October 21, 2014, 09:45:39 AM

Author Topic: Is $650+ too much for a 6hr (one day) Lightroom session?  (Read 11924 times)

Philco

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Is $650+ too much for a 6hr (one day) Lightroom session?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 11:24:09 PM »
I think someone who has spent some time in LR already would benefit more from this kind of intensive workshop. There is a crazy amount of information to absorb and you can only take in so much on one day. You will probably end up working through all the study materials and take-home papers in the months following, which is an awful lot like working from a book anyway. It is a pretty intuitive application and you might be surprised how much you can learn on your own.
Unless you have a really high volume workflow issue to solve, I would save the money.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 11:24:09 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2011, 12:43:48 AM »
i just bought the scott kelby lightroom book from amazon, it was ALOT cheaper than that and you can go at your own pace and you have it for reference. Good instructional books are worthwhile.
APS-H Fanboy

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2011, 07:44:29 AM »
Thanks for everyone's input and advice/suggestion - I certainly didn't expect so many people to respond lol. I will take a look at getting Scott Kelby's book. I didn't realise til someone mentioned it here that with all of the money I spent to pay for those 6 courses I could've taken a nice holkiday somewhere taken some great photos! Unfortunately I didn't think of that.

Is it worth studying photography? I mean, you can be a pro photographer without having to have done a degree or similar. But I'd like to work ina studio to dip my toe in the water as to working in the photography industry but everyone I've applied to always ask if I have a qualification which I don't.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2011, 01:29:10 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input and advice/suggestion - I certainly didn't expect so many people to respond lol. I will take a look at getting Scott Kelby's book. I didn't realise til someone mentioned it here that with all of the money I spent to pay for those 6 courses I could've taken a nice holkiday somewhere taken some great photos! Unfortunately I didn't think of that.

Is it worth studying photography? I mean, you can be a pro photographer without having to have done a degree or similar. But I'd like to work ina studio to dip my toe in the water as to working in the photography industry but everyone I've applied to always ask if I have a qualification which I don't.

Lightroom is a great tool, its like a iceburg, most of the features are not readily seen, and the usage of the controls is definitely not well described.  I do a lot better if I know exactly what those sliders are supposed to do, and how to set them then just trying to observe their effect on the image.

If you want to add vibrance, for example, it is intended to increase color saturation without affecting skin tones while the saturation control affects all colors.  This is not readily apparent from using the control, since many use it on flowers and other subjects with no skin tones where the saturation control might work better.

http://www.photographworks.com/2010/07/08/photoshop-explains-vibrance-versus-saturation/

You can google all the sliders or buy a book, but you will know what to look for when you adjust a slider if you know what it does.  There are many ways to adjust the sliders as well, sliding them with a mouse may now be the fastest way for many.

darleks

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2011, 02:06:56 PM »
How much will it cost you to download, listen to and watch the tutorials on Lightroom from www.luminous-landscape.com?

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 12:52:00 AM »
I didn't realise Scotts Kelby had written so many how-to... guides. Can anyone recommend one of his lightroom books for me? I don't just want to pick any one, I just want one book and stick with it.

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 04:50:51 AM »
That lightroom class was cancelled as they didnt have enough people who paid and enrolled for it - but 3 teachers from the institution wanted to do it and some other students. In the end they now have enough students and are proceeding with the LR3 course next wednesday.

In one of my short course a man kindly gave everyone in the class a cd each with the olynda.com LR3 video tutorials on it. I think I may just use that for now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 04:50:51 AM »

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 06:42:56 AM »
Reason I ask is because there's a Lightroom (6 hour) short course running on Saturday from a well-known and respected educational insitution. I've already completed 4 photography-based short courses before and am currently (almost finished) two more photography short courses. ALL the short courses I've done have been over $600 each which certainly adds up (6x$600-$650=NEW body and 2 lenses). I'm also doing a photography course next year (not a short course, goes or 3yrs). [...] Lighroom really worth doing a 6hr course? I know I'm going to regret not doing it but I don't even have Lighroom and I don't know my way around a Mac. :o
You really hate money, don't you?

Forget Lightroom, get the GIMP and use it on your regular ol' PC.  No problem at all.

I admit, it's taken me a while to get used to the non-PS layout but it works well enough, I think.  (It'll work better once they get the GEGL, i.e. video card accelerated non-destructive processing, stuff done.)

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 10:22:33 PM »
Reason I ask is because there's a Lightroom (6 hour) short course running on Saturday from a well-known and respected educational insitution. I've already completed 4 photography-based short courses before and am currently (almost finished) two more photography short courses. ALL the short courses I've done have been over $600 each which certainly adds up (6x$600-$650=NEW body and 2 lenses). I'm also doing a photography course next year (not a short course, goes or 3yrs). [...] Lighroom really worth doing a 6hr course? I know I'm going to regret not doing it but I don't even have Lighroom and I don't know my way around a Mac. :o
You really hate money, don't you?

Forget Lightroom, get the GIMP and use it on your regular ol' PC.  No problem at all.

I admit, it's taken me a while to get used to the non-PS layout but it works well enough, I think.  (It'll work better once they get the GEGL, i.e. video card accelerated non-destructive processing, stuff done.)
Lol, I love money I just hate not having enough of it  ;D Also I just learnt that the first year of my uni photography course will cost me about $10,000 for the first year! That's not including materials, so expensive.

I heard of GIMP, I always thought of it as a PS alternative not a Lightroom alternative. I've heard good and bad things aboujt it but haven't given it a go. What's it like?

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 05:03:05 PM »
most of the guys i know in photography these days who are making good are platform speakers/carpet baggers.

Freshprince08

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Double Take Photography
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
I didn't realise Scotts Kelby had written so many how-to... guides. Can anyone recommend one of his lightroom books for me? I don't just want to pick any one, I just want one book and stick with it.

Spend some time with this and you'll be on your way:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom-Digital-Photographers/dp/0321700910/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323989287&sr=8-1

Also worth watching some of the edits people post on YouTube... Dom Bower, Jared Polin to name a few.
www.double-take-photography.com | 5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | EF 35mm f1.4L | EF 50mm f1.4 | EF 85mm f1.8 | EF 100mm f2.8 Macro | EF 135mm f2.0L | EF 17-40 f4L | EF 24-70 f2.8L | Sigma 50mm f1.4 | Sigma 85mm f1.4 | 3 x 580EXii | 430EXii | BlackRapid RS-7 | BlackRapid RS-5 | ThinkTank Airport Security

Jettatore

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2011, 06:30:43 PM »
I heard of GIMP, I always thought of it as a PS alternative not a Lightroom alternative. I've heard good and bad things aboujt it but haven't given it a go. What's it like?

You are absolutely correct, yet there are GIMP like FOSS alternatives to Lightroom as well.  More info buried in this thread http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,2216.0.html

And honestly, if one is needing all this specialized training in Lightroom, then I would suggest backing up a step, get a better grasp on computing/software in general, and spend that time of deep study with something like Photoshop or it's GIMP alternative because by the time you are done, Lightroom/Aperature will seem like cake to work out and you won't even need a book.  This will not work in the reverse direction.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2011, 07:19:21 PM »
In terms of open source (free) software.

Dark Table (http://www.darktable.org/) is to Lightroom as
GIMP (http://www.gimp.org) is to Photoshop.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2011, 07:19:21 PM »

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 07:46:02 AM »
Just get out there and put your fears to bed.  The best cure for inexperience is experience - your own.

@ dilbert:  Hey, thanks for the link to Dark Table.  I need to give that a look!

spaceheat

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 11:37:41 AM »
Agree with most everyone else. Buy a book. Scott Kelby is a pretty popular author on the subject.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 11:37:41 AM »