July 31, 2014, 06:55:32 PM

Author Topic: Are these USA Canon rebates really worth it?  (Read 10670 times)

scottsdaleriots

Are these USA Canon rebates really worth it?
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:40:38 AM »
Like right now USA Canon have started new rebates for some of their lenses - the old rebate only ended a few days ago. As an aussie do you think they're worth saving the extra $$$ and buying from B&H (since they have the rebates now)? Even with the 'rebate' Adorama are still expensive and Amazon dcurrently don't have the rebates.

I'm tempted to buy from overseas with the rebates available since buying cameras/lenses is so expensive here. But you know, there's something called the greedy australian government and their VAT and GST fees. Oh(!) not to mention the outrageous shipping fees. What do you reckon?

Coz I'm tempted interested in buying a 50mm lens (either 1.2L or 1.4). But then if I get a dud copy I can't return it without spending a small fortune on return shipping and insurance, etc to the store (e.g Amazon).

canon rumors FORUM

Are these USA Canon rebates really worth it?
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:40:38 AM »

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Are these USA Canon rebates really worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:27:10 AM »
I certainly think they are worth it--at least here in then USA.  I wish I could take more advantage of them more often.  As far as Amazon and other dealers offering rebates, their posted price is a reflection of the rebates.

I know this for sure with Amazon since I have several lens in my wishlist and I check the prices pretty much daily.  As soon as the rebate starts, the priced has been reduced by the rebate amount.  Sometimes there is even a note on the web page stating the Manufacturer's rebate but usually not.   (I usually favor Amazon because I  get a percentage kick back when using an Amazon credit card--Aah more money for more gear.)  What  about Amazon Australia?

Monitor Canon Price Watch.com and purchase from the lowest price (reputable) vendor regardless of the rebate.

niccyboy

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 08:31:31 PM »
"VAT and GST"...  You mean GST.... we don't have a 'vat'.

GST will still be added to your purchase (if it is over $1000) if you purchase it overseas. You will be asked to pay it before you collect your goods in Australia.

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 07:39:18 AM »
^ We don't have VAT? Lol I thought we did, my bad. DOn't customs open every parcel/package that comes into our country? I lack knowledge in this area but the rebates are tempting, especially currently with the aussie dollar being a bit higher than the greenback.

I certainly think they are worth it--at least here in then USA.  I wish I could take more advantage of them more often.  As far as Amazon and other dealers offering rebates, their posted price is a reflection of the rebates.

I know this for sure with Amazon since I have several lens in my wishlist and I check the prices pretty much daily.  As soon as the rebate starts, the priced has been reduced by the rebate amount.  Sometimes there is even a note on the web page stating the Manufacturer's rebate but usually not.   (I usually favor Amazon because I  get a percentage kick back when using an Amazon credit card--Aah more money for more gear.)  What  about Amazon Australia?

Monitor Canon Price Watch.com and purchase from the lowest price (reputable) vendor regardless of the rebate.
Amazon Australia doesn't exist, I wish it did though! Thanks for the website. I shall have a look. I want to take a short 'holiday' in the US just so I can order and load up on all this Canon gear from Amazon or whatever and take advantage on the free shipping, lol :) but then I would most likely have to pay some kind of custom fee when I return.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 01:37:52 PM »
Many camera sellers, like B&H discount cameras and lenses.  When Canon offers rebates, they are based on the full MSRP.  This often results in a higher price rather than a real discount.

On the other hand, Black Friday or Cyber Monday offere real discounts if you are quick on the trigger.  You will need to check websites or use one of the deal finder pieces of software.  Some onlly last an hour!

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 06:25:55 AM »
^ Really? I didn't know that. They seem cheaper than what they usually sell for. So I guess I should wait another 12months for the next Black Friday sale? I really can't wait that long, lol

niccyboy

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 06:32:30 AM »
or buy second hand... gumtree has bargains....

last year i picked up a 24 tilt, 100 macro, a spare 50 1.2, kenko 300 2x extender with a storm case... for 3k from someone who inherited it and had no idea what it was worth.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 06:32:30 AM »

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 09:03:06 AM »
I would say Yes.  Right now is the best time to load up on Canon lenses.  I have not seen price as attractive as from B&H Photo Video for example in the past year.  I just got two "L" lenses in the past few weeks due to these great price and I am finding it very hard not to get a few more as the prices are likely lower then they will be for the rest of 2012 (at least until next Xmas).

I mean, I got the 70-200 f2.8L IS II and the 35 f1.4L for a total rebate (both lenses) of ~$600-$700 compared to their prices during the summer.  So any lenses I plan on needing in the next 6 months, I am trying to convince my wife they would make great Xmas gift! - lol

Good luck...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 09:51:02 AM »
...Right now is the best time to load up on Canon lenses.  I have not seen price as attractive as from B&H Photo Video for example in the past year.... 

I mean, I got the 70-200 f2.8L IS II and the 35 f1.4L for a total rebate (both lenses) of ~$600-$700 compared to their prices during the summer....

I know what you mean, I just spent most of my "photography allocated" money on a 16-35 and now I'm seriously considering the 35 1.4 before the rebate ends.

My biggest concern is Canon might be right around the corner to update this lens since its quite old (1998).  I wish they would update the optics and add weather sealing.  I need a crystal ball.  Well, I've got till the 7th to decide.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 10:34:02 AM »
...Right now is the best time to load up on Canon lenses.  I have not seen price as attractive as from B&H Photo Video for example in the past year.... 

I mean, I got the 70-200 f2.8L IS II and the 35 f1.4L for a total rebate (both lenses) of ~$600-$700 compared to their prices during the summer....

I know what you mean, I just spent most of my "photography allocated" money on a 16-35 and now I'm seriously considering the 35 1.4 before the rebate ends.

My biggest concern is Canon might be right around the corner to update this lens since its quite old (1998).  I wish they would update the optics and add weather sealing.  I need a crystal ball.  Well, I've got till the 7th to decide.

I had the same concerns since for sure I will be getting the 35 1.4L mkII when ever it comes out and if it comes out!  Reading through the posts here there are two short term possibilities for the release of new lenses, either December 6th (tomorrow but only a CR1) or sometimes during the CES in January.  Since BH Photo Video offers you 30 day return policy, if you get the 35 1.4L anytime after mid December I think this would give you the option to return it if the new one comes out during the CES.

Keep in mind if they announce new lenses they may or may not become available right away.  For myself, I needed something wider then my 50mm ASAP and ultimately decided that with the current rebate and coupled with a mkII price likely more that the mkI price, I will be able to sell my 35mm 1.4L when the new one comes out with little $$ loss i think.  That's why I bought it even if a new one may come out within the next 6 months...

Good luck with your decision.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

darklord

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 11:21:27 AM »
I was looking to buy the 16-35 f2.8 II which is at a good price with the rebate now.  But I also heard that the 14-24 is coming out so I'm rethinking about it.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 12:09:38 PM »
First of all, these rebates seem to be very good for certain lenses. But, it varies by lens. The best thing to do is to look at the price history charts on canonpricewatch.com and see if the lenses you are thinking of buying are discounted enough to make it worthwhile.

The two lenses you mentioned were the 50mm f1.4 and the 50 mm f1.2. It looks like the f1.4 is only about $20 less with the rebate than what it was selling for pre-rebate.The f1.2 lens looks to be a better deal, selling for about $100 less than pre-rebate. (But it is a dang expensive lens in the first place.) I note that B&H is selling the lens new for less than they have a refurbished version listed at (a pretty good sign that it's a decent price.)

In either case though, you'd have to decide if the savings are sufficient to justify the hassle of buying the lens in the grey market and getting it home.

By the way, if anyone needs a rationalization for buying Canon lenses, this is a fun article:
http://www.canonpricewatch.com/canon-lenses-better-stocks/
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 12:17:50 PM »

By the way, if anyone needs a rationalization for buying Canon lenses, this is a fun article:
http://www.canonpricewatch.com/canon-lenses-better-stocks/

+ 1 for Canon Price Watch.com.  I visit it almost as frequent as CR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 12:17:50 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 02:14:16 PM »
But I also heard that the 14-24 is coming out so I'm rethinking about it.

Where did you hear that?  I've only seen rumors sent in by those who have zero information, but make up rumors for entertainment.  If you depend on them for purchase information, you may be waiting another 5 or 10 years.

darklord

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »
Where did you hear that?  I've only seen rumors sent in by those who have zero information, but make up rumors for entertainment.  If you depend on them for purchase information, you may be waiting another 5 or 10 years.

The 16-35 drop another $50 so I'm gonna jump on it at $1390.  It's almost the same as CL used prices.  You are right, even if the 14-24 does come out, it's gonna be more expensive than the 16-35.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »