December 19, 2014, 04:24:54 PM

Author Topic: I wish I'd never sold my.....?  (Read 10613 times)

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: I wish I'd never sold my.....?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 11:38:09 AM »
I have a few things that I wish I didn't buy like the Tamron 60mm f2 but not really anything I regret selling.

Part of me wishes I had gotten the 135mm f2 instead of the 70-200 f2.8 IS II.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 11:38:09 AM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »
I sold my very first L lens which was the 100mm f2.8L macro.. it was an awesome lens but i sold it to fund a 5d mk 2... and i know i wouldnt do as much macro photography as i would with street and landscape... Although the upside is i got a full frame i wish i would hold on to it  :(

I sold that one too after I lost a pretty big chunk of money last year.  I really miss it at times, but out of the lenses I had at the time (in my sig), it was the only one I could bear to get rid of. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 11:41:58 AM »
Sometimes I regret selling my EF 85mm f/1.8.  I sold it after getting the EF 85mm f/1.2L II, a lens which I love...except for the slow AF speed.  I got rid of the 85/1.8 before getting a 5DII, and I would have liked to see how it does on FF, especially since I usually shoot the 85L at ~f/1.6.

I don't think you were missing much, I had the 85 1.8 for a few months before getting the 85LII, and the bokeh always looked kinda strange to me.  It's a great lens for the money, but no comparison to the 1.2
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 12:21:33 PM »

The only real sale regret I have in my life is my brilliant red 1966 Mustang; wish I still had it today.

Sold it in 1969 after coming back from Vietnam. Used the money to buy a Harley Davidson Sportster motorcycle. Within six months the motorcycle was stolen.

If you ever come across an old Harley, serial # 1965XLCH3085, it belongs to me!

In the camera realm, I don't think I sold it, but I wish I still had my old Pocket Instamatic from the early 1970s -- just for nostalgia sake. That's the one that made me go out and get a good SLR.

Okay, we now return you to the present day....

72-73
welcome home bro
just restored a '66 Mustang GT, Ivy Green

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 12:37:42 PM »
I sold my 40D and then bought another, and about a year later, sold it.  Then, I bought yet another.  I had five of them over the years.  My 7D that replaced it eliminated any wish to go back.  However, I also sold my 17-55mm zoom, and I miss that.   I did have a old collectible Kodak DCS 620 that I sold for a few hundred dollars that might be nice to have just to show around.

KyleSTL

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 01:08:05 PM »
The 20D I fixed a couple months back.  I expected a little over $200, only got $155 on eBay for it (I think it has a lot to do with the auction ending on a Friday night).  If I'd known it was going to sell for so little, I would have just kept it for a second body.

On the topic of cars, my dad and my grandfather have three regretible sales:
1953 Corvette
1973 Porsche 914 2.0L silver (99% Concour quality)
1985 Porsche 911 Carerra Cab red (to fund 2000 Boxster S)

Often I miss my 1998 Volvo V70 wagon, despite my current V50 T5 being nicer, more powerful and newer.  I think sentimental reasons are why I miss it.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

unruled

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 03:32:02 PM »
Sometimes I regret selling my EF 85mm f/1.8.  I sold it after getting the EF 85mm f/1.2L II, a lens which I love...except for the slow AF speed.  I got rid of the 85/1.8 before getting a 5DII, and I would have liked to see how it does on FF, especially since I usually shoot the 85L at ~f/1.6.

I don't think you were missing much, I had the 85 1.8 for a few months before getting the 85LII, and the bokeh always looked kinda strange to me.  It's a great lens for the money, but no comparison to the 1.2

not sure what you mean, the bokeh on that lens is pretty sweet I think personally.

I regret selling my 350d w kit lens. Not for the lens, but the body. I used it to fund my 2nd hand 40d and tamron 17-50 f2.8... But, despite its annoyances would have been a solid backup and lighterweight alternative which I'm feeling now that I have issues w. My arms.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 03:32:02 PM »

EELinneman

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 03:57:21 PM »
Sadly, for me it would be my 68 Chevelle SS 396.....sigh

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 04:18:09 PM »
I've bought and sold the 17-40 f/4L 3 times.... I wish I had just kept the first one.
canonrumors.com

illogict

• Power Shot G7X
  • Enlightener
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 04:46:10 PM »
I don't really sell that many things at all, and being a relative newcomer in the photography world I still have everything I bought.

However the one and only thing I regret selling is my MG TF 160... Such an extremely great little car! Pretty sure I'll buy another one some time.
Canon EOS 500D — EF 20mm f/2.8 USM, 28mm f/1.8 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM — EF-S 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS — Lensbaby Composer Pro, Double Glass — 2×Speedlite 540EZ, 2×430EZ — Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoom + Ballhead X — Domke F-5XC

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »
I sold my very first L lens which was the 100mm f2.8L macro.. it was an awesome lens but i sold it to fund a 5d mk 2... and i know i wouldnt do as much macro photography as i would with street and landscape... Although the upside is i got a full frame i wish i would hold on to it  :(

+1 Me too... that copy I had of the 100 Macro f2.8 was razor sharp and great bokeh too. Sold it for the L version which did not dazzle me...
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Angie

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »
 :(  Oh, man, Daggers through the heart when I saw this thread.  I've read all the posts up to now and so sad and the regrets...always that one or two that you wish you never got rid of or had to sell and wish'd you kept -- not only photog gear but other things as well.  Your babies!!  Not literally but ya know what I mean.  :)

Mine is *sigh* till this day...great sorrow of sorts because of deep love of photography.  Only hobby I've ever had where everything was left behind, work pressures, etc., when I'm out shooting.  And all that mattered at that moment is what I'm seeing through viewfinder and how beautiful it may be and capturing it.    Long story short, my tale is massive family crisis 3 years ago....long story...but started selling off equipment for son's med bills piling up, doctors coming out of wood work, etc.  5dMII, many L series lenses that took long time to get...started with lenses didn't use all that much such as fisheye, ultra wide angles, then telephotos, then two macro lens 100 and the 180L, then speedlite, then twin lite for macro shots, then filters and....Every one broke my heart but had to.  My last to go was the 24-70 f2.8L and at that time my fave lens and then my 5dmii.  Couldn't part with my 5dmii so the 24-70 went first.  Told myself that I would not sell my 5dmii unless I absolutely had to.  Love the cam.  But sadly, day came when I had to sell it too.  Wouldn't even touch it and had friend come over to clean it up a bit, get box, manuals, etc., and out the door it went and he sold it for me.  Really sucky time all the way around but I have to admit, although my deep love for photography, there was a deeper love and that was my son.  Although great sorrow on many levels then but in regards to photography very much so and still pains me to this day but it was well worth it because it helped give me my son back, my family back, and normalcy once again which he is doing absolutely wonderful now!!!!!!  (gotta walk away from this one now for just a bit   :'( :'( :'()

So my smugmug account has been sitting idle for 2 years, still paying every year and reminder that one day soon....not sure when but one day soon will come back to it....love reunited!!!!  Determined and photog bug constantly biting me in the butt, workin' butt off.  I bought the 24-70L in September/October of this year with a flash card but no cam body to put it on so it sat in box starin' me down everyday.  Then bought the 100 f2.8L macro a few weeks later but still no cam body to put it on and now a growing display of lenses starin' me down.  But pushing me that much harder.  As a friend giggled at me and said, "You're building a museum of lenses." And still no cam body to put them on.  LOL  Yeah, yeah, I know, I know.  I'm gettin' there.  slowly but surely. 

I was waiting for the 5dmiii but all the delays and no announcements which I understand.  The announcement for the 1Dx beautiful cam but ticked me off a little because I was hoping for the 5dmiii announcement but nadda.  So 2 weeks later the day finally came and bought my 5DMII with extra battery and a grip !!!!!!!!!!   ;D :) :) :) ;D  OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!  Finally, 2 years or so without anything and determined to get it back and did!!!!!!  So now, still workin' butt off and making list of getting back what I gave up and which to get first.  First, telephoto lens, then speedlite, then mp-e 65mm, then fisheye and sigh...the list will continue to grow but don't mind at all.  I got my cam back!!!!! and 2 lenses to keep me good for a bit and it's ALL GOOD!!!!!!  As I get more time, I can finally get back to cleaning up my site, organizing it, taking stuff down and adding NEW STUFF soon hoping!!!!!  YaY, YaY, YaY!!!!!!

Not sure if this will be appropriate to say or not but will go ahead and say it......Don't live life in regret, it's too short because today may be your last.  If it's not, do your damndest to get back what you  love -- lost, gave up!!!!!  With great sorrow always comes great happiness!!!!  Makes you that much more stronger!!!!  :)

Angie

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »

Wow! What do you say after that story?

Sure glad to hear your son is now okay. Nothing is more important than family. Also glad that, because of your strength and passion, we'll all be able to see your vision continue.

Thanks for a moving story.

:(  Oh, man, Daggers through the heart when I saw this thread.  I've read all the posts up to now and so sad and the regrets...always that one or two that you wish you never got rid of or had to sell and wish'd you kept -- not only photog gear but other things as well.  Your babies!!  Not literally but ya know what I mean.  :)

Mine is *sigh* till this day...great sorrow of sorts because of deep love of photography.  Only hobby I've ever had where everything was left behind, work pressures, etc., when I'm out shooting.  And all that mattered at that moment is what I'm seeing through viewfinder and how beautiful it may be and capturing it.    Long story short, my tale is massive family crisis 3 years ago....long story...but started selling off equipment for son's med bills piling up, doctors coming out of wood work, etc.  5dMII, many L series lenses that took long time to get...started with lenses didn't use all that much such as fisheye, ultra wide angles, then telephotos, then two macro lens 100 and the 180L, then speedlite, then twin lite for macro shots, then filters and....Every one broke my heart but had to.  My last to go was the 24-70 f2.8L and at that time my fave lens and then my 5dmii.  Couldn't part with my 5dmii so the 24-70 went first.  Told myself that I would not sell my 5dmii unless I absolutely had to.  Love the cam.  But sadly, day came when I had to sell it too.  Wouldn't even touch it and had friend come over to clean it up a bit, get box, manuals, etc., and out the door it went and he sold it for me.  Really sucky time all the way around but I have to admit, although my deep love for photography, there was a deeper love and that was my son.  Although great sorrow on many levels then but in regards to photography very much so and still pains me to this day but it was well worth it because it helped give me my son back, my family back, and normalcy once again which he is doing absolutely wonderful now!!!!!!  (gotta walk away from this one now for just a bit   :'( :'( :'()

So my smugmug account has been sitting idle for 2 years, still paying every year and reminder that one day soon....not sure when but one day soon will come back to it....love reunited!!!!  Determined and photog bug constantly biting me in the butt, workin' butt off.  I bought the 24-70L in September/October of this year with a flash card but no cam body to put it on so it sat in box starin' me down everyday.  Then bought the 100 f2.8L macro a few weeks later but still no cam body to put it on and now a growing display of lenses starin' me down.  But pushing me that much harder.  As a friend giggled at me and said, "You're building a museum of lenses." And still no cam body to put them on.  LOL  Yeah, yeah, I know, I know.  I'm gettin' there.  slowly but surely. 

I was waiting for the 5dmiii but all the delays and no announcements which I understand.  The announcement for the 1Dx beautiful cam but ticked me off a little because I was hoping for the 5dmiii announcement but nadda.  So 2 weeks later the day finally came and bought my 5DMII with extra battery and a grip !!!!!!!!!!   ;D :) :) :) ;D  OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!  Finally, 2 years or so without anything and determined to get it back and did!!!!!!  So now, still workin' butt off and making list of getting back what I gave up and which to get first.  First, telephoto lens, then speedlite, then mp-e 65mm, then fisheye and sigh...the list will continue to grow but don't mind at all.  I got my cam back!!!!! and 2 lenses to keep me good for a bit and it's ALL GOOD!!!!!!  As I get more time, I can finally get back to cleaning up my site, organizing it, taking stuff down and adding NEW STUFF soon hoping!!!!!  YaY, YaY, YaY!!!!!!

Not sure if this will be appropriate to say or not but will go ahead and say it......Don't live life in regret, it's too short because today may be your last.  If it's not, do your damndest to get back what you  love -- lost, gave up!!!!!  With great sorrow always comes great happiness!!!!  Makes you that much more stronger!!!!  :)

Angie

You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »

pelebel

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Photographes de mariage et d'évènements à Québec
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 06:11:04 PM »
I wish I never sold my soul to photography! Now I'm trapped in torments of pure creative pleasure!
5D mkII, T2i with 24-70mm f/2.8 L, 135mm f/2 L and 50mm f/1.8 II Photographes de mariage et d'évènements à Québec

Angie

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »

Wow! What do you say after that story?

Sure glad to hear your son is now okay. Nothing is more important than family. Also glad that, because of your strength and passion, we'll all be able to see your vision continue.

Thanks for a moving story.

;D  Ty!! He's doing absolutely beautiful now.  Such a strong boy and close to full recovery -- although has a few psychological scars from such a traumatic event.  But other than that, couldn't have asked for anything more!!  What brings even more joy to me is that we finally get to go do what we enjoyed so much before and that's camping trips, photography trips, hiking, seeing new places, etc., esp seeing the look on his face with it pressed up against the glass when we get there early morning sunrise and he gets to see wildlife.  So many benefits not only for myself but my son's as well.  It's the little things that we all take for granted and so used to having.  But when it's stripped away from you, it's the little things that count the most and what brings you the most pleasure.  :)

When I told him I was getting my cam again, he was so excited.  But the day it came from B&H and I showed him, his eyes lit up with a huge smile.  First thing he said was, "When are we going to Yosemite?  Mom, I don't want to camp. We can stay in a hotel where it's warmer."   LMAO!!!  Life is good and glorious.  Long road to get it back and almost there.  Hoping to make it to Yosemite in the next two weeks or definitely after Xmas or even Death Valley would be nice.  But my son's fave is Yosemite and the snow so that will be the place we will go for first photog trip!!!  What we all do for our loves be it family or photography!!!  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »