October 23, 2014, 01:40:45 PM

Author Topic: “Revealing” Canon C300 Test Video  (Read 8540 times)

Fandongo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: “Revealing” Canon C300 Test Video
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 11:13:15 AM »
Too bad they didn't specify the "HD SLR" they used for the side-by-side shots :) The difference in image stabilisation is huge. I wonder how the 7D/5D II video shooters feel about this comparison.

I would say don't shoot with a jiggly tripod head.
If you're an excessively jiggly person, get a good IS lens.

DSLR + glidecam + rollerblades on horribly bumpy cobblestone = smooth as butter.

I'd also say check out the wide bike shot @48fps 720p.
Still dirty like a DSLR in 720.

Negligible high iso noise is cool.
It's cool on the hacked gh2 too.
This camera matches exactly what i expected of the 5d3.

Unimpressed.
TO THE MAX!!
"There is no good and evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 11:13:15 AM »

CowGummy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • www.smrphotoart.com
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »
Not a video shooter myself, but I loved that clip!!
Why can't all product reviews be done like that? Informative and entertaining at the same time - brilliant review.
5DmkII   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  430exII

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 01:27:52 PM »
Looks pretty awesome, slays the DSLR. Then again for 10 orders of magnitude greater price, it had better. All the nasties are gone. Hopefully the new 1DX, 5D3 video will also remove some of the nasties though, although probably not as much of the rolling shutter (being serious for a moment, a lot of what he called rolling shutter artifacts on his test were actually other issues like when the street lamp kept popping into and out of existence along with some of the tree branches and stuff as the car bounded along, that was the ugly skipped line sampling issue).

Oh and "No Ants Were Harmed"! Yay!!!!

But I think may favorite part of the test was the skin tones test. That was so, soooo good.

catz

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 10:33:25 AM »
One thing that I found surprising was that I did not see the resolution to be any better than my 5D mark II on this video. It looks like the moire/aliasing is mostly gone, but in this specific scene where it was compared to a HDSLR (possibly to 5D mark II as the moire resembles more the 5D than that of 60D on that scene).

I would be fine with this quality of image, but at that price, I would have expected similar fine detail as RED. For comparison clip from Scarlet posted by somebody: http://vimeo.com/32843511
Looking the comments, it looks like it is not even 1080p but it still looks more detailed than 5D mk II or the C300, and actually in the executive scene the HDSLR looks more detailed than the C300 except for the horrible moire it has (and these details are not false details created by the aliasing because the aliasing false details show up mainly as horizontal lines (and combinations of them that cause rainbows because aliasing occurs before de-bauer) that should not be there.

Based on the examples from C300, I am leaning towards a conclusion that it might be possible to achieve similar image with 5D mark II by installing the Mosaic Engineering anti-moire filter on it. The anti-moire filter costs 300 which is not so big investment over the 5D mark II compared to the out-of-indie/prosumer-reach price of the C300.

I am waiting for 5D mark III, maybe it will offer some resolution improvements over the current HDSLRs *and* may fix the moire issue (if we are lucky). If that would happen, then the 5D3 will be a dream coming true and it will find its place on my "must-have" gadgets purchase backlog and will then receive higher priority than a new Mac. I hope Canon comes out with the 5D3 before Apple comes up with the next iMac refresh. Algorithmically reducing image size from 18Mpix sensor to 2K will result sharp images if no line skipping is used, but rather the pixels are calculated together. The image will be without moire and aliasing if it is done right and does not require any optical antialiasing filter. It requires lots of horse power for the ASIC that does the conversion, but I am hoping that this will be the case with DIGIC 5.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:39:34 AM by catz »

Jedifarce

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 02:03:52 PM »
One thing that I found surprising was that I did not see the resolution to be any better than my 5D mark II on this video. It looks like the moire/aliasing is mostly gone, but in this specific scene where it was compared to a HDSLR (possibly to 5D mark II as the moire resembles more the 5D than that of 60D on that scene).

I would be fine with this quality of image, but at that price, I would have expected similar fine detail as RED. For comparison clip from Scarlet posted by somebody: http://vimeo.com/32843511
Looking the comments, it looks like it is not even 1080p but it still looks more detailed than 5D mk II or the C300, and actually in the executive scene the HDSLR looks more detailed than the C300 except for the horrible moire it has (and these details are not false details created by the aliasing because the aliasing false details show up mainly as horizontal lines (and combinations of them that cause rainbows because aliasing occurs before de-bauer) that should not be there.

Based on the examples from C300, I am leaning towards a conclusion that it might be possible to achieve similar image with 5D mark II by installing the Mosaic Engineering anti-moire filter on it. The anti-moire filter costs 300 which is not so big investment over the 5D mark II compared to the out-of-indie/prosumer-reach price of the C300.

If the C300 price drops to a more reasonable price range of 5k-10k I'd purchase it. The minimizing of the rolling shutter is nice and the high ISO for shooting video at night is great.

My initial thought about the the ice cream scene was "wow, even though they dropped the f-stop from 1.2 to 5.0 they didn't have to adjust the ISO." Until I noticed they pulled the 1.2 ND filter off the lens giving them back 4 stops of light. Oh well...

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 09:06:09 AM »

If you compared to 1080p videos of the same material, with the same camera, why should there be any resolution difference?

cbphoto

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 06:51:33 PM »
What a refreshing camera review!
~ CB

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 06:51:33 PM »