and have always been impressed.A word of caution these are intensive lasses up before dawn for the morning shoot, noontime processing, then out in the field again for the sunset shoot, back to the classroom for more processing.

UncleFester

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 10:17:21 PM »
What were the other courses you took and what course are you getting ready to spend thousands of dollars on?

It sounds like you've been getting "the shaft" up 'til now if you still don't know macs or lightroom.

Like others have said: online tutorials. Free. And you can take out of it what you want. 5-6 years ago everything was a big secret. Now the right info is all over the place.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 10:17:21 PM »