October 02, 2014, 05:32:12 AM

Author Topic: The Future of the Canon Speedlite [CR1] & More  (Read 3859 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
The Future of the Canon Speedlite [CR1] & More
« on: November 29, 2011, 11:50:49 AM »
3 New Speedlites? Received a bit of a random email saying Canon is currently testing 3 separate Speedlite models. 430 and a 580 replacement, as well as an all new flash line.

A replacement of the ST-E2 was also mentioned, though it wasn’t said whether or not it would be radio based..

1 new Macro flash is also a possibility, there is a small stature Macro flash being tested I’m told. It may be launched with a new EF-S macro lens.

LensRentals.com used gear LR.com has added more used Canon gear for sale, including a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.

Visit LensRentals.com

Contest Update I am still sorting through photos. Getting them down to 10 in each category is taking time. Ones opinion of an image really can change depending on your own personal mood.

The finalists are coming very soon.

cr

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:57:11 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

The Future of the Canon Speedlite [CR1] & More
« on: November 29, 2011, 11:50:49 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of the Canon Speedlite [CR1] & More
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 12:11:49 PM »
LR.com has added more used Canon gear for sale, including a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.

Hmmmm...$1920 for a used one, or a new one for $54 more from B&H.  Tough choice...   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 05:01:43 PM »
A replacement of the ST-E2 was also mentioned, though it wasn’t said whether or not it would be radio based..
This makes sense to me.
Now that the 7D and everything since have the optical-based wireless flash trigger, there's no point in buying an ST-E2. But if every flash from now on includes a radio receiver, and the new top-model has the radio transmitter, we've got a new reason to upgrade everything all over again.
Good marketing.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

willrobb

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:52:05 PM »
This makes sense to me.
Now that the 7D and everything since have the optical-based wireless flash trigger, there's no point in buying an ST-E2. But if every flash from now on includes a radio receiver, and the new top-model has the radio transmitter, we've got a new reason to upgrade everything all over again.
Good marketing.

Agree 100%. Radio is the way to go, the ST-E2 is great when it works....but when it doesn't work it's a nightmare.

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:51:46 PM »
This makes sense to me.
Good marketing.

That would be nice but I really don't see how Canon could do that and still have products that they could market worldwide and customers could -fully legally- travel with and use around the world. There are lots of weird regulations and differing standards in different places.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

Philco

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 11:34:09 PM »
Radio trigger features would be nice, since Nikon's already done that, but I'd give that up any day of the week for a more predictable and consistent ETTL. If they solve that, I'll upgrade at the soonest opportunity. 

occasional5duser

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »
This makes sense to me.
Good marketing.

That would be nice but I really don't see how Canon could do that and still have products that they could market worldwide and customers could -fully legally- travel with and use around the world. There are lots of weird regulations and differing standards in different places.

My Sekonic light meter has the radio trigger functionality on a little card that can be slotted into the main body of the device.  They sell different radio cards for the different frequencies/protocols around the world.

http://www.sekonic.com/Products/L-758DR/Accessories/Transmitter-Module-for-L-358-and-L-758.aspx

It would be nice to see Canon doing something similar.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »