April 20, 2014, 03:51:38 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Information [CR1]  (Read 47394 times)

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
Re: 5D Mark III Information [CR1]
« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
We can make this thread even 20 pages and there will still be NO CAMERA announced... :-\
And we can argue about the Good, the Bad and the Ugly in MPs and ISOs and landscapes but there are many gusto's and still NO CAMERA... :-\
So, better discuss more real things which make sense and have a teaching impulse, Canon  will do their job some day and deliver a low light DSLR AND a High MP DSLR so we can all have one of each ;).

My path to 7D High ISO ultra performance is to shoot at 6400, noise process it, and downres it, and glory at the wonders....

But I do marvel at how a CR1 managed to get 11 pages in like 2 days...
What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »

Fleetie

• EOS M2
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »
We can make this thread even 20 pages and there will still be NO CAMERA announced... :-\
And we can argue about the Good, the Bad and the Ugly in MPs and ISOs and landscapes but there are many gusto's and still NO CAMERA... :-\
So, better discuss more real things which make sense and have a teaching impulse, Canon  will do their job some day and deliver a low light DSLR AND a High MP DSLR so we can all have one of each ;).

My path to 7D High ISO ultra performance is to shoot at 6400, noise process it, and downres it, and glory at the wonders....

I'd like to give this a go. Normally, it's firm POLICY for me not to touch pics in post, ever.

But I do sometimes want to use high-ISO.

However, I run Linux, and only have (The) Gimp installed. I'd like to do 2x2 pixel binning, for a 4.5MPix
result from my 7D pics.

Anyone know how to do that binning in Gimp?

Thanks.

Martin
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

LifeAfter

• Rebel SL1
  • Photo is only 1 media to express among the others
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »
Hi all

I don't know why a 5DII with digic 4 can have 21mp and 3.9/fps (14 bit a/d), and the 5DII would have 18mp digic 5 (perhaps) with 5 or 6 fps (while 7d has 18mp, 8fps two digics)...

I don't know if i'm clear with my English (sorry), but if it's true (the rumor) than it should have a hell of a DR and NOISELESS ISO, it should really be a great step forward, otherwise there isn't any logic to all of this

thank you
5D MK III / EF 16-35mm f2.8 L USM II / EF 24-70 f2.8 L II /EF 70-200mm f2.8 L / Extender 1.4 / EF 35mm f2 IS / EF 50mm f1.4 USM / Sigma 85mm f1.4
Fujifilm X100S / Film: EOS 1000Fn, CANON AT1, MAMIYA DSX 1000
iPhone 5 with 0.67 Wideangle lens

Radiating

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:46 AM »
i personaly dont really mind more megapixels however seeing the lenses at the moment cant deliver enough detail for the 18+ mp sensors its a good point to stick to 18MP sensors for a year and perfect those.
maby if they find a way to imporve lenses further there is a point in adding more megapixels for this cheapass cropfreak.

I've heard this before and find it hard to believe. Do you have any data to back up that claim? The top shelf lenses today have (give or take) been around for decades in one way or another and have always been resolving high enough for film. How could they be not good enough for 18 or 21 or whatever MP sensors? There are certainly many issues today that could see improvement. Lens quality doesn't seem to be one of them really to me (other than the fact that we're pretty much married to AF these days and that lenses aren't that haptically appealing anymore).

There is a reason by the way why Leica decided to develop M-series cameras that take all of their old lenses. Seems to work really great.

All you have to do is look at MTF data taken from test charts. The simple fact that we can even get an MTF figure by shooting a test chart with a camera means that the lens at some point cannot out resolve the sensor. MTF is actually a measure of resolution, just like megapixels, and you can convert between the two without much difficulty. If you look at the MTF data at the mid frame and use that as a marker for the whole lens you will find that many Canon zoom lenses can only resolve 10-18 megapixels at their sweet spot a kit lens generally resolves 10 and an L lens or some high end non-L lenes resolves 16.5-18. Many Canon prime lenses also only resolve 18 megapixels. ONLY a very select few super expensive lenses resolve more and are probably good for 30-40 MP, which we can figure out by looking at APS-C test charts.

The sharpness of a good lens is usually relatively consistent over the image circle, except at the very corners. The sharpness tends to vary less than 30% across the vast majority of the frame, so there are benefits to having more mexapixels to some of the image, but the majority of it will not benefit. Around 24 megapixels you see less than around 90% of the frame gaining from additional resolution.

Canon would not benefit from going up in megapixels until it introduces a new series of primes and normal zooms for full frame. They have the technology to make these high resolution lenses, but simply do not have products capable of doing the job.

I was personally hoping that Canon would introduce a much sharper line of lenses along with pushing the megapixels higher but obviously that's not been the case.

With the current state of the Canon lens line up I think that an 18 MP camera with much better image quality in a 5D III is the best solution.

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the 5DIII is just a incremental bump in AF, weather sealing and a "downgrade" to the 18MP sensor to save costs rather than developing a whole new sensor.

The only fly in the ointment with this theory is the purported 36MP in the Nikon D800.  Really though is video that big a market that they need dedicated video cameras and bang on about video in the stills cameras? As a stills-only landscape shooter I'm not feeling the love from Canon - seriously thinking of going the Nikon way with a D800 if they don't look after me.

What is hilarious is that Nikon was the low MP one (D700 only 12MP!!! D300s only 12MP!!!). Now Canon wants to jump on the bandwagon Nikon is leaving!?!?!

Simple - each is trying the tactic that the other employs to try and gain market share from the other.

jbwise01

« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2011, 11:47:52 AM »
It’s quite clear with demonstrated ISO capabilities of the c300 are quite important. It seams that the rumor alludes to these High ISO performance features to be a major part of the 5D MIII.

Why doesn't everyone understand that improving the ISO performance is a HUG HUGE accomplishment?

High ISO performance is not just about shooting in low light. Let relax and remember exactly what ISO is all about… speed

Higher ISO means faster shutter speeds and larger DOF which increase the crispness and clarity of a photo under challenging conditions. High MP are surely the next step, but what MOST people complaining about megapixels don’t get is that increasing the megapixel count is NOT as important or as useful as increasing the ISO capabilities, and for that reason the MP jump will not come after the5D III. 

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2011, 12:12:45 PM »
For a lot of people high ISO means nothing. Landscape and studio photographers, barring extremely fringe situations will never use an ISO setting above the base or L value.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2011, 12:12:45 PM »

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2011, 12:31:34 PM »
With the current state of the Canon lens line up I think that an 18 MP camera with much better image quality in a 5D III is the best solution.

It depends on what you expect. A 7D shows how the center portion will look of a 46 megapixel full-frame sensor. You will see dropoff in the corners, especially at large apertures of course, but at say f/8 you'll see good performance from many current lenses.

Here's a few example of current lenses that I think would work well with a high resolution sensor (in the 36 - 48 mp range):
TS-E 17, TS-E 24 II, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, TS-E 90, 100/2, 135/2, 70-200/2.8 II, 400/5.6, + high end tele lenses. These will provide good corner-to-corner performance at f/8, noticably less sharp when pixel-peeping yes, but no extreme differences. In short DoF photography corner performance is usually not very important. At 36 megapixels the pixel pitch is only 25% smaller than current 5Dmk2, so it is not extreme resolution increase we are talking about. If lenses were really bad at 36 megapixels, it would clearly show already at 21.

Wide angle and standard zooms will probably show the weakest performance (70-200 is a much better performing zoom range), and won't be the choice for a high res photographer. On the wide end we have the new TS-Es which are great, but I'd like to see a new TS-E 45mm, the current is not too good from a high res perspective.

Getting the most out of high res sensor does require expensive lenses on the wide end and on the tele end, but in the range 50 - 100 sharp is cheap.

It is not necessary to limit the sensor to what the worst lenses can provide. There will be binning modes, sRAW etc, for hand-held, high ISO, and less sharp lenses, you won't have to use max resolution when you don't need it.

There's also another aspect - "sharp pixels" (=aliased, jaggies) don't enlarge well. Is is good if the sensor has so high resolution that you get fairly soft pixels which can be stretched around in PP and enlarging without showing any artifacts. Low-res images without AA filter (i e Sigma) is the worst for enlarging.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:39:43 PM by torger »

jbwise01

« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2011, 01:11:02 PM »
For a lot of people high ISO means nothing. Landscape and studio photographers, barring extremely fringe situations will never use an ISO setting above the base or L value.

I would argue that for the majority of the 5D MIII market, the ISO improvements would be more welcome than increase in MP. Personally, I would rather be able to shoot at ISO 8000 without worrying about noise, that would give me a lot of flexibilty and increase the usablility of my L zooms. Shooting wide open usually is out of the sweet spot for most lenses in terms of sharpness.

Would I like more MP? Sure, but if I had to choose between the MP and ISO i would choose ISO, everyone is different, but i think there are a lot less large print photos coming out of the curretn 5D cameras than these landscape photographers suggest.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2011, 02:02:48 PM »
Personally, my biggest fear is that Canon would segment out the place that the 5D currently holds. When it came out, it offered a top of the line resolution, low light capability, video features in DSLR form and all that at a reasonable price. This combination is what made the 5D such a hit with an extremely wide variety of users. Now, more than three years later, taking into account the extremely fast pace of progress in electronics, from a technical point of view I don't think it is outrageous to expect a camera that improves on all of the capabilities of the 5DII and maintains the same price.

On the other hand, from a marketing point of view, I can see Canon wanting to segment out the 5D into an ISO camera, a high MP camera and video camera. And while it depends on exactly how much they would differentiate the products, it would be a disappointment to me if I find myself in the position of having to buy two different bodies to get the features and quality that three years of development could have brought to a single 5D body from a technical point of view.

spaceheat

« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »

i guess canon engineers know it better then forum members and thats why they choose 18MP.

I doubt very much that it was Canon engineers that chose 18MP.

The 1DX appears to have been created to fit a market and in doing so, I'll wager that Canon's marketing arm did their home work and talked to lots of photographers, for whom the 1DX is aimed at, to find out what they want in a camera.
I remember filling out a survey for Canon this past year that covered these exact topics. One of the questions was something like... What improvement would you like to see most in future camera bodies... Increased Resolution or Increased ISO and Dynamic Range? You had to pick one or the other. You could not answer "both". They also asked some questions about mirrorless systems. For the record, I answered more dynamic range and ISO... even though I only really care about the Dynamic Range. I think the ISO performance of the current generation is fine.

I am guessing that this survey led to their decision to take the path that they have.

I personally would prefer to see them develop a medium to large format solution for everyone crying for increased resolution.

Picsfor

« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »

The answer is quite simple - and has been for quite some time.

The 5D2, apparently, seems to have been the most popular and well received digital camera of all time ???

When every thing gets measured against a camera as it does the 5D2, you can expect any upgrade/ future path for such a camera is going to evoke some fairly strong feeling.

• The problem is, the camera is so good killed off a whole pro line for Canon.
  • Nikon have never come close to producing anything that matches it, and often roll out the D3s as "there you go" (does any one ever mention the D3X?)
  • The video industry discovered they could turn out professional quality staff at a fraction of the price
  • The large print/ landscape market found a camera that could achieve their needs without paying MF & LF prices

11 pages in 2 days? I think we've had it lightly. All we've had is opinions and techno babble - we haven't even got to ranting and abuse yet! :-X :-X

Radiating

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »

It depends on what you expect. A 7D shows how the center portion will look of a 46 megapixel full-frame sensor. You will see dropoff in the corners, especially at large apertures of course, but at say f/8 you'll see good performance from many current lenses.

Here's a few example of current lenses that I think would work well with a high resolution sensor (in the 36 - 48 mp range):
TS-E 17, TS-E 24 II, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, TS-E 90, 100/2, 135/2, 70-200/2.8 II, 400/5.6, + high end tele lenses. These will provide good corner-to-corner performance at f/8, noticably less sharp when pixel-peeping yes, but no extreme differences. In short DoF photography corner performance is usually not very important. At 36 megapixels the pixel pitch is only 25% smaller than current 5Dmk2, so it is not extreme resolution increase we are talking about. If lenses were really bad at 36 megapixels, it would clearly show already at 21.

25% is actually a huge difference. Keep in mind we're talking about area here, the pixels would be 42% smaller. Lenses are already struggeling at 21 megapixels. If you make the pixels 42% smaller the problems will be severe.

That list of high resolution Canon leneses is more or less comprehensive, the 400mm f/5.6 does not belong there, and the TS-E 17 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8 are limited around 24 MP based on APS-C tests. There are a few other rarer lenses missing from the list, but yes those are the ones one would have to work with, most of which would have to be stopped down. Realistically with a 36mp camera you'd just see etremely marginal benefit outside of the 24mm TS-E, 70-200mm, and the supertelephotos, which isn't very good at all.

There are definitely some exceptions to the limited resolution of Canon's current lenses and even some cheap lenses the could eek out marginal benefit from a few more MP, but the reasonable conclusion is that the benefit of more resolution is just too marginal at this point. On the other hand more DR and iso has a much much more wide reaching benefit.

Wide angle and standard zooms will probably show the weakest performance (70-200 is a much better performing zoom range), and won't be the choice for a high res photographer. On the wide end we have the new TS-Es which are great, but I'd like to see a new TS-E 45mm, the current is not too good from a high res perspective.

Getting the most out of high res sensor does require expensive lenses on the wide end and on the tele end, but in the range 50 - 100 sharp is cheap.

It is not necessary to limit the sensor to what the worst lenses can provide. There will be binning modes, sRAW etc, for hand-held, high ISO, and less sharp lenses, you won't have to use max resolution when you don't need it.

There's also another aspect - "sharp pixels" (=aliased, jaggies) don't enlarge well. Is is good if the sensor has so high resolution that you get fairly soft pixels which can be stretched around in PP and enlarging without showing any artifacts. Low-res images without AA filter (i e Sigma) is the worst for enlarging.

I think the biggest benefit of going to 36mp would be a 10% or so bump in resolution accross the board by the presumed removal of the AA filter. There are definitely many side benefits to more megapixels.

The thing is just that even most landscape photographers would have very marginal benefit from a 36mp camera, and going with an 18mp one that has way more DR and iso is much better for everyone.

I personally want Canon to release a 36mp camera even without the right lenses for it because it will drive innovation but if I worked at Canon I would make their 18 mp sensor a priority and the 36mp one a niche product.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »

I think that there's something important here that shouldn't be missed.

If you apply a 1.6 crop factor to the 1Ds3/5D2's 21MP sensor, you end up at around 8MP - about that of the 20D.

The 16MP sensor from the 1Ds2 has approximately the same pixel pitch as that of the 10D/D60.

Thus my expectation is that the 5D3 will have an up-scaled 40D sensor and be in the range of 25MP to 26MP.

If Canon went with the pixel pith from the 50D's sensor, then on FF that would be ~38MP.

I think it would be a pretty safe bet that there are prototype cameras with full frame sensors using the pixel pitch of both the 40D and 50D inside Canon.

In that regard, the sensor in the 1DX does not align with any prior development by Canon as its sensor would be 7 to 7.5MP on APS-C.

sarangiman

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2011, 03:52:43 PM »
" Canon zoom lenses can only resolve 10-18 megapixels at their sweet spot a kit lens generally resolves 10 and an L lens or some high end non-L lenes resolves 16.5-18. Many Canon prime lenses also only resolve 18 megapixels."

Where are you getting these numbers?

As I understand it, the resolving power of a system is roughly:

1/R(system) = 1/R(sensor) + 1/R(lens)

Hence, increasing the resolution of the sensor without increasing the resolving power of the lens will typically still lead to an increase in resolution of the system until you've reached the point where the resolving power of the lens is severely limiting. If one does a simple plot of this equation (see below), that ends up being when the resolution of one component is an order of magnitude greater than the resolution of the other component. At this point, increasing the resolving power of the higher resolution component leads to severely diminishing returns. See plot below:

So what I'm saying is I seriously doubt Canon's lenses resolve anywhere near 10-fold less than their sensors... which means resolution increases in sensors even without new glass will still lead to increases in MTF.

I hope people remember that just b/c a pixel looks soft on a higher resolution sensor doesn't mean that the increased sampling resolution is useless or detrimental. A higher resolution sensor will always, barring other unforeseen variables, produce at least as sharp as an image as a lower resolution sensor once you've appropriately scaled both images to the same size.

That being said, I'm more in favor of higher dynamic range sensors & I'm hoping that the tradeoff will be worthwhile in the 1Dx.
Rishi

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2011, 03:52:43 PM »